Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
CedarCreekWoody

Mobile repair tech

Will Keystone (Laredo) allow you to use a mobile tech for warranty repair and then reimburse you for the cost? I understand Forest River does this, wasn't sure about Keystone. And no, I don't have an issue. Just curious.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Will Keystone (Laredo) allow you to use a mobile tech for warranty repair and then reimburse you for the cost? I understand Forest River does this, wasn't sure about Keystone. And no, I don't have an issue. Just curious.
From what I’ve read on the forum it’s going to be very slim chance to highly unlikely
Old 02-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

At Keystone, mobile service is ONLY approved for trailers with a detachable tongue (destination trailers that are not intended to be mobile). Other trailers "can be authorized with prior approval"... From what I've seen reported on the forum, that's about 1:1000 approved and the rest denied with a comment, "Please refer your problem to your selling dealer for repairs".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

That was the impression I was getting due to the lack of recommendations on the forum. I'm surprised by that.
Andersen hitch
Old 02-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
That was the impression I was getting due to the lack of recommendations on the forum. I'm surprised by that.
I don’t know .. it doesn’t surprise me much...unless keystone had a list of preferred mobile techs that were willing to abide by a set price plan then the repair could be all over the place.
I’m in the hvac business and prices can be all OVER the place on certain repairs.. some guys charge a hourly rate fee for leak detection, job might bill at one hour.
Other big company’s give there guys a percentage of the service call fee and they will quote $800 -$1000 for an indefinite time and also quote them on a replacement that they also get a cut of.. keystone would be billed for all kind of repairs that may or may not be necessary IMO

And on the other end for the reputable guy thinking of doing this.. it could take months and all kind of hoops to jump through to even get paid when you submit a service bill.
I have always stayed away from doing business with home warranty company’s because of that reason
Old 02-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Not so much... depending on what's broken I can generally get it warrantied through the manufacturer of the item than I can Keystone.. In fact I've only had Keystone warranty done on one of the three trailers I've owned in the past ten years.. Mostly I use an independent repair person who is a warranty tech for the appliance..
Old 02-20-2021, 01:13 PM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I don’t know .. it doesn’t surprise me much...unless keystone had a list of preferred mobile techs that were willing to abide by a set price plan then the repair could be all over the place.
Most likely other companies approve it IF they agree on a preapproved rate.
Andersen hitch
Old 02-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I'm a little leery of "mobile tech guys" coming out to work on my trailer. I've met 3 of them out here and no bueno for me. You should have seen the hatchet job one of them did to my neighbors trailer when looking for a bad anti siphon valve in the wall. Literally cut the wall out with a sawzall....and it looked terrible.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm a little leery of "mobile tech guys" coming out to work on my trailer. I've met 3 of them out here and no bueno for me. You should have seen the hatchet job one of them did to my neighbors trailer when looking for a bad anti siphon valve in the wall. Literally cut the wall out with a sawzall....and it looked terrible.
I worked with a “mobile tech”. He charged a $60.00 service fee, and then would say he couldn’t do the repair. NOT RIGHT in my book. I’ve been working on autos for over 45 years, and I have NEVER charged anything to take a look and/or read codes. Too many unethical people in EVERY business.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:56 PM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
There are hacks in any profession. That's why I insist on looking over their shoulder. I was just curious as I never see it recommended here but often do on other forums.
Andersen hitch
Old 02-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #11
Camp CA

Quote:
Will Keystone (Laredo) allow you to use a mobile tech for warranty repair..............
Not sure, albeit I purchased 6-year extended warranty with zero deductible that allows me to use any RV shop and mobile service. Have not used it yet in the 13 months since I purchased my Montana fifth wheel.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #12
jasin1

This was a estimate my friends brother got for finding a leak and or replacing a txt valve. The txv cost about $150. And it’s about 4 hours labor about $120 an hour plus minor materials. The quote for the new system was just for replacing the indoor ac coil and the outdoor condensing unit..he would keep his 10 year old furnace .

Unbelievable the guy could tell him $3000 -$4000 just to find a leak...there wasn’t any leak. It was a bad txv.. I did the whole job for a fraction ...the worst thing that ever happened is when company’s give the guys a cut of the repair cost.. they usually don’t pay them a full 40 hours a week and encourage them to make it up elsewhere

Note the service tech identified the problem at the top of the page..bad txv... it should have only cost at the most $800-$1000
He almost tripled that and then tried to get $3-$4k on phantom leak repairs that could never be proven if he did it or not
Even the coil itself with an included txv is only around $600(actual cost) not including markup and installing
The sad thing is he didn’t know if he was being ripped off or not...he almost went with it and had to pay an initial service fee for looking at it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C211BB36-5434-4F06-A9DA-B4E2ADE023C2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	32072  
Old 02-20-2021, 03:20 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

When the electric side of this water heater died a couple months ago I tried to find a switch for the Suburban. In doing so I called some "RV repair shops" that included RV mobile repair. Inquiring they said they didn't carry parts; would have to order the switch after they made a trip to determine it was bad then come back and replace it. Hmmmm, $150 trip charge, 1 hour minimum for labor @ 125 plus price of parts. Well, the switch was 4.99 at CW and took all of 15 minutes to replace (plus a trip into the city to get it - 2 1/2 hrs round trip maybe $15 in gas). So recap; 2 trips and with 1 hr. labor each = $550 to just "use" the mobile tech....and the $4.99 for the switch which would have been $10 I figure along with any padding that might have occurred. Did I say I like having tools?
Old 02-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #14
roadglide

I had slide cable brake in side the wall frame in sturgis last year the tech was book for 7 months but came to the rv park the next day Sunday . Service call 200 and 125 hour labor . Between him and I we Disassemble one wall slide steel trim and fished the cable out . It was near 6 hours labor . The bonus was I used all his tools and knowledge to adjust my large slide . The tech told me I got a big brake for for my help. The total was around $600 . I had an appointment with CW take it to their shop and camp out over the Sturgis rally week to have it fixed . I was lucky to have found roving rv tech .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:22 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I will say that a mobile rv tech may be the best, only, answer to someone's problem in who knows where. I've thought about them often but never used one; just be sure that you need one and what you are getting when you call one. JMO
Old 02-21-2021, 06:25 AM   #16
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I had slide cable brake in side the wall frame in sturgis last year the tech was book for 7 months but came to the rv park the next day Sunday . Service call 200 and 125 hour labor . Between him and I we Disassemble one wall slide steel trim and fished the cable out . It was near 6 hours labor . The bonus was I used all his tools and knowledge to adjust my large slide . The tech told me I got a big brake for for my help. The total was around $600 . I had an appointment with CW take it to their shop and camp out over the Sturgis rally week to have it fixed . I was lucky to have found roving rv tech .
I forgot Debra paid the 200 with a debit card before he would take the service call. And I paid him $600 cash .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Last June when we needed to live in the TT for a month due to backed home loans and closings. We stayed off and on in a really nice private RV park with about 200 spaces. Daily we walked the dog through the park, we seen mobile tech repair vans and trucks in the place nearly every day. 3 was the most at one time.
I will give the people in new units, (as in looks new and no license plates yet).
As a shake down trip and the whole RVing or unit was brand new to them. But, I also without verifying the reasons for the mobile techs, beleive many to not own the tools or have the know how or care to know how. To fix a damn thing. Just call for help.
That park had a fleet of maintenance guys always driving around on golf carts. At one time, I asked a guy I got to know. His reply was he cannot beleive how many cannot or will not even get the sewer lines hooked up without help. Much less all those who never got the right parts to hook up the sewer or water hoses or adapters to plug in to shore power. Part of their job was to be ready to help and hopefully teach them how to do it themselves.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Last month when we needed to live in the TT for a month due to backed home loans and closings. We stayed off and on in a really nice private RV park with about 200 spaces. Daily we walked the dog through the park, we seen mobile tech repair vans and trucks in the place nearly every day. 3 was the most at one time.
I will give the people in new units, (as in looks new and no license plates yet).
As a shake down trip and the whole RVing or unit was brand new to them. But, I also without verifying the reasons for the mobile techs, beleive many to not own the tools or have the know how or care to know how. To fix a damn thing. Just call for help.
That park had a fleet of maintenance guys always driving around on golf carts. At one time, I asked a guy I got to know. His reply was he cannot beleive how many cannot or will not even get the sewer lines hooked up without help. Much less all those who never got the right parts to hook up the sewer or water hoses or adapters to plug in to shore power. Part of their job was to be ready to help and hopefully teach them how to do it themselves.
We live in a 55+ rv resort that the park employees nor work kampers are allowed to touch anyone's equipment, they can offer advice if they chose, for fear of liability if something happens to go wrong.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #19
djohnston

Worked for me

I am a full-timer with a fixed location. Emptying my personal possessions and towing to dealer not an option. Called Keystone with warranty items - customer service lady first told me I had to take it to the dealer. After much persuasion, she finally admitted they would reimburse parts and labor, but not mobile tech service/travel fee. She sent me a checklist of the steps to take (submit invoice, parts detail which I had to call the dealer and find out, and photos of the things that needed fixed). Took an extremely long time to get them to approve. They required that I pay mobile tech up front for repair and then get reimbursed. In the end, it all worked out - just a lot more work on my end!
djohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #20
FlyingAroundRV

We used a mobile tech near Dallas, named Lee to do warranty repair on our fridge.
Ripped us off, put in used parts, overcharged us and then lied to us about his reporting it to Dometic for warranty. He demanded that we pay up front and give him a good review on Google. In spite of that it took us months to get a written invoice out of him to try to get a refund from Dometic.
We found out why when we presented the invoice to Dometic. He'd charged us about 4 times what Dometic allowed for the repair.
Needless to say, we're now very leery of mobile techs.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote