Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
Richard Noble

Cool drain pulls

I need to replace the two "T" pulls (cables) for the bath. Both grey and black. They are very hard to close. Looking under the '09 Challenger 5er I find that the two tanks drain through pipes ran thru holes cut in the back frame of the drop-down front frame. I have installed a metal bottom that I would have to (in part) drop to get to the existing cables. I'm thinking of cutting the two drain pipes that drain into a large pipe that drains to the outside, installing two valves, and re-plumbing back into the main drain. I will also have to re-plumb the kitchen grey tank drain since it drains into the main drain. This way I will be able to install straight pulls to the outside and be able to get to them in the future if needed. I'll have to insulate the valves, also.

What think you one and all?
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
Dave W

It sounds like a lot of work without much added benefit. Whichever way you go, you still need to pull the belly cover to reach the existing drains and a simple cable and possibly a valve replacement may be all you need to do vs. a bunch of not so nice plumbing runs with ABS piping that requires special glue as well as DWV fittings that your local big box store may not carry.

Of course it is your RV to do what you please
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
Garyl53

I just modified my drain T-handle pulls in my 2007 KS Challenger. I found it very difficult to move them also. I discovered that both cables were making very sharp turns just behind the panel that they were mounted. I rerouted the cables so they were straighter, and then I used the trick of pouring vegetable oil into the empty tanks and then moving the t-handles rapidly as they drained. Made a big difference and now they are much easier. You may want to see if this issue exists in your unit before taking everything apart which is a big, big job. Good luck.
Garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
Richard Noble

Thanks for your replies. I got under the 5er and got a better look. I will have to remove a panel to fix this problem. The plumbing for both drains is too close to the frame to enable me to install valves on the outside. Guess I'll just bit the bullet and get into it.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote