Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
jrwittman1

Converting from 1 12v to two 6v

I know there is a lot of posts on this but with my camper (2011 Copper canyon) my current 12 sits in a vented box that hangs halfway below the floor in the front. I like that since it gives plenty of head room between it and the flip up floor (carpeted part of main storage space). I am going to two GC2 group batteries and looking for pics, info, ideas on a layout/box or two boxes to put the batteries in. Also I noticed on a few threads that people installed an inverter to their 6's...is that necessary?
1 line to rear airbags and other to connect to GooseBox(quick connect)
jrwittman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwittman1 View Post
I Also I noticed on a few threads that people installed an inverter to their 6's...is that necessary?
If you want to use the inverter to have 110VAC available, then it might be something to consider. If you don't want to use 110vac, then it is not necessary to install an inverter. You need to decide if you want to be able to use 110VAC if you are not connected to shore power but first you need to figure out what you want to use the 110VAC for. Charging electronic equipment? Watching TV? Other???

The inverter will draw from your 2 6volts - the larger the inverter and depending upon the use you have in mind for the 110vAC, the quicker your batteries will drain. With 2 6volts you are not about to run the A/C or any other high current/wattage item like a toaster, microwave or coffee pot for any length of time or at all.

Without knowing your plans about using an inverter it's hard to say if one is necessary at all or what size you would need.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If your current single battery is in a box that hangs on the floor, you can get a single box for two 6V batteries. If I was doing this I would remove the single box, drill a hole in the bottom of the new box for venting. Then straddle the hole and attach the current vent hose to the lid of the new box.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
SkiSmuggs

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18967

I thought about a built in inverter, but TV and DVD player are the only things I would want from 110v and I already have a 300w inverter that plugs into a 12v outlet. Then I remembered my leaf blower that I use to clean my slide tops would be useless as it needs about 900 watts. However, cordless leaf blowers are way cheaper than a 1000-1500w inverter.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #5
arturob

Cheap inverter

I use a 3600watt inverter that I run from two Rolls S550 batteries. I got the inverter from http://www.theinverterstore.com/3600...-inverter.html
This unit has a 3-terminal output in addition to the regular 110v sockets so I wired a 30amp socket to the 3 terminals and now I have a receptacle that looks and works like the one you find in your average campground. The unit cost $314. I have run the microwave continuously with this unit for 30 minutes without draining my batteries completely, I regularly use a 7amp electric chainsaw for firewood, run 2 TVs, charge 4 laptops - bags of power for everything I want. When we were in Yuma over the winter the batteries were usually fully charged before noon each day using 2 190watt solar panels. We are currently in B.C. canada and it has been peeing down for two days. I do have to move the solar panels every few hours to take the most advantage of the very weak sunlight but I have been able to keep the batteries topped up without feeling I have to watch every little bit of power I use.
arturob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18967

I thought about a built in inverter, but TV and DVD player are the only things I would want from 110v and I already have a 300w inverter that plugs into a 12v outlet. Then I remembered my leaf blower that I use to clean my slide tops would be useless as it needs about 900 watts. However, cordless leaf blowers are way cheaper than a 1000-1500w inverter.
I never thought about using the leaf blower for that.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post

...add a gutter kit and it works great!!
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #8
Yosemitebob

Why not just use a transfer switch
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 AM   #9
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post

I put the telescoping ladder between the slides and use the leaf blower to remove debris prior to bringing the slides in. Beats getting on the roof with a broom. If there is something stubborn, I move the ladder closer to the offending material and nudge with the tip of the blower.