Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #81
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Coates View Post
I'm using Aqua-Soft toilet tissue. It's two ply and it holds up well to do its job but dissolves quickly once in the toilet. As far as I know, this RV friendly toilet paper is 100% biodegradable, which means it decomposes naturally after disposal.
Get a quart mason jar, or pickle jar then put 5 or 6 sheets of your favorite TP in the jar and fill it with water... shake vigorously for 1 minute then set the jar on the table and wait one hour.. Come back and shake the jar vigorously for 30 seconds... if the paper is broken and looks to be dissolving then you're good to go... If it still pretty much looks like sheets of TP then Don't use it..
Old 01-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #82
BrooksFam

I didn't read this entire thread so if this is a duplicate, I'm sorry.

We use the Walmart brand TP that is septic safe. It works well and is much cheaper than RV TP.

BTW, we are stationary full timing right now and there is no vigorous shaking of our holding tank to break down the TP...…...
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:56 AM   #83
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
I didn't read this entire thread so if this is a duplicate, I'm sorry.

We use the Walmart brand TP that is septic safe. It works well and is much cheaper than RV TP.

BTW, we are stationary full timing right now and there is no vigorous shaking of our holding tank to break down the TP...…...
The test is used for septic systems as well. The shaking is just to expedite the process not to simulate a trailer being towed down the road.
I guess you could leave the jar sit for a week and then look at it
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:03 PM   #84
dutchmensport

OK, I enjoyed reading EVERY comment on this thread since I posted way, way back. I'll try to clarify how we do the "Bidet" in the camper AND at home.

I'm posted this before, but first, here's some photos:

First, we have gotten completely away from toilet paper. We always keep some in the bathroom, but never use it for it's original purpose. It's used mostly for blowing noses, or cleaning up water splatters from the toilet or us humans. Mostly, its now used to pick up after our doggies when they have an accident in the house or camper. But, it's good to have, just-in-case!

Ours runs on cold water only. Yes, it can get darn right chilly "down there", but really, you get use to it and after a while, you realize it's really "refreshing."

The white thing hanging down can be moved forward or backward (tilted) for proper angle alignment when the sprayer is on. One direction of the knob shoots water more toward the back for both men and women (you know where that one is aimed to), and the other direction of the knob shoots water toward the front (angled for women ... and you know where that is going now).

The permanent bidets install in homes resemble porcelain toilets and mostly have only one sprayer. So yes, half the population on this planet will have to face forward, the other half never do.

But these Bidets that simply fit under your toilet seat have two sprayers, angled forward and the other backward. They also have a 3rd sprayer for cleaning the sprayer nozzles, that actually shoots down.

Now, in the camper, I absolutely love that feature with the sprayer that sprays down. Because I can turn it on and fill the toilet bowl with water, without having to push the peddle. And if pushing the peddle just a tad too far, it empties the bowl. No problem with this arrangement. Sit down, turn the water on, add water to the bowl, and enjoy the good life! (if you know what I mean).

Now spraying that thing is adjustable also. Ours is MUCH stronger in the camper than in the house and we run water in the camper via the on-board water pump all the time, never straight from the hose hooked to shore water. And the on-board pump is awesome. It will peal the skin right off. So you learn real fast how hard to turn the sprayer on to "clean" and not "skin" the animal.

About 'wiping'? Yes, we purchased a couple packages of wash cloths, color coded all the same, for each one of our bathrooms. The ones designated for the camper are a light purple. You can see a photo of one hanging on a hook beside the toilet, on the wall in picture #4 above. I think we have 12 or 14 of these, color coded for each bathroom. Because it's just my wife and I that use our bathroom, it's no big deal to use the same wash cloth to dry "down there."

Besides, if the Bidet does its job right, all you are doing is drying "down there" and hanging up the wash cloth to dry. When you think about it, this is no different than what you do with your bath towel after taking a shower. When taking a shower, don't you dry "down there" too, and hang the towel back up to use again later? If you toss a towel in the laundry EVERY time you use it, then you must have a BUNCH of laundry to do on laundry day! A bunch! Can you pack that many towels in a camper?

In our case, we use one wash cloth fresh every day. Really, they are never "dirty", never streaked, never messy. But we use a fresh one every day and toss the used one from yesterday in the laundry. Face it, 12 wash cloths take up a LOT less space than 12 bath towels! And we do laundry about 1 a week. So, 12-14 wash cloths work very well for us.

Now, when we DO have guests, we invite them to use the Bidet, and tell them to dry with toilet paper and just flush it. My son lives with us and his little boy of 7. My son still prefers toilet paper, which is OK, and my grandson loves the Bidet. He doesn't bother 'drying', his is definitely wash and go!

A word about cleanliness! If using the Bidet, you are always leaving the bathroom much cleaner than using toilet paper alone. Think of how fresh you feel after taking a shower (especially "down there") and imagine that feeling other times than when showering. You just feel cleaner all day long.

That's how we do it. It was definitely the best addition to our camper we did, and definitely one of the best things we did for our house. Our TP usage has dropped to almost zero. Our black tank flushes easy, no globs of TP plopping out. And our septic tank at home has no TP floating on the top of it. I remvoe the lid often to dump my blue tote from the camper.

I suppose a Bidet is not for everyone, and that's OK. I use to laugh at the idea of one also and thought it was ridiculous. But when the wife wanted one, well, the wife got one. i tried it once, and was convinced.

My wife and I have been work-from-home for almost a year now, since our companies shut their doors and told us all to work from home. I really dread going back into the office now. Not because of Covid, but because if I go back, and if I have to "go", I'll have to use toilet paper there! Oh yuck, so nasty!
Old 01-28-2021, 02:32 PM   #85
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I really dread going back into the office now. Not because of Covid, but because if I go back, and if I have to "go", I'll have to use toilet paper there! Oh yuck, so nasty!
How big is their parking lot?
Old 01-28-2021, 03:04 PM   #86
flybouy
Site Team

Alllllllllllllrrrrrrrightythen. I now know WAY more about somethings than I need to.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #87
BrooksFam

We have a bidet in the house, changes the bathroom experience for sure...………...
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #88
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
We have a bidet in the house, changes the bathroom experience for sure...………...
And the higher end Tiffen motorhomes have the bidet standard. Easy enough to install, I wonder if I should put one in my fiver.....nope!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:38 PM   #89
JRTJH
Site Team

I still prefer to wipe, smear, wipe again, flush, then finish with a wet one (if necessary), disposed in the trash can, followed by a warm water and soap hand washing. YMMV, but I'm just not into sharing a wash cloth nor am I too keen on wiping my butt and my face on the same towel. Again, (just one part of a sentence ago), YMMV.

I'll deal with a "poo pyramid" if I have to, but so far in 50 years of RVing, I've not had that issue, nor have I used a wash cloth outside the shower. I'm good with keeping it that way. Once again, YMMV.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:50 PM   #90
dutchmensport

The reason for the color coding wash cloths is so they do not get used for any other purpose except 1. Or, actually, for #2.

Put up 2 hooks and have one for 'him' and one for 'her.' Or pay extra and get the Bidet with the blow dryer. Nothing get's touched then.

The whole purpose for the Bidet is so you do NOT use any toilet paper. No toilet paper, no sewer-septic - black tank, what is the best TP to use .... problems.

As the original poster stated, they were looking for "alternatives." This is definitely and alternative, not in any way-shape-or-form, the only one.

One more comment... if you are experiencing hemorrhoids, bowel problems, urinary problems, IBS problems, digestive problems, colon problems, rashes, infections, or any number of problems "down there" and "wiping" is difficult .... this is THE alternative that works!
Old 01-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #91
sourdough
Site Team

Guess I spent too much time in the woods taking care of business "however". A modern home or RV toilet seems like a really nice apparatus to take care of business - washing "back there" and wiping with a wash rag every time seems - nope. Just give me my see through RV toilet paper, a pump bottle of soap for the sink, some water and a towel and I'll be "right as rain" when the dealings done.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #92
jasin1

What the heck did I stumble upon ....
Old 01-29-2021, 03:09 PM   #93
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post

Well......at least you didn't "fall" in it!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #94
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Well......at least you didn't "fall" in it!
Laugh track...drops microphone...gnite folks! I’lll be here all week! Don’t forget to tip your waitress!..more laughs ensue..
Lol
Old 01-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #95
ewbldavis

...and I wipe and wipe and still...poop...it's like a marker...

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #96
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Holy crap! I agree with Jasin1! Apparently I’m just too old school. Please give me a bush to hide behind while out hunting over a bidet. I’ll even be happy and not complain at -20 degrees and 3 bighorn sheep ewes having to watch me.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:54 PM   #97
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
The reason for the color coding wash cloths is so they do not get used for any other purpose except 1. Or, actually, for #2.

Put up 2 hooks and have one for 'him' and one for 'her.' Or pay extra and get the Bidet with the blow dryer. Nothing get's touched then.

The whole purpose for the Bidet is so you do NOT use any toilet paper. No toilet paper, no sewer-septic - black tank, what is the best TP to use .... problems.

As the original poster stated, they were looking for "alternatives." This is definitely and alternative, not in any way-shape-or-form, the only one.

One more comment... if you are experiencing hemorrhoids, bowel problems, urinary problems, IBS problems, digestive problems, colon problems, rashes, infections, or any number of problems "down there" and "wiping" is difficult .... this is THE alternative that works!
Whether using the bidet or paper you WILL still have to deal with the "sewer-septic" & draining the black, it'll still have the contents just minus the paper which doesn't make any more pleasant.
Not to mention what happen if the "his" or " hers" towel gets accidentally dropped in & flushed, now there's a sh###y situation.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet