Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #21
W5WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Not exactly... in Texas, inspection for registration certificate ONLY if the trailer weighs in excess of some given weight. Our DMV goes off some book or such and my fifth wheel doesn't need to be inspected; it is about 7K lbs unloaded and about 8500 lbs loaded (guesstimations). I think the magic weight is 7500 and under NO INSPECTION! This came about in 2017 when Gov. A. signed a bill moving inspectable weight from 4500 to 7500 lbs.

As I said, don't know how they come up with my fifth wheel's weight as you can't read any of the original weight or info tags on my 2002.

https://www.chron.com/news/transport...t-11214355.php
My experience here in Texas is that if you are not towing the trailer on the road (it's parked and not moved) you can get by with not tagging it with no penalty. I let mine sit for three years and when I decided to tow it again I got it inspected and tagged with no penalty.

I suspect this is a state by state concern though...
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #22
SteveSykes

NYS trailer plates renewals get sent each year in December. This December when the renewal document is sent, ignore it and just leave the plate on it. Be sure that your insurance company is ok with that. If the trailer isn’t going to move, no one will chase you down to see if it is inspected.

Steve
SteveSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #23
LadyFaire

WOW! Looks like one of the very FEW things good about Virginia is that you can get permanent plates for various kinds of vehicles. Pickup trucks, trailers, campers, RVs (as opposed to tag-a-longs) and so forth. Unless I got stopped by a cop who was looking for ANYTHING for a citation, I don't have to worry about inspection stickers on my towed vehicles. Around here (NOT in northern or east coast VA) most open utility trailers are never registered or inspected!! I had a cop tell me that as long as I kept ONE registered trailer of any sort with a permanent plate, I could just move the plate from trailer to trailer. When they run trailer plates, it just comes back as a generic 'trailer' - no VIN, no style (box, boat, utility, camper) and a valid plate is a valid plate. With the camper, it IS properly registered and has permanent plates, with the registration in the glove box and a duplicate registration inside the camper. I also have the plate for my utility trailer.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #24
ScottG67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaire View Post
WOW! Looks like one of the very FEW things good about Virginia is that you can get permanent plates for various kinds of vehicles. Pickup trucks, trailers, campers, RVs (as opposed to tag-a-longs) and so forth. Unless I got stopped by a cop who was looking for ANYTHING for a citation, I don't have to worry about inspection stickers on my towed vehicles. Around here (NOT in northern or east coast VA) most open utility trailers are never registered or inspected!! I had a cop tell me that as long as I kept ONE registered trailer of any sort with a permanent plate, I could just move the plate from trailer to trailer. When they run trailer plates, it just comes back as a generic 'trailer' - no VIN, no style (box, boat, utility, camper) and a valid plate is a valid plate. With the camper, it IS properly registered and has permanent plates, with the registration in the glove box and a duplicate registration inside the camper. I also have the plate for my utility trailer.
Someone is lying to you. I live in Virginia and a vehicle inspection is required on all trailers that are big enough to have brakes on them. It doesn't matter what kind of license plate you have. A small utility trailer (without brakes) does not require an inspection. Look around at the frames of campers, near the tongue, you will find inspection stickers that look just like the one on your windshield.
ScottG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #25
Brantlaker

NYS Inspection

My trailer is registered in New York but kept in Florida. In the last 4 years I have re registered without inspection 4 times online at no point in the process does it ask if it is inspected. Just do it and if you have to move it back to NY drive carefully until you have it done.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #26
LadyFaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG67 View Post
Someone is lying to you. I live in Virginia and a vehicle inspection is required on all trailers that are big enough to have brakes on them. It doesn't matter what kind of license plate you have. A small utility trailer (without brakes) does not require an inspection. Look around at the frames of campers, near the tongue, you will find inspection stickers that look just like the one on your windshield.

You misunderstand, sir. I didn't intend to intimate that it wasn't required, just that no one bothers on the smaller trailers and campers. Yes, my camper has a valid, current inspection. The comments were concerning whether or not you could get away with NOT having an inspection if the camper was parked, and that if you didn't have it inspected, you couldn't renew the registration. The DMV in Virginia does NOT track inspections - that is, they are not reported to the DMV. If you get STOPPED with an expired inspection sticker on a motor vehicle, they will give you a ticket. Mom's vehicle hasn't had an inspection done in 4 years. She still keeps renewing the registration every year. She just doesn't DRIVE anywhere.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:49 PM   #27
Northern Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Florida doesn't even have vehicle inspections anymore, let alone trailers.
Florida dropped air pollution inspections as everyone's waste of time, money & adminstration costs.

The big benefit to the state is a revenue source.
Northern Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #28
LadyFaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5WI View Post
My experience here in Texas is that if you are not towing the trailer on the road (it's parked and not moved) you can get by with not tagging it with no penalty. I let mine sit for three years and when I decided to tow it again I got it inspected and tagged with no penalty.

I suspect this is a state by state concern though...

In Virginia, even if a vehicle is not being used on the highway (motor vehicle, don't know about trailers/campers), the state gets their money (fees and/or taxes). The ONLY way around that, is if it has no wheels and is up on blocks. You can let the plates expire, but when you renew, they take the BACK fees as well. And you still have to pay the personal property taxes. In our area, you pay the state vehicle registration, the COUNTY vehicle registration and the personal property taxes. We figured that if you purchased a NEW motor vehicle and kept it 20 years, you paid full price for the vehicle 3 times. Not kidding. I WAS pleasantly surprised at how low the personal property taxes were on the camper. They are not much different as what they charge for my open utility trailer! We were expecting something closer to the taxes we pay on our car and truck. Back 12-15 years ago when gas went so high, we actually saw NICE class A RVs parked in lots or fields beside the road with for sale signs that stated you could HAVE the RV if you paid the back taxes on it!

Old 08-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #29
jimborokz

There is no verification record in NY to know if your trailer has been inspected. Just the sticker they give you to keep with the registration. Once your registration runs out the end of the first year after you move it to the campground just leave the plate on it as was mentioned earlier. I have had several trailers left unregistered for years. If you decide to use it later on the road you just go to DMV and register it again. They will give you a ten day permit that gives you ten days to have it inspected. If you were to say just move it to a different campground and park it within that ten days you really wouldn't need to get it inspected. I have actually been stopped with a boat trailer that was more than a year past due and the plate missing, presumably lost at the boat launch, and was just given a warning and told to get a plate. At the time I lived about 200 yards from the boat launch and used to sneak in a launch all the time.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer