Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
Crizgon

Fresh Water Tank leaking

Hello we have a 2017 2510RB Passport Grand Touring travel trailer. Went camping this past weekend, filled the fresh water tank and it all leaked out within an hour. I was able to pressurize the system for a short while but not for long. Does anyone know of a place i could get plumbing drawing as to the exact location of the tank? I tried Passport directly but no luck! Also how to access the tank because the bottom of the unit has an extended season cover on it? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Crizgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

There won't be a plumbing drawing. The bottom is coroplast and you have to remove it to access the tank and the tank should be right below your fresh water fill. I'm afraid to assess the situation and effect repairs you will have to drop the coroplast under the tank to find the problem.

I will say this, you may want to seriously consider doing that because I had a leaking gray water tank and took it to the dealer to repair (new tank); it cost $3100. Not a lot to dropping the coroplast, you may want some items to complete the repair, particularly scrim tape to cover any cuts you have to make.

I'm wondering how you have a leak big enough to drain the FW tank in an hour (it takes what seems like several hours to drain mine when I open the drain valve)? I assume it has worked in the past without issues. Did you have some anomaly on this trip that might shed some light on how this suddenly appeared?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #3
Wingerdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crizgon View Post
Hello we have a 2017 2510RB Passport Grand Touring travel trailer. Went camping this past weekend, filled the fresh water tank and it all leaked out within an hour. I was able to pressurize the system for a short while but not for long. Does anyone know of a place i could get plumbing drawing as to the exact location of the tank? I tried Passport directly but no luck! Also how to access the tank because the bottom of the unit has an extended season cover on it? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
The fresh water tank has a drain coming through the bottom, not far from where your water fill port is. It usually has some fairly obvious reinforcement under it. You should start taking screws out of the Coroplast edges til you can see things under it. You probably want to cut the Coroplast under the tank fittings to access them.
That is a lot of water in a short time.
I would bet you have a hose or a fitting loose. Unless your tank took a hit from a road object, the tank itself is pretty new. I would get that Coroplast dropped.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
Crizgon

Thank you for responding. This is the first time we have tied to use the fresh water tank so maybe it was an original defect. But I have used it twice to winterize the camper.?? I will definitely try to do the repair myself and will start by dropping the Corolast. Thanks for the advise, I will keep everyone informed
Old 07-19-2019, 04:55 AM   #5
{tpc}

Stumbled across this post this morning, and I am just wondering, are all the tanks kind of in place in the same manner?

The reason I ask is because on mine, the fresh water tank is located under our bed....I've removed the access panels and have seen it, so I know its there. I haven't particularly like the idea...because of a leak well (knock on wood we haven't had one) it would seem like it would end up inside the trailer itself.

Do all of the fresh water tanks have a drain that is only accessible from underneath? I can't imagine that if I dropped the coroplast I would see the underside of the tank, but maybe I would see the drain?
Old 07-19-2019, 05:45 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

It depends on which model and how it was designed. I’ve seen fresh tanks inside under a bed with the drain valve at the tank. The drain tube is routed through the floor.

Forest river class C motorhomes are designed with the fresh tank under the bed. Coachman class A motorhomes use the same idea, probably because coachman is a division of Forest River.

Then there are the tanks mounted to the bottom of the frame. I’ve seen a simple 1/4 turn drain valve plumbed right into the tank and I’ve seen 1 1/2” blade valves.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #7
Crizgon

I opened up the coroplast and found my problem, I installed a JT Stronghold system last fall on my camper. I hit the corner of the water tank with a screw. Now I need to figure out how to patch or to replace the tank, Working on it next week! To hot in New England this weekend!
Old 07-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #8
Lee

Hi,

Google "Plastic Welding". It's really easy,... at least my experience was.

Heat source can be a Heat gun,... or if you are careful,... a propane torch as low a flame as you can get.

If the screw is in the bottom of the tank it might be difficult to weld up-side-down though and tank removal maybe required.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, leak, tank, water