Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
K.C. Jones

LOCK HER UP!!! And Throw Away The Key…?

Wow!!
Being a Rookie RV Owner “Hideout 27DBS” I’m surprised at how many additional items are required to “Do it Right the First Time” With that thought in mind …How many of you have replaced your Lock Set on your Entry Doors? I’m looking at a Lock Set with a keypad and fob.

Whenever I first looked at my RV the Salesmen was unlocking the door and I commented on How many keys he had to keep tract of…his reply ..”I have a Master Key” That didn’t set well with me??

So. For the first additional Item that I didn’t know I needed is a new lock-set

My Questions are…. Have you replaced your Lock-Set …why?, Best Brand to consider?

Thanks for Reading…

K.C.
K.C. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
canesfan

There are generally 2 locks on the door, the master key only works on one of them. And everybody has a "master key" to all these doors, it's called a crowbar, or even a large screwdriver. You may make yourself feel a little better replacing the lock, but in the end not sure you'll be accomplishing much else.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:16 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

As canesfan pointed out, pass keys seem to be common. Your not supposed to be able to obtain a set unless you can show proof of employment at an RV dealership.

That said, I have a set issued by my dealership that sits in my toolbox. Easy Peasy if I wanted to go to the local key maker and make copies. As for replacement sets: a majority of trailers use the FIC or similar lock set that uses a square head key. Tri mark has a lock set that will fit and uses a round head key. THAT pass key is less common, as is the Bauer lockset.

The lock sets with touch pads and fobs aren't popular with us. Of the half dozen or so we've encountered, all but one have failed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you consider that the door on your RV is a "sheet of plastic bonded to a light metal frame filled with Styrofoam" you'll realize that all it takes to break into your trailer is a "firm kick in the center of the door", then you'll realize that the lockset is just to keep honest people honest. Anyone who wants into your trailer doesn't need a key and replacing the "functional lockset" with an expensive "theftproof" model is really nothing more than "psychologic warfare" against an unknown thief.

Whew, that was a mouthful only to say, any chain is only as strong as the weakest link and the weakest link in your door is not the lockset, so you're probably chasing rainbows to believe an improved lock will make your trailer safer.

The reality of RV locksets is that the master key your salesman talked about will only unlock the top cylinder on your lockset, the deadbolt is "key specific" and the master won't unlock it. That's why he had the "ring with all those keys.

In reality, you could install a "high security, impenetrable" lockset and, as stated, anyone with a big screwdriver has the "master key" to your trailer door.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Sounds like that PA bear now has keys

To be honest I have thought about it yet I have none nothing. If I recall think it was ebay was selling a group of keys ~$40 that advertised you could get into any RV.

I have only had two issues with access to the RV, one was where I was locked in the RV , keys in hand. The second again keys in hand could not get door open from the outside. Actually did go over to neighbor to try their keys knowing how secure these RV's are

I have yet to take action on switching out locking systems. I think we have had posts on touch pad locks.

I am sure others will chime in. Still comfy in that RV?? Interested in how your Bear is doing?
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #6
TAZ23

I agree with canesfan a pry bar will gain entry into a camper if some one is determined. I've seen it on a dealers lot. Campers are not built like houses.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:28 AM   #7
Javi

My trailer has one of them fancy battery operated locks... During the inspection the tech was proud to show me how it worked... easy peezy

Got home and loaded all our stuff and locked it up... came back a week later to put a few more items in the trailer... fancy door lock didn't work... okay no big deal, just change the batteries.. Next weekend... you guessed it... Took the batteries out and two and a 1/2 years later I still ain't replaced them...
Old 03-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

When my previous trailer was stored at a public lot, I made sure to deadbolt my door. Turns out a group of employees was supplementing their income on weekends. My door was obviously pried on but didn't open. Maybe because they didn't want to spend much time or maybe they were about to get caught. They did manage to get my compartments open, but who doesn't have a CH751 key.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
fatcatzzz

Bought mine here www.rvlock.com. True it won't make the door theif proof, but good for piece of mind. JMO
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
66joej

