Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
rickyict

trailer brakes erratic

We recently went on a short 4 day weekend trip. Going to the campsite was business as usual - no problems. When leaving to head back home the trailer started to brake very erratic. No adjustments had been made to the controller so I knew that wasn't the problem. Every time I would stop, the brakes would apply normally and then as the truck and trailer got down to 20-25 mph or so its like the trailer brakes would just about lock up and literally jerk the truck back, then let up a little and jerk it again. (basically like you applied the manual override and let up) Sure is not a smooth stop at all. I looked at the connection from the trailer to the truck and seemed clean/fine. However this continued all the way home. I called our dealer and described it to their service advisor and he said that we should be adjusting the controller to "match the elements we were driving in". This didn't sit well with me. But he said they could schedule an appointment (4 weeks out) to look at it. I checked the output from the controller at the hitch connector and it was putting out a consistent voltage every time. Would adjust the controller and measure again and still was consistent so I would have to rule out the controller I would think. The trailer is a 2012 so it is not that old. I would think that the trailer wiring would be in good condition still. There were 2 occasions where the controller showed a short circuit error after coming to a complete stop. My manual for the controller doesn't go into detail about the error but does that mean if there is a short in the wiring it would lock up the brakes like that? The issue had somewhat of a pattern so I thought that a short would not be a cause. (intermittent usually doesn't follow patterns). Has any one seen an issue like that on a Keystone trailer? I just find it odd that it acted fine going but showed up going back.
rickyict is offline   Reply With Quote