Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
bigrigfixer

2016 26BHSWE bathroom access with slide in

We have a bit of a predicament with the bathroom door and the slide "in". I can't get into the bathroom. Makes it a pain to winterize, as I found out in November. It's not that big a deal to move the slide out so I can get in to the bathroom, but more to the point of my query is if one on the kids need to "go" on the side of the road, it's not in my best interest to slide out on the side of the highway.

I suggested taking the door off when traveling, but the hinge pins don't come out. I suggested replacing the door with a curtain, my wife won't go for that.

My latest brainstorm is to rearrange the door so it opens into the bathroom. Anyone done this?
Old 02-18-2016, 06:36 AM   #2
jsmith948

One of the members has, in fact, reversed the bathroom door. I don't recall the model of his trailer (or his name). Try doing a forum search. Seems like it was a year or more ago.

added: Here is a link to the threadhttp://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15754&highlight=bathroom+door

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
AlexChuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrigfixer View Post
We have a bit of a predicament with the bathroom door and the slide "in". I can't get into the bathroom. Makes it a pain to winterize, as I found out in November. It's not that big a deal to move the slide out so I can get in to the bathroom, but more to the point of my query is if one on the kids need to "go" on the side of the road, it's not in my best interest to slide out on the side of the highway.

I suggested taking the door off when traveling, but the hinge pins don't come out. I suggested replacing the door with a curtain, my wife won't go for that.

My latest brainstorm is to rearrange the door so it opens into the bathroom. Anyone done this?
One of the members on the board added an accordion door to replace the stock door. Sounded like a good idea for mine but I doubt the wife would go for it. It may be a good option for you though.
AlexChuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:35 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Do you have the room to secure the door in the open position before retracting the slide???? I seem to remember other members doing this in past posts. This problem was one of our factors for choosing the model we own. (access to fridge and toilet while on the road ) JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
Voyager

I removed my door and replaced it with an accordion door from Home Depot, the colours match and it looks good, you don't lose much if anything as far as privacy is concerned and it's very convenient to be able to access bathroom at rest stops
2 Champion 2000's
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Ok, I have a different model but, leave the door open as the slide when closed holds it. Also if you have not figured this out. In my model I open the slide about 1/4 way and get thru the unit find. Just do not step on the slide floor. Here we have rest areas and or parking lots to park when traveling and find a spot to open the slide fully to eat lunch etc.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
bigrigfixer

A bit more info. I can't hold the bathroom door open into the slide as there isn't enough room. As I look at the bathroom, the door swings in to the main area hinged on the right, and the slide is right there.

As it is, with the slide in, I can open the door about 8 inches before it hits the dinette on the slide. Believe me I've tried, but there's no way I can suck it in enough to fit through the door.

I'm hoping I can modify the hinges so I can take the pins out, otherwise I'll have to flip the door around. Hoping I have enough room in the bathroom to swing the door.