^^^ Agree with all of the above. Even an amatuer crook has never let a lock deter him/her from getting what they want from your camper. Outside of leaving your pitbull in there we are unfortunately at their mercy.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:42 AM   #11
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
but who doesn't have a CH751 key.
Even my compartment door on my snowmobile trailer uses that key.
Just one less key I need to carry.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
Javi

751 keys... we build storage cabinets for a computer company and use thousands of locks with 751 keys... I've got a keg box sitting by my desk full of them..
Old 03-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
My trailer has one of them fancy battery operated locks... During the inspection the tech was proud to show me how it worked... easy peezy

Got home and loaded all our stuff and locked it up... came back a week later to put a few more items in the trailer... fancy door lock didn't work... okay no big deal, just change the batteries.. Next weekend... you guessed it... Took the batteries out and two and a 1/2 years later I still ain't replaced them...
Glad to here we humans still have control over technology. At least for battery operated devices
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #14
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I bought a electric lock w/fob. Just got it a couple of days ago so I haven't installed it. I bought it mainly for convenience. So I hope it doesn't fail me. At least they have pretty good reviews. By the way bought mine from rvlock.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #15
Tbos

I was locked out back in November. Fortunately only the slam lock was locked. A big screw driver and we were in. Then a trip to CW and I had a new lock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #16
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
Even my compartment door on my snowmobile trailer uses that key.
Just one less key I need to carry.
Sad that probably the most valuable stuff I've got is stored in compartments...
Old 03-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Happy to say nothing of REAL value is in compartments!!

Old 03-06-2017, 04:09 AM   #18
Pull Toy

As already mentioned, the Red Pass Key only works on one of the lock cylinders on the lock set. Eight years as a LEO taught me that "locks only keep honest people honest", most of the time!

If you are that worried about theft, either add an automotive alarm system, or find a safer place to park. The doors on most campers, even when double locked, are only secure enough to keep the wind out,

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #19
dagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C. Jones View Post
Wow!!
Being a Rookie RV Owner “Hideout 27DBS” I’m surprised at how many additional items are required to “Do it Right the First Time” With that thought in mind …How many of you have replaced your Lock Set on your Entry Doors? I’m looking at a Lock Set with a keypad and fob.

Whenever I first looked at my RV the Salesmen was unlocking the door and I commented on How many keys he had to keep tract of…his reply ..”I have a Master Key” That didn’t set well with me??

So. For the first additional Item that I didn’t know I needed is a new lock-set

My Questions are…. Have you replaced your Lock-Set …why?, Best Brand to consider?

Thanks for Reading…

K.C.
We have a hideout 178LHS that I just replaced the entry door lock with one of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00N58KQ...eywords=rvlock

I'm glad I did it. There is now a key fob remote, the key, or the code to get into the trailer. Note that the code and the fob only control the deadbolt and not the door handle lock.
dagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #20
Pmedic4

Replacement Lockset for FIC keys

I've told this story several times before, and generally I agree, locks only keep honest people honest. We had lost a set of keys, and needed to replace them, so I called the dealer, and they said to contact rvlocksandmore.com. Found the one key for about $7, wanted 2, and it seemed like postage and handing made the total about $20. Found you could buy every FIC key for about $55, which didn't seem very secure, and found they had a new lockset with a uniquely keyed lock for $26, so it seemed like a simple choice for the few dollars to just go ahead and get the uniquely keyed lock. Part of my decision is based on that we store our RV at a rather large storage yard, and there has been a couple of issues with some RV's with a few item being stolen, and no obvious 'break in'. Batteries in compartments with the 751 key were the common item taken. Possible just people left their RV unlocked, but the manager of the yard felt it since there are just so few unique keysets, and it was simple to find a matching key, especially the 751. So for a few bucks, I have a little peace of mind, definitely not in the price range Dagan mentioned.

By my UserID, you can see I have experience as a Paramedic, and sometimes had to gain entry to houses in emergency situations, and I can tell you for most doors the best universal key was a good shoulder, and if that didn't work, a prybar or 4' bolt cutters. We actually had specialized tools for access, so we were going to get in, yet rarely needed to use them as we were in before they could be dug out of the squad.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote