Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #1
Love to Camp

New Member with questions on Springdale 271RL

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the site and need some input from Keystone owners. We are considering trading our 2012 Gulfstream for a 2016 Springdale 271RL. Been reading reviews from different sites and Keystone doesn't seem to have a lot of good reviews.

The travel trailer we are looking at has some surface rust on the frame and we were concerned with that since the manufacturer date is January 2016 and this is just March. Also, have read a lot about roofs leaking....anyone had any issues with this?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Love to Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:49 AM   #2
cw3jason

If you are in New England like me or anywhere else the roads get treated with sodium, surface rust is very normal. I just brush it off and touch up with spray paint to keep corrosion at bay and keep the rig looking good. Keystone is no different then any company out there. some units have issues most don't, but you will always see more negative post than positive ones, because people don't usually say anything unless something is wrong. All manufactures pretty much use the same products to assemble their RVs. The frames come from Lippert, axles from Dexter, so on and so fourth. Always inspect your roof at least twice a year and re-seal with Dicor if needed. This will keep your unit from leaking.
Find a floor plan you like and a dealer you can trust to do the warranty work, because no matter which brand you go with, your likely to have some issues. and the most important thing is to enjoy your RV once you get it.
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:31 AM   #3
GaryWT

There are good and bad reviews about any trailer out there. Frames sometimes sit outside for months until it is time to build so I would guess some rust a little.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Love to Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
If you are in New England like me or anywhere else the roads get treated with sodium, surface rust is very normal. I just brush it off and touch up with spray paint to keep corrosion at bay and keep the rig looking good. Keystone is no different then any company out there. some units have issues most don't, but you will always see more negative post than positive ones, because people don't usually say anything unless something is wrong. All manufactures pretty much use the same products to assemble their RVs. The frames come from Lippert, axles from Dexter, so on and so fourth. Always inspect your roof at least twice a year and re-seal with Dicor if needed. This will keep your unit from leaking.
Find a floor plan you like and a dealer you can trust to do the warranty work, because no matter which brand you go with, your likely to have some issues. and the most important thing is to enjoy your RV once you get it.
Thanks for the information.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

As stated above, RV's are built in Indiana and may sit for a while before they are moved. Unless the trailer is short, it is most likely towed by a transporting company and as such is dragged across roads that may have been treated with de icing solutions. Not uncommon at all this time of year to see surface rust on the frame. All the manufacturers use pretty much the same components and appliances only difference is where they are (floor plan).

Being an RV tech, I get to see first hand many different brands and a real close look at how they are built. Keystone may not be the best, but I can say without any reservation, they are far better than most.

Hope this helps, if YOU like the floor plan and have the ability to tow it safely, get it and enjoy it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:05 AM   #6
Love to Camp

Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
BlueThunder34

Smile

We have a 2015 Springdale 240BH and absolutely love it! No big issues at all the first year of ownership and have had it out a ton last year. Put about 2,500 miles on it last year and never required a trip back to the dealer like so many horror stories we read about before purchasing. It is an entry level trailer but seems well constructed from what we have experienced and we appreciate the larger holding tanks vs the light weights we also looked at. Like others have said every brand has horror stories about issues but those are the ones who write reviews for the most part, it's the old saying "make a customer happy and they tell 1 person, make them upset and they tell 100."
No roof issues to date either, we check every 6 months as recommended.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
dcg9381

Frame manufacturers seem to go sparingly on the paint. Ours was delivered in the winter - I think a lot of that comes from manufacturing to delivery in the winter time when there may be sodium (or similar) on the road. Slowly re-painting mine.

All RV roofs leak if you don't keep up with them once or twice per year. They should not leak from the factory.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Love to Camp

Thanks everyone for your input. We decided to purchase the Springdale 271RL and scheduled to pick it up on Wednesday. Already have our first camping trip scheduled for the week after Easter....
Old 03-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
Tbos

Enjoy that new rig and welcome to the Forum from Southern MD. Post pictures when you get it home. We love to see everyone's setups.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:40 PM   #11
theeyres

We had a Springdale a few years back and loved it. It was amongst the best we have owned. Wouldn't have sold it but we went full-time so needed a large fiver. When we got off the road looked for another used Springdale but just couldn't find what we wanted. You will enjoy it and hope you have as good of luck as we did with ours.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:56 AM   #12
natedog_37

Love my Springdale.

Only true issue I have had is the awing.

Small things here and there but that is common in any trailer. Even my dads $$$ bighorn had issues.
natedog_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #13
KSH

No problems with my Springdale
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

We had a Springdale fifth wheel for 3 years. The only problem we had was the refrigerator cooling unit. Dometic fixed it, it wasn't a "Springdale problem". Otherwise, a great camping trailer.

We'd still have it except for that darned tree that tried to "break and enter" through the roof.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #15
cabinfever

We have a 2013 303 and have had zero issues. We have about 200 nights in ours.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote