Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Tbos

Want to add Multi Color capable LED Strip

I want to add a color capable LED strip to the outside of my TT. I have a plan on how to do it but don't know which ones to buy. I'd like to use the tape that comes with the LEDs to mount them and power them from the porch light. Which ones did you buy and from where? How much did they cost? Did you have any issues with using the tape?
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:23 AM   #2
tech740

Bought mine off eBay for about 25 bucks. Make sure it's warm and clean and the tape works fine. Didn't do the porch light for a power source so I can't help there.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:31 AM   #3
XLite28SGS

"Boogey Lights" (google it, I don't have a link). A little pricey, but great customer service - you can actually talk to a real person. Easy install with great instructions and all the material you need.

I had a control box go bad - replaced (over night) no questions asked. They even supplied postage/shipping label for the return of the old box.

There are many lesser priced units, but I went with high customer satisfaction and service.

Allan
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD EC DMax/Ally, 3.73 gear 4x4
XLite28SGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:56 AM   #4
Tbos

Thanks. I appreciate the information.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLite28SGS View Post
"Boogey Lights" (google it, I don't have a link). A little pricey, but great customer service - you can actually talk to a real person. Easy install with great instructions and all the material you need.

I had a control box go bad - replaced (over night) no questions asked. They even supplied postage/shipping label for the return of the old box.

There are many lesser priced units, but I went with high customer satisfaction and service.

Allan
Where did you mount your control box? I wanted to connect for power from the outside lamp but Boogey suggest drilling a hole through the TT and putting it in a cabinet. I'd have to get power from an inside light instead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
XLite28SGS

My 5th wheel has a compartment with all the 12 volt stuff in it (battery, terminal block) I wired the control box direct to battery through a fuse block that "Boogey lights" supplied. I have a power awning, so I followed the awning wiring (for the strip wiring) to the battery compartment (no drilling).

Hope this helps.

Allan
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD EC DMax/Ally, 3.73 gear 4x4
XLite28SGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
randy69

Wife has been bugging me for awnning lights. Was thinking, since I have two separate porch lamps in our unit one white and one yellow 2 separate switches. take out the yellow lamp and pick up the wires from that.12 volts. And yes it will only be white. Should this be a problem ? Just asking from someone with exsperence .

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
Wife has been bugging me for awnning lights. Was thinking, since I have two separate porch lamps in our unit one white and one yellow 2 separate switches. take out the yellow lamp and pick up the wires from that.12 volts. And yes it will only be white. Should this be a problem ? Just asking from someone with exsperence .

With just white lights with no controller for dimming it shouldn't be a problem. I want color and need some place to put the control box. My awning channel is in the right place for me to run the wires next to it but I would be left without a place to put the controller. Another option is for me to go door to door with the lights instead of under the whole awning. That would leave me with an extra 4 ft of LEDs.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #9
bobbecky

I recently installed a strip under the awning, multicolored, from CW. I broke the glass off the yellow porch light bulb, butt spliced the hot and ground wire to the two filament support wires, drilled a hole out the top of the plastic fixture to run the wire to the LED strip, silicone sealed the connections outside the light fixture and around the wire where it exited the fixture, and the controller just fit inside the light fixture housing with the base of the bulb twisted in the bulb socket. Didn't need the porch light with all the light from the LED strip.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote