Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
tinman50

tie down mounts in impact and fusion

does anyone but me think the15000 supposedly supper strong hold down mounts in the impact and fusion garages are a joke they say they are good for 15000 lbs but are so shallow you can only hook the cheap s hook style tie downs to them. i have a 1500 lb side by side i carry in my 2016 impact 311 and prefer the 4" wide trucker style tie downs with spring lock closures. but eve though they are only about an inch and a half thick they won't connect to the tie down bars. i finally found some spring lock chain hooks with a flat section on the bottom that will fit and hooked them to the floor mounts so i can use my heavy duty tie downs. I'm amazed nobody at the factory never bothered to try various types of tie downs to see if the mounts worked with every style of tie down.
tinman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The guys at the factory are too busy installing the parts designed by the engineering department to be used. And we all know the engineers DON'T do any "real world" testing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I'm pleased with mine but I'm also not using super duty sized straps. My bike has never moved while being carried with s hook straps. Also, the tie downs are 5k each welded to the frame. They do beat the D rings that were in my previous Forest River 26rr which were screwed into the floor plywood with dry wall screws.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:31 AM   #4
roadglide

5000 lbs welded to the fram is a lot safer then ancor bolts. A couple 1500 lbs strips will hold any load in these rvs unless you maybe run it off a cliff.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:44 AM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The guys at the factory are too busy installing the parts designed by the engineering department to be used. And we all know the engineers DON'T do any "real world" testing.
Nothing like OJT to polish the apple properly. If they had to fix or operate what they designed, Tourette's Syndrome at the end user level would decrease.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Nothing like OJT to polish the apple properly. If they had to fix or operate what they designed, Tourette's Syndrome at the end user level would decrease.

And in the service bays LOL.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
twvette

Yep, they are stupid that cant put a "real" hook on them. I have a related post on this too. Have searched high and low and tried several hooks and so far this is the best one:

Heavy Duty Black Vinyl Coated S-Hook w/ Keeper - 1"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[/QUOTE]

It fits and closes but it cant really lie down at proper angle again due to the small diameter hole they used so its still a little awkward using them. The safety clip can get bent up a bit. It allow me to hook my Macs tie downs to the eyelet and have never come loose, but thats also because I tie down to suspension arms so there is not movement for them to break loose.

I still have not found the mystery ones they use in there demo video for the welded mounting.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:00 AM   #8
xcntrk

I too haul a SXS and do tend to agree with the OP. What good are these welded to the frame connections if you can't get a snap hook from a 2" strap on it? The best solution I could find is to use a double finger hook and use all 2" hardware, but not being able to get a positive locking hook into the plate is unnerving as the rig bounces going down the road.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:33 AM   #9
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman50 View Post
does anyone but me think the15000 supposedly supper strong hold down mounts in the impact and fusion garages are a joke they say they are good for 15000 lbs but are so shallow you can only hook the cheap s hook style tie downs to them. i have a 1500 lb side by side i carry in my 2016 impact 311 and prefer the 4" wide trucker style tie downs with spring lock closures. but eve though they are only about an inch and a half thick they won't connect to the tie down bars. i finally found some spring lock chain hooks with a flat section on the bottom that will fit and hooked them to the floor mounts so i can use my heavy duty tie downs. I'm amazed nobody at the factory never bothered to try various types of tie downs to see if the mounts worked with every style of tie down.
You are way over-thinking it, thinking that you need 4" trucker straps. You've got a 1500 lb machine which all of the weight is on the floor of the toy hauler. Your tie down straps don't need to be anywhere near as large as what you want to use. A good quality ratchet type tie down strap ( Ancra brand is about the best you can buy) will more than suffice for holding the side by side in place. One strap on each corner pulling down and away from the vehicle and it's rock solid. I have a set of Ancra straps that I purchased in 1973 or 1974 and although I really don't use them for tying down motorcycles much anymore, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for that if needed. And the good news is that a regular strap like the Ancra will fit into the tire down anchors in the floor with no problems.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #10
whitescrew77

Tie down straps

https://www.amazon.com/AFA-Workload-...wn+strap&psc=1

I use straps similar to these to loop through the floor tie downs, and hook in my ratchet straps. They work well in our Impact 351, holding down a lifted electric golf cart. Cart weighs about 900 lbs.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
Sandi587

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitescrew77 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/AFA-Workload-...wn+strap&psc=1

I use straps similar to these to loop through the floor tie downs, and hook in my ratchet straps. They work well in our Impact 351, holding down a lifted electric golf cart. Cart weighs about 900 lbs.
That's what I use also to tie down the bike. Mine are rated at 5000 pounds each. Easy to loop through the tie down and hook on a locking hook ratchet strap.

2013 Dodge Ram Dually
2014 Fuzion 404 Chrome
Sandi587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:24 AM   #12
BlueknightWI

We just hauled our Harley Ultra Limited to Sturgis and back in our 2015 Impact 311. I use 2 3000 lb straps on the front fender/fork tubes, and two more coming off the floorboard mounts to the rear. The bike wiggles around, I'm sure, but was totally stable each time I stopped and checked on it. I agree with the rest that you may be using too much strap for your needs.
BlueknightWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #13
twvette

Was finally was able to do another round of testing a couple other options purchased and both seem great! My hunt is over ...

The orange DC Cargo 3K will just fit and are secured. Heck even without the latch these would be really hard to have them slip off but still not hard to put on. The safety latch is much beefier than the S hook I posted earlier and don't think it will get damaged but need to test a little more to ensure. The hook pivots around much better too and lies a bit flatter if needed to all around much better. Nice quality ratchet etc too and can tell these are heavy duty. I hate to say it but my Mac straps are likely staying at home now for flat bed use.

The yellow Rhino loop straps also worked very well. These are nice and heaviest duty 1.5in with rating at 10k. I believe that rating is with it wrapped around bar and only latched to one of the end loops but I also confirmed works well attaching to both end loops for what should be even more strength. I might just use these as I use my garage as a garage so could just leave them attached and not really have anything to trip over. Might also allow me to extend under my tires if ever want to try tire nets that are normally directly under my tires.

Both available on Amazon ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7654.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	13687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7656.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	13688   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7657.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	13689  
Old 08-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
xcntrk

<---- Hits purchase on some Rhino Straps! Thanks!

Old 08-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #15
Signguy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvette View Post
Was finally was able to do another round of testing a couple other options purchased and both seem great! My hunt is over ...

The orange DC Cargo 3K will just fit and are secured. Heck even without the latch these would be really hard to have them slip off but still not hard to put on. The safety latch is much beefier than the S hook I posted earlier and don't think it will get damaged but need to test a little more to ensure. The hook pivots around much better too and lies a bit flatter if needed to all around much better. Nice quality ratchet etc too and can tell these are heavy duty. I hate to say it but my Mac straps are likely staying at home now for flat bed use.

The yellow Rhino loop straps also worked very well. These are nice and heaviest duty 1.5in with rating at 10k. I believe that rating is with it wrapped around bar and only latched to one of the end loops but I also confirmed works well attaching to both end loops for what should be even more strength. I might just use these as I use my garage as a garage so could just leave them attached and not really have anything to trip over. Might also allow me to extend under my tires if ever want to try tire nets that are normally directly under my tires.

Both available on Amazon ...
Do you have a link for the orange strap with hook?
Signguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #16
twvette

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that is only two pack so get two. I forgot to mention also that has built in D ring which might come in handy to make "soft loop" on ride strapping down, but I prefer much softer "soft loops" like Macs that truly wont scratch anything up.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #17
rsl

Am I missing something? Why would you need to have such big straps? My unit has a 3000 lb cargo capacity in the garage. With that max two straps with 1500 lb each capacity or four with a 750 lbs capacity would be the max. Wallyworld sell that capacity strap pretty cheap all day long.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #18
twvette

I am sure most of us are going overkill as if in a bad accident its going to be a yard sale regardless. But, the cargo capacity is not the same as force needed to stop a moving object going down highway.

My 1500lb vehicle at 60 MPH equals about 4,100lbs of force to try and stop. We typically move a bit faster in AZ and who knows how many of my four straps will be in play in an incident so I will shoot for the impractical worse case of single strap taking it all on. Will then raise myself to shoot for 5k straps since that is what my individual mounting points are rated at so doing all I can really.

*** I am not the strap police ... I will still use my 3k straps ... use what you are most comfortable with ***
Old 08-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #19
Desert185

A quick stop, as in a collision, could result in a 4 or 5g situation. So if the vehicle weighed 1,000# there would be a 4,000# to 5,000# force trying to propel the vehicle forward. If anything, use straps that, combined, are at least rated at that level on the rear tiedown points.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #20
xcntrk

I'm more for practicality... A 1" strap (and accompanying tiny ratchet) can't even supply enough tension to compress the suspension on my SXS. With 18" of suspension travel and strap mount points that are up on the chassis (as opposed to wheel nets), I need to compress the suspension while strapping to ensure the rig isn't going anywhere while it bounces going down the road. A solid 2" strap and much larger ratchet has enough strength and leverage to suck the suspension down.