Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
Whit66

Help my roof has a bubble under a previous repair after applying Dicor Lap Sealant

I have a 2019 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel, yesterday I applied Dicor Lap sealant self leveling to different areas on top of my 5th wheel..

One specific spot that already had a tiny repair 2"x 2" it has really bubbled up, about 4"X4". As well when I sealed the sky light and other areas it seems to have a ripple effect on the edges. I applied the sealant when temperate was about 58 degrees.

I gave two samples of the roof repair material I have, the one I used 18 months ago is the thinner one with a checker board surface..

So I am confused what I have done wrong and more importantly how to I repair that area with the roof covering that has the bubble effect. I ne

If someone knows what I use to remove this Decor I would appreciate it..

I am attaching pictures..

Thank you for your help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5981.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	32133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5984.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	32134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5985.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	32135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5989.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	32136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5988.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	32137  

Whit66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #2
nellie1289

My experience is you will see some light rippling around edges were dicor is in full sun as the "gasses" under the roof membrane heat up, but then they go away in the evening, like around your skylight. Although that is worse than I have seen. As it relates to the bubble, I am no help there, I thing you are supposed to use eternabond or dicor's own patching system, then dicor around, not sure what you used there but that looks very extreme!
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:02 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

What IS that first picture? The first 2x2 patch? What did you put on it the 2nd time? It doesn't really look like you ran beads of lap sealant so what was done? I use lap sealant on seams, eternabond generally on problems on the roof material.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:09 PM   #4
Whit66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What IS that first picture? The first 2x2 patch? What did you put on it the 2nd time? It doesn't really look like you ran beads of lap sealant so what was done? I use lap sealant on seams, eternabond generally on problems on the roof material.
The first picture is what happened to the area I had put a 2inch by 2 inch patch over a small puncture hole 18 months ago. I put the dicor over it 36 hours ago, since I figured it had been over a year since I added any sealant. This afternoon I noticed it bubbled up like a blister 4"x4". You are correct I did not run just a bead of sealant I did cover the small patch... I will research that eternabond, and I also need to find out what solvent solution I can use to remove some of dicor without damaging the roof..
Old 02-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #5
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
He's removed the patch in that first picture and tried to remove the sealant as well- looks to me anyway. The center of the 2x2 patched area shows a puncture where the original patch was.

Edit - Whoops! didn't see the OP's response there, Danny. Sorry guys.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #6
Sarge2

Was it the Dicor that bubbled or the roof itself? looks like the roof bubbled up to me unless I'm not seeing the picture right... I do have bifocals...lol
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #7
Brantel

Dicor will do that expecially if it is cold. The solvent in the sealant causes the membrane to swell.

If you leave it alone, eventually the solvent will evaporate and the membrane will shrink back down. If it is cold it may take days to weeks to months for this to happen, just depends on the weather.

Most everyone claims that this does not cause any harm other than it looks bad for a while.

Alpha Systems sealant is a bit more forgiving on the blisters but does not self level as well as the Dicor because the solvent evaporates faster.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
Whit66

Hi Bill, yes 18 months ago I have a tiny nail protruding from the roof when they built the rig at Keystone. So I gently pulled the nail out and then put a small patch maybe 1x1 or 2x2 and just left it alone. Well a couple of days ago I thought it would be a good idea to reseal the areas on the roof, day temperature about 58 degrees. I believe two things one I put to much sealant over the patch causing the patch to lift up and allow air under the roof and secondly maybe it was too cold, even though I cannot find a temperature guide on what the temp has before you can apply Decor

I have the patch material I am just nervous to cut out a 4"x4" piece from the roof and then apply the patch..

Even at 66 we screw up.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

DONT cut the roof. Once the membrane lays flat again, the patch should have an adhesive side, stick it on and Dicor the edge.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
Whit66

Thank you, I looked for the minimum temperature since I live in Northern Nevada, it was about 58 degrees when I applied the sealant... My next concern is that since my original 1"x1" patch fell off since I applied too much sealant now I have air bubble that is about 4"x4" and a small puncture that needs to patched. Now should I just cut enough of the loose material away so the damaged area just lays flat or should I just cut the whole 4x4 area and then put a patch on it?
Old 02-24-2021, 12:40 PM   #11
Whit66

What should I do in the mean time with that small hole so I keep water out of it?
Old 02-24-2021, 01:41 PM   #12
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit66 View Post
What should I do in the mean time with that small hole so I keep water out of it?
I would put a quarter sized blob of the Dicor on that pinhole and be done with it.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:17 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
I would put a quarter sized blob of the Dicor on that pinhole and be done with it.
Yup! Or Eternabond tape.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

If it were my trailer and the temperature was above about 60F, I use a plastic putty knife, clean as much of the DICOR off the area. BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT OR DAMAGE THE MEMBRANE... Once you've got the surface fairly well smooth, wet a washcloth with alcohol, wipe the area well, getting as much grease and dirt as possible off the surface. Clean about 2" beyond where the new patch will adhere. Cut a 4" x 4" Eternabond patch (2" beyond the hole on all sides). Round the corners of the patch slightly so there is no sharp edge to catch anything the next time you clean the roof. Warm the patch and the roof surface with a hair dryer so they are above 70F. Apply the patch and use a roller to press it completely onto the surface of the TPO membrane. Let that sit for at least a day. Then use the hair dryer to warm the area, apply "room temperature or warmer DICOR" sealant to the area, sealing all edges, overlapping about 1/2" onto the Eternabond tape and 1/2" onto the TPO membrane. You want a "good, clean margin" so there's no chance of the tape lifting.

Expect it to "bubble up slightly" as it cures, but by warming the tape and the TPO surface, it will adhere better and by warming the patch and the DICOR sealant, it will "outgas faster" thereby reducing the chance of deforming the TPO membrane from being in contact with the petroleum distillates in the sealant.

The "key to success" (I think) is having a clean, dry, warm surface for the warm patch to adhere to, then having a clean, dry, warm surface for the warm sealant to adhere to... Using a hair dryer on LOW (not med or high) and being careful not to overheat the membrane, you should get a good, clean, tight bond.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #15
Mikelff

This is somewhat related to this thread. I have some type of debris under the roof membrane on one of my slide outs. Its about 1 1/2 inch in diameter and 1/4 to 1/2 inch tall. God only knows what it is. I was going to try to remove it, then patch over. Someone suggested cutting an X over the debris, remove it, glue down the flaps from the X cut, then put an eternabond patch over the repair area. Does this sound kosher to you guys, and what kind of adhesive would I use to glue the roof material back down to the roof before the patch? Wish i had a picture but it’s pouring down rain right now, lll. Thanks!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

If it's not causing a problem, I'd leave it alone and just watch it. If it starts wearing, THEN (not now) work on fixing it...

When you step back and look at what happens as the slide moves in and out, "wiping" against the seals, you'll realize that ANYTHING you stick on top of the slide is going to be a potential "peeling layer"... Whether it's a "shot of DICOR" or a "layer of eternabond tape" or even a "metal sheet screwed to the roof", all of them, without exception, are going to be "pulled against the slide seals/wipers" and all of them, without exception carry a chance of being pulled off the roof.....

I'd leave well enough alone.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #17
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If it's not causing a problem, I'd leave it alone and just watch it. If it starts wearing, THEN (not now) work on fixing it...

When you step back and look at what happens as the slide moves in and out, "wiping" against the seals, you'll realize that ANYTHING you stick on top of the slide is going to be a potential "peeling layer"... Whether it's a "shot of DICOR" or a "layer of eternabond tape" or even a "metal sheet screwed to the roof", all of them, without exception, are going to be "pulled against the slide seals/wipers" and all of them, without exception carry a chance of being pulled off the roof.....

I'd leave well enough alone.....
I’m with you on that. I watched it go in and out and the slide seals just seem to glide over whatever is under there. I’ll leave it for now and keep an eye on it. Doesn’t seem to be trying to poke through the membrane. I’m going to be washing my roof in the coming weeks so I’ll take a close look at it and take some pictures so I can compare a few months down the line. Eventually, I am thinking it will need to be repaired. Obviously, something done at the factory. Thanks.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #18
IRV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
This is somewhat related to this thread. I have some type of debris under the roof membrane on one of my slide outs. Its about 1 1/2 inch in diameter and 1/4 to 1/2 inch tall. God only knows what it is. I was going to try to remove it, then patch over. Someone suggested cutting an X over the debris, remove it, glue down the flaps from the X cut, then put an eternabond patch over the repair area. Does this sound kosher to you guys, and what kind of adhesive would I use to glue the roof material back down to the roof before the patch? Wish i had a picture but it’s pouring down rain right now, lll. Thanks!
I had that problem on my slides and it was directly under the slide motor mechanism. The oil leaked on the membrane and caused a dark stain and also made it “mushy”. I cut the oily piece out and applied eternabond tape. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC1BFA30-62DE-4B0D-9ECB-3EEDDFE90E27.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	32214   Click image for larger version

Name:	30D867CA-E413-4DFC-A689-5031003F4513.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	32215  

2018 Keystone Laredo 298RL
2003 Keystone Laredo 27RL