Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2021, 06:22 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I will most likely fish the wire or, if that doesn't work, just mount the camera in place of the light.
I wouldn’t replace a required by law light.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #22
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Good point. I wasn't sure if three clearance lights in the center are required.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:40 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Not having the light in place, or having a burned out bulb may (probably) never would be an issue, but on a Sunday afternoon, towing through "podunk" with an aggressive and bored "deputy sitting behind the hedge at the cemetery" ....

It could become an "open invitation" for a traffic stop and could lead to citations for missing "required lighting"... Whether it's right or wrong, it still puts you in the "hassle mode" having to address something "far from home, on a Sunday afternoon, when there's more important things to do"... With a functional light there, all that would be avoided, so.....

I'd leave the lights in place, if for no other reason, there's going to be a hole under the light with a functional camera mount that you know is working. Removing the light to install a camera will put two "things" on the rear of the trailer, both intended for the same purpose, while removing a light that might become an argument on the side of the highway......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #24
CedarCreekWoody

I know that deputy. He is the reason I run safety chains with my Andersen hitch even though fifth wheel campers supposedly don't require them.
Andersen hitch
Old 02-09-2021, 09:02 AM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I know that deputy. He is the reason I run safety chains with my Andersen hitch even though fifth wheel campers supposedly don't require them.
They are required in CA for any ball mount ( Anderson, goose box).

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Same in Michigan. If it has a ball, it requires safety chains. And the safety chains must be "crossed under the ball"....

To "add insult to injury": If towing two trailers, (double towing with a fifth wheel) those safety chains on the second trailer must not only be "crossed under the ball" they must also be "attached to the lead trailer at the outermost edge of the lead trailer"... That means "not attached to the trailer frame under/near the receiver shank" but "attached to the outside edge of the trailer frame/rear bumper/bumper stringers"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
Quote:
They are required in CA for any ball mount ( Anderson, goose box).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Same in Michigan. If it has a ball, it requires safety chains. And the safety chains must be "crossed under the ball"....

To "add insult to injury": If towing two trailers, (double towing with a fifth wheel) those safety chains on the second trailer must not only be "crossed under the ball" they must also be "attached to the lead trailer at the outermost edge of the lead trailer"... That means "not attached to the trailer frame under/near the receiver shank" but "attached to the outside edge of the trailer frame/rear bumper/bumper stringers"....
https://www.reddit.com/r/Whatcouldgo..._trailer_wcgw/

This guy wishes he used them..lol ...if you watch he tries to back up and “catch” the trailer
Old 02-14-2021, 05:37 AM   #28
Wagon58

Quote:
So what do you connect the safety chains to Woody? I’m new to 5er hauling and have an Anderson hitch. I’m towing with an F-350 SRW. I have the factory prep in the bed, but the Anderson covers the other 4 holes, besides the gooseneck.
And BTW, thanks for the original post topic too. I was trying to install my Furion camera this week and couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t powering on when connected to my truck. I had the batteries out and the cut-offs turned off. I was wondering if maybe it was a fuse in the rv, but your post may have the answer!
Thanks,
Wayne
Wagon58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:41 AM   #29
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon58 View Post
So what do you connect the safety chains to Woody? I’m new to 5er hauling and have an Anderson hitch. I’m towing with an F-350 SRW. I have the factory prep in the bed, but the Anderson covers the other 4 holes, besides the gooseneck.
And BTW, thanks for the original post topic too. I was trying to install my Furion camera this week and couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t powering on when connected to my truck. I had the batteries out and the cut-offs turned off. I was wondering if maybe it was a fuse in the rv, but your post may have the answer!
Thanks,
Wayne
My truck does not have factory pucks so I installed a B&W turnover ball. The installation includes two steel loops to connect the chains. I've seen loops that install in the truck pucks but I'm not sure what you would use if the pucks are blocked. Have you checked E-trailer? Maybe give them a call. Maybe someone with a similar truck can give you ideas here.
Andersen hitch
Old 02-14-2021, 06:45 AM   #30
CedarCreekWoody

Just another thought. While the Andersen is normally installed square to the truck bed i suppose it could be pivoted 45 degress to not cover the mounting pucks. BUT, I would check with Andersen before installing that way.
Andersen hitch
Old 02-14-2021, 07:00 AM   #31
CedarCreekWoody

Here is a complete kit by Andersen. The plate for the hooks fits around the ball, under the post.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792C5XRW...EDV2AZ566FSKZ7
Andersen hitch
Old 02-14-2021, 07:25 AM   #32
Wagon58

Perfect!

Quote:
Here is a complete kit by Andersen. The plate for the hooks fits around the ball, under the post.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792C5XRW...EDV2AZ566FSKZ7
Thanks Woody! That looks the the solution. Appreciate the help!
Wagon58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #33
K_N_L

Not sure if Keystone is still pre-wiring them all the same but it was on my unit the camera was setup to use a yellow wire. That yellow wire ran directly to the junction box under the pin box where the Bargman cord is wired in. I was able to move the yellow wire to an connection pin that was hot only with the running lights. I dont recall the color but that should be standard across all trailers.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:31 AM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_L View Post
Not sure if Keystone is still pre-wiring them all the same but it was on my unit the camera was setup to use a yellow wire. That yellow wire ran directly to the junction box under the pin box where the Bargman cord is wired in. I was able to move the yellow wire to an connection pin that was hot only with the running lights. I dont recall the color but that should be standard across all trailers.
Industry standard is the yellow wire of the umbilical is for reverse lights.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #35
K_N_L

Found a pic of my wiring at the pin box... Note the yellow wire doubled up on the green pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	31981  

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #36
Spritnsky

Laredo set up

I have a 2021 Keystone Laredo. This is how they are wiring the backup cameras. I like it wired to the running lights. This is what my dealer said is how Keystone is wiring them to just plugin. May run my own wire. Don't like on all the time.
Spritnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #37
Tullbooth

Quote:
The dealer wired mu Furion into the center of the three lights... i didn't even think about it being a problem. Add that to the research list!
Tullbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #38
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritnsky View Post
I have a 2021 Keystone Laredo. This is how they are wiring the backup cameras. I like it wired to the running lights. This is what my dealer said is how Keystone is wiring them to just plugin. May run my own wire. Don't like on all the time.
Yours is also wired to be on all the time? I assumed they wired mine that way in error. I can see no reason to power it on 100% of the time, even when parked.
Andersen hitch
Old 02-14-2021, 11:21 AM   #39
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullbooth View Post
The dealer wired mu Furion into the center of the three lights... i didn't even think about it being a problem. Add that to the research list!
Did he replace the light with the camera or just run a power wire to that light?
Andersen hitch
Old 02-21-2021, 07:26 PM   #40
Jnich17

Why not break yellow wire and run through toggle switch to be on only when you want it?
Just asking.
Airlift Bags
Jnich17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring