Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
msubobcats

Cougar refrigerators

Just want to verify something on the Cougar fridges. I guess they all have that silly rheostat type adjustment? Those are not residential refrigerators, correct? And am I correct that residential fridges do not operate on propane and that is why they call them residential? So is there a way to replace the "Cougar style" fridge with one that has the standard knob adjustment? Would there be any advantages as far as cooling and temp adjustments...
Hope I stated my questions understandably. Thank you...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I will try to answer what I think your asking.
RESIDENTIAL fridge: uses a compressor and cools in the same manner as your A/C. It will only operate on 110VAC

RV fridge: does not have a compressor. It needs 12VDC to power the controls that choose what "fuel" to use to cool. In AUTO mode, the control board will always use the electric heating element if 110VAC is present, if not it will choose LP and light the flame. You can force it to LP by either pushing the auto/LP knob, or in the case of a Norcold automatic refer unplugging the 110 cord at the back of the refer.

Now on to temp control:
In some units it's automatic, and the only adjustment is moving the thermistor up/down on the fins in the refer. Some units have a temp set button ranging from 1-5 or 1-9 depending on brand/model. In all RV refers, the temp is dependent on placement of the thermistor.

I don't believe you can alter the workings to install a dial to control temps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a "snip the tip" mod kit available for Dometic refrigerators that eliminates the thermistor and replaces it with a "rotary thumb dial" type of thermostat. I have no experience with it, have never used (or even seen) one and I don't know if it is a waste of time and money or a step up in refrigerator control.... Anyway, I'm not sure what the OP is asking, but I think it's whether there is a way to exchange his "no rotary thermostat" LP/electric Dometic refrigerator for one like in his home that has a compressor and rotary thermostat. If that's what he's asking, it's possible, but with it comes a lot of limitations on travel/dry camping. If those limitations don't matter, it's a matter of finding a refrigerator that "fits the hole", sealing the outside wall/roof vents and installing the new one.

If, on the other hand, he's asking, "is there a rotary thermostat that would better control my original Dometic refrigerator", then this link might be one solution: http://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:02 AM   #4
Frank G

To add to the confusion, I am setting in our Laredo 325RL witch has a Norcold 4dr Fridge. It utilizes electronic controls and the internal temp is controlled by pressing the cooling setting on the keypad. It is set on 5. My wife purchased this unit because of the fridge. (it eliminated everything on the lot)

In my opinion, residential refrigerators are not built to withstand the bumps and bruises of RV travels.

Time for coffee
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #5
Acableguy06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is a "snip the tip" mod kit available for Dometic refrigerators that eliminates the thermistor and replaces it with a "rotary thumb dial" type of thermostat. I have no experience with it, have never used (or even seen) one and I don't know if it is a waste of time and money or a step up in refrigerator control....

If, on the other hand, he's asking, "is there a rotary thermostat that would better control my original Dometic refrigerator", then this link might be one solution: http://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi
I have used one of these in an old unit I had that the thermistor failed on. Actually worked really well, considered putting on in my "New" camper. Will probably wait to see how the thermistor works out.

Tags
cougar