Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
Woodsman11

Dump Valve Inspection

Just bought our RV in Nov of last year. Put it into storage through the winter. I was inspecting it the other day and noticed the workmanship and issue underneath the RV near the dump valves. Is this normal with all of the gap filler jst squeezed around? It looks like some 7-year-olds had a good time and just started squeezing gap filler everywhere. Also, it seems that there is a tear. Can I just use flex tape to seal it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	32084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	32085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	32086   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	32087  
Woodsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman11 View Post
Just bought our RV in Nov of last year. Put it into storage through the winter. I was inspecting it the other day and noticed the workmanship and issue underneath the RV near the dump valves. Is this normal with all of the gap filler jst squeezed around? It looks like some 7-year-olds had a good time and just started squeezing gap filler everywhere. Also, it seems that there is a tear. Can I just use flex tape to seal it?
I suspect they’re in a hurry and pull the can out with the nozzle pressed and took a rag then wiped it off. The right way is to let it dry come back with a long knife and cut it smooth.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
ChuckS

New RV and delivered like this? Poor service department and not much of a Pre PDI was done by them prior to selling...

Id fix it myself and Id cut away the existing spray foam crap and repair the bottom with scrim tape and then with the bottom installed properly and no downward sag Id reseal myself...

Or.. take it to the dealership and see how long they keep the RV for an hour repair job and minimal costs
YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

When the factory builds these rolling "wonders" I believe it is upside down when all the foam is sprayed. I've seen much better jobs and as hard as it is to believe I've seen worse.

As stated, fix it yourself, You may have to spray paint the foam after it cures, but it will look a lot better.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
I'm curious about the orange vented plug in the 1st photo? Been around RVs for over 45 years & never seen this before, what's the purpose?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm curious about the orange vented plug in the 1st photo? Been around RVs for over 45 years & never seen this before, what's the purpose?
Here you go Danny. We both learned something today !!!

That "said and discovered" I'll just leave my drain open in storage with a 5 gallon bucket under it "just in case". So far, winters up here, there are no flies, no bees and mice apparently don't prefer the black tank odors, so no mice either.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #7
Woodsman11

Thanks for all of the tips. I will cut away as much as I can and clean it up. Additionally, I was going to use Flex Tape. However, it was mentioned to use scrim tape. Which is better in the long run?
Old 02-21-2021, 07:53 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I've used both but I think scrim is better - carry both of them with me though.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:50 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Based on the "open holes" that you've got around the PVC pipe where it comes out of the underbelly, you might consider an overlay rather than trying to cut away what's there.

Trim up all of the "hanging and bulging" foam overspray, get a 2' x 2' piece of coroplast, cut and trim it to fit snugly around the protrusions through the underbelly, lay it over the existing "mess" and then secure it in place with SCRIM tape. That way you don't risk cutting something that might be hidden, you won't be eliminating the protection the existing "big coroplast sheeting" provides and you'll be keeping as much of the OEM sheeting as possible. At the same time, you'll be "hiding the mess, improving the seal around protrusions and avoiding trying to "bridge big gaps" with foam or tape.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:12 AM   #10
Woodsman11

Sounds great. I will definitely fix this isse.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #11
Mic

Quote:
what is with teh orange perf cover??

are valves open???
Old 03-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #12
firestation12

I like to use a wood backing that spans both sides of the tear, then screw the two edges together to close the gap. Then use whatever method that floats your boat to finish sealing the repair.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:19 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

After inspecting the underside I seen that spray foam. Thought about cutting it off to be level with the bottom. I thought about that for a minute and changed my mind and left it alone.
WHY? my reason is the cover likely flex's from roads and winds. That big pile of gore/foam will hold the bottom in place better than if you cut it off flat with cover.
Is that true, not sure. But easier to leave it alone.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:11 PM   #14
Trailmaster

My 2019 Keystone Cougar 27RESWE has the same shoddy looking foam insulation. Likely typical on most RV’s, unless it’s an Airstream or a coach. That’s the quality you get with most RV trailers. (Or lack of)
Trailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote