Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #21
K.C. Jones

LOL… I thought the 751 key was matched to my RV.. “See picture below”

Thanks for all the information on Locks and RV Security, or the Lack thereof ?
With all the Excitement of Taking Delivery of the RV I think I wore myself down and caught a good old fashion Cold. I’ve been wanting to respond to all the Great replies, but, I’ve not felt well….
Happy to say Cold is gone and I feel myself again!!!

So getting back to ..should I replace my lock with a Remote with fob and key pad? I think I will wait, and see if the fail rate is low… I do understand how easy it would be to breach the door of a RV!!

If I’m occupying the RV and Hear a Screw Driver/Crow-Bar manipulating the door I wonder if the Laws are the same as for a Residential Home? Once I let them in…I mean once they get in and, If I fear for my life - is Deadly Force Legal??

As for Keys that open all Doors I don’t like that at all!! You might not hear that entry, or think it’s a Loved One!!! That’s not going to be a Problem for now…
I’m just concerned whenever I’m staying in a RV Park/Campground someone will think they have the right RV… and let themselves in ours by mistake??? Can that happen?

Thanks for all the Great Replies …Everyone!!

Have a Great day and Keep Warm!!
K.C.

K.C. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

We won't discuss the legalities of deadly force in a campground as those kinds of threads get off track quickly.

Since "pass" keys wont operate the deadbolt portion, just make sure you engage the deadbolt any time your not in the trailer and when you go to bed for the night. I can say that in the 30+ yrs of RVing I have yet to have someone think my unit was theirs and try to enter. The odds of someone else having the same key as yours is extremely slim. BTW glad to hear your feeling better. Now get out and enjoy your trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C. Jones View Post
LOL… I thought the 751 key was matched to my RV.. “See picture below”

Thanks for all the information on Locks and RV Security, or the Lack thereof ?
With all the Excitement of Taking Delivery of the RV I think I wore myself down and caught a good old fashion Cold. I’ve been wanting to respond to all the Great replies, but, I’ve not felt well….
Happy to say Cold is gone and I feel myself again!!!

So getting back to ..should I replace my lock with a Remote with fob and key pad? I think I will wait, and see if the fail rate is low… I do understand how easy it would be to breach the door of a RV!!

If I’m occupying the RV and Hear a Screw Driver/Crow-Bar manipulating the door I wonder if the Laws are the same as for a Residential Home? Once I let them in…I mean once they get in and, If I fear for my life - is Deadly Force Legal??

As for Keys that open all Doors I don’t like that at all!! You might not hear that entry, or think it’s a Loved One!!! That’s not going to be a Problem for now…
I’m just concerned whenever I’m staying in a RV Park/Campground someone will think they have the right RV… and let themselves in ours by mistake??? Can that happen?

Thanks for all the Great Replies …Everyone!!

Have a Great day and Keep Warm!!
K.C.

In every place I've been the castle doctrine (or some form of it) applies if you are in your RV (home). One needs to check those things before going to a new place. I pull them up, read and print them before every trip into new territory.

We have the factory locks on our RV and have had no incidents of any kind over the last 4 seasons on this trailer...or any RV before it. We lock the deadbolt every night before going to bed plus we have my burglar alarm (dog) that will let me know if anyone is even around the trailer much less trying to get in. The only time I've EVER felt surprised by someone at my door was a mistake. We were about to get ready for bed about 10pm and someone knocked on our door...which has never happened. I unlocked the deadbolt and pulled the door handle to have the door jerked out of my hand. Needless to say I went into defensive mode and had a .40 pointed at the guys head as the door was opened. Unfortunately, it was a young man we have befriended there in the park who is very nice but not completely all there. He stood there in total shock as I quickly reholstered the weapon. He had come to invite us to his church the next day........ I apologized profusely and told him to NEVER yank a door out of someone's hand, especially late at night.

All that to say even if you are inside and things go awry you can still help keep yourself prepared for the bad guys. You never know when it might happen so I always try to err on the side of being "safe".

As far as someone "mistaking" your trailer, like Chuckster57 said, if you have the deadbolt locked that should eliminate that hopefully.

Don't over worry about the lock/safety issues. Using what came with the trailer should be fine. You just need to make sure you take the necessary steps, every time, to lock all the locks on the trailer, look it over closely upon return, throw the deadbolt at night and take whatever precautions you deem fitting for you and yours to protect you in the event of a hostile coming into your trailer with you there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #24
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I would actually find it quite humorous if someone thought about doing this. We never go camping without both of them. All 195 pounds of them. Maybe I should put a roll of toilet paper out by my stairs?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I would actually find it quite humorous if someone thought about doing this. We never go camping without both of them. All 195 pounds of them. Maybe I should put a roll of toilet paper out by my stairs?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312

Look like pups that would just run to give me a kiss I'm a dog guy, love 'em and they know it. Nice looking dogs.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #26
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs up Oh Crap

Quote:

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
also wanted to ask campers why that toilet roll holder/paper was mounted on the outside of their rig. Got It Now
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #27
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs up

K.C. Jones, Lets see are you not the western PA member? If I remember one of your posts mentioned you had one of our PA black bears interested in your your camper . So do not have to worry about type lock. Invite him/her into the camper and hit the road. Oh, do not forget the toilet paper . I see you have the same white stuff up there
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #28
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Look like pups that would just run to give me a kiss I'm a dog guy, love 'em and they know it. Nice looking dogs.
Thanks, they are lovers but play rough and you would swear I am running a dog fighting ring with Michael Vick sometimes. They are certainly scarey sounding, thus the need to supply the TP...for the unprepared.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 03-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #29
66joej

Quote:

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
Perfect Chip!That's why we take this vicious fellow along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-01-15 10.10.51.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	12001  

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #30
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Perfect Chip!That's why we take this vicious fellow along.
I love it. Is that a Canuckachauhau?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 03-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #31
66joej

Quote:
I love it. Is that a Canuckachauhau?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
Please! He is a Jack Russell that thinks he is one of us.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #32
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

He's a good looking boy. High energy I'm guessing? They always look like they are having fun.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 03-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Please! He is a Jack Russell that thinks he is one of us.
That's a good looking boy as I've told you. My Ginger looks just like him in the face, and is some sort of terrier mix per the vet, but, she weighs in at 51 lbs. which is quite a bit more than a Jack Russell I imagine. Gotta love 'em.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:44 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C. Jones View Post
Wow!!
Being a Rookie RV Owner “Hideout 27DBS” I’m surprised at how many additional items are required to “Do it Right the First Time” With that thought in mind …How many of you have replaced your Lock Set on your Entry Doors? I’m looking at a Lock Set with a keypad and fob.

Whenever I first looked at my RV the Salesmen was unlocking the door and I commented on How many keys he had to keep tract of…his reply ..”I have a Master Key” That didn’t set well with me??

So. For the first additional Item that I didn’t know I needed is a new lock-set

My Questions are…. Have you replaced your Lock-Set …why?, Best Brand to consider?

Thanks for Reading…

K.C.
The first thing I did when we bought our last camper was to get the fey number from the front door and ordered matching locksets for every door on the unit, including the outside kitchen, the pass thru doors and even the outside shower. It was a convenience measure and resolved the "universal " storage door locks. Now I have many spare keys and only need one key to open anything on the camper. I also use "Bolt" brand locks that use the truck key for the hitch lock and a cable version for locking bikes etc. I no longer look like a high School custodian or a Jailer with a ring full of keys. 2 Keys and I'm good to go!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote