Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2020, 06:05 AM   #41
jimborokz

Flushables?

Tenants in my late MIL's house called that the onsite septic system was backed up. Called in the honey wagon and as he was pumping he called me over to show me maybe 1000 flushable wipes in the tank, still very much in tact.
I told the tenants that the next time they will pay the pumper. They now happily use a trash can. No flushable is "flushable...anywhere. OK, yes they will flush, but they never break down.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:41 AM   #42
flybouy
Site Team

Flushable wipes, AKA "the plumber's retirement fund".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #43
GlampingHippie

Get a diaper genie.
They shouldn't be flushed down any system.
GlampingHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #44
coop341

If there is someone that refuses to do right thing while camping, leave them at home or put them in charge of maintaining the septic system.
Seriously, probably the only solution is to provide a container they can dispose of them into, like a diaper pail or give them dog poop bags! 😁
coop341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #45
Harried Harry

For those who want to burn them, I think you should reconsider. Many areas of the country, but especially in the West, the fire danger is very high so burning things is not allowed. Back East it may be different. The one thing easy to do is to use a trash bag and dispose of the used wipes in the dumpsters or take it with you when you leave the campground and then put it in a dumpster or trash container. Don't leave it in a pit toilet 'cause it will clog the equipment used to empty them. If clogged to much, then the company will charge more to provide the service or even stop servicing the pit toilets, which means nobody could use them.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:26 AM   #46
Adkchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdesrosiers View Post
Ok, probably an odd topic. Wife and kids use flushable wipes for certain, um, sanitation after using the facilities. These are not good for the rv septic system, they don’t break down, and have already caused an issue for me when dumping the black water tank. We can’t seem to come to an agreement to not use these products. So here’s my question. What do other people use? I cannot find a type wipe that is rv safe, and need to find a solution. Anyone have a recommendation?
Not to be that guy, but those wipes, no matter what the package says should only be put in a garbage can.
I am a waste water plant operator by trade. Those wipes cause problems (big problems) as soon as you pull the handle.
They clog pipes and pumps. Even pumps that are supposed to grind or chop things.
They gather in holding and septic tanks, forming what we call rag balls and/or rag ropes.
Please share this with everyone you know. Especially those with septic systems.
Those wipes are the biggest problem faced by the entire waste water system.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:40 AM   #47
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harried Harry View Post
For those who want to burn them, I think you should reconsider. Many areas of the country, but especially in the West, the fire danger is very high so burning things is not allowed. Back East it may be different. The one thing easy to do is to use a trash bag and dispose of the used wipes in the dumpsters or take it with you when you leave the campground and then put it in a dumpster or trash container. Don't leave it in a pit toilet 'cause it will clog the equipment used to empty them. If clogged to much, then the company will charge more to provide the service or even stop servicing the pit toilets, which means nobody could use them.
There are 2 things that belong in a campground fire ring, wood & charcoal. I have an idiot of a BIL that thinks the fire ring is a "burn barrel". I tried to explain the difference between an incinerator and open burning to no avail. I tried to explain all the carcinogens in the smoke from burning Styrofoam, pressure treated lumber, etc. Nada.

He got so bad with it that when we camped at the same cg I'd wait for him to book a site and I'd reserve one 4 or 5 sites away. After doing this a few times and having an empty site closer he asked me if I purposely booked away from him. I told him I wasn't paying to camp in a trash fire and didn't want to be exposed to it. After that he stopped his trash burning.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #48
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Tom, I think it is the "We can’t seem to come to an agreement to not use these products" that threw me. Thanks for the clarification! We use a small trash can next to the commode for the wipes. One bag a day does the trick.
Sounds like a plan to me.... those go into the trash....easy peasy..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #49
WDPatterson

Scott RV Toilet Paper, are they have to use their hands.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #50
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We don’t use them, at home (on-site septic) or on the road. More trouble than they are worth. If they must be used, consider a small waste basket with a foot pedal and lined with a plastic bag. I also suggest making those who choose to utilize them the chosen one(s) to take the trash out.
That's what we do in our rig. Hemmoroids require 100% clean down there!
Hblick48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #51
ewbldavis

I'll chime in on the tossing in trash. Yes - not so pleasant, but we do the same. Minimal paper down toilet - we toss in trash can. Definitely not as unpleasant as a clog, so we deal with it!

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote