Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #1
dmullen

Bedlift Kit

Has anyone installed one of the Bedlift Kits from Hatchlift.com? I have a 2014 Bullet 246RBS with the factory queen mattress and a 4" topper and am not sure whether to get the Standard or the Large kit. There is not very many videos on installing these things as far as detailing how to measure.
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmullen View Post
Has anyone installed one of the Bedlift Kits from Hatchlift.com? I have a 2014 Bullet 246RBS with the factory queen mattress and a 4" topper and am not sure whether to get the Standard or the Large kit. There is not very many videos on installing these things as far as detailing how to measure.
I just did mine a month or so ago. I would buy it from somewhere like Camping World and start with the standard. I have a queen mattress, but my bed box is xtra short. I had to take whichever one I bought first back and get a shorter strut for mine.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
locomech

Quote:
Last Fall I installed a lift kit on our 245RB Passport. We purchased it at Camping World, and it was the standard kit for a short queen bed. Since the Passport is a light weight trailer I had to do some reinforcing to the bed box and lid in order to mount the gas struts. After mounting them I felt that I wasted a lot of time and money because the lid would not stay closed. After a lot of frustration I felt like hell with it and I'll take it apart tomorrow, so I put the mattress on the lid and to my surprise the lid stayed closed . So, after you install the struts put the mattress on it and you may avoid what I put myself through.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomech View Post
Last Fall I installed a lift kit on our 245RB Passport. We purchased it at Camping World, and it was the standard kit for a short queen bed. Since the Passport is a light weight trailer I had to do some reinforcing to the bed box and lid in order to mount the gas struts. After mounting them I felt that I wasted a lot of time and money because the lid would not stay closed. After a lot of frustration I felt like hell with it and I'll take it apart tomorrow, so I put the mattress on the lid and to my surprise the lid stayed closed . So, after you install the struts put the mattress on it and you may avoid what I put myself through.
Sometimes you have to move the struts forward or backwards to get a good close. They tell you to make sure to test them with ALL the bedding in place. Mine is a bit stiff, but I am going to be adding a 4" topper to ours. If it is still hard to close after that, I will move the strut mounts a bit further to soften them up.

Every unit is a bit different, so the dimensions for the mounts that work on one unit, may not work on the next. I have never had to move them more than a couple of inches forward or rear to get them to work properly.

Aaron
Old 03-29-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Woodsrider

Quote:
You'll need the short struts. look closely at the box. There is a set for a large compartment and one for the smaller compartment. (if your storage is less than half the bed) I bought the wrong ones on the first trip.
As stated earlier, you'll need to reinforce the walls of the compartment for installation. (at least I had to)
It may require some trial and error to get the placement right for good closure, so make the reinforcement about three times the length and height you think you'll need.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
wahoonc

Here is a link to another thread on the bed struts. I have pictures on that one of how I installed them on my unit. My storage compartment is pretty short. You may have to get creative to make them work. But they are a great upgrade and beat the fool out of getting smacked in the head trying to get stuff out of the compartment.

Aaron
Old 04-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
dmullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrider View Post
You'll need the short struts. look closely at the box. There is a set for a large compartment and one for the smaller compartment. (if your storage is less than half the bed) I bought the wrong ones on the first trip.
As stated earlier, you'll need to reinforce the walls of the compartment for installation. (at least I had to)
It may require some trial and error to get the placement right for good closure, so make the reinforcement about three times the length and height you think you'll need.
Thank you for the tip on the short struts, I would have ordered the wrong size. I was thinking I needed the Standard size.
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
ajk170

Has anybody used these struts with Keystone's rest-n-read tilt system? It's extremely heavy and we hand to use the lifts just for that reason but think the lifts might not be able to handle the weight
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote