Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 05:54 AM   #1
Jetfixer03

Rookie cold weather question

Ok guys, I couldn't resist de-winterizing my new Passport last week. We seem to be mostly over winter, but there are a few straggler cold days coming through. I'm at 8600 ft in Colorado, overnight Friday it's forcast to get to 28. Keeping the trailer warm is easy enough, but I don't have a cold weather package, so the underside is open. I do have a place down the hill I could move it to where it'll be above freezing, but if there is enough residual heat to not worry about 28 I'd just as soon leave it where it is. I'm kind of talking myself into moving it as I type this...

Opinions?
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Nobody can make any guarantees, even someone with exactly the same trailer. Imagine if yours has a cold water line just 1" closer to the sidewall than theirs.... If your water line touches the sidewall, theirs doesn't, the potential for damage is far greater in your trailer. Conversely, something as simple as using the same heater, you leave your cupboard doors open, they don't... They have a greater possibility for freezing under the sink....

So, it's pretty much an individual thing. Usually, unless you're going to have a "hard freeze" (below about 20F for more than an hour or so) you should be OK with just some internal heat at night. Remember, during the day, the trailer will absorb heat from the sun and that will carry it "above the danger zone" for much of the night. It's only after the structure gets below 32F that you have to worry about things inside the trailer.

Now, as for the exposed tanks under the trailer.... I'd suggest you make sure they are completely empty. Remember the 3" and the 1.5" black plastic plumbing runs to the valves. They are probably more subject to freeze damage (along with the valves) than the tanks, assuming the tanks are empty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Are you using your fresh water tank or city water? If city water I'd definitely disconnect my hose. The inside should stay warm enough for those pipes for one night. Your black/gray gates may freeze up but should be ok. Others should chime in on these questions. You can always mount a trouble light under your dump valves. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
66joej

^ ^As Chip and John said. I also used a trouble light in the dump valve area of my old 5er. Did the trick in freezing weather.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #5
mfifield01

At 28, I had my fresh water hose freeze up. The sun thawed in about an hour.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
Jetfixer03

I'm mostly just concerned about the lines and valves underneath. A couple of lights didn't occur to me, that's a great idea. At that temp it doesn't take much. The water in my chicken coop won't be frozen at that temp. I can hook up a hose and run some warm water through the lines and fire up the water heater a bit before bed
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote