Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
We were talking about that recently. I assume there were a few pockets of customers that maybe had power for a day or so longer than some others. A few of those apparently were signed up with these secondary companies.
Those that bought power from the previously unknown companies signed up for what they got. To me they are just billing companies. They do heavy advertising and it seems a con job to me. Not reading the fine print and being gullible got 'em.
I think Gov "Grabbitt", as some call him, has issued a proclamation that those puddin heads are not responsible for their actions.
Now if Harris County (Houston) Judge "EL Commandante" Lina Hidalgo would open the bars as the Governor has recommended we would be almost normal.
https://houston.culturemap.com/news/...beto-o-rourke/
When these politicians get a bit in their mouth there's heck reining them in.

Make sure it's a curb bit and don't spare on the "tug".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #22
gearhead

^^ yes sir! Pull till they're about to throw you.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Thank you! Excellent suggestions.
I think Betty has me on income tax duty tomorrow but the next dry day I'll look at the wiring.
I always put the umbilical cord up in the pinbox and try to put the breakaway cable with it. Apparently missed it this time. Good lesson for me.
My wife and I spent the late afternoon yesterday doing our yearly taxes. I under withheld and will have to make quarterly payments this coming year. The pandemic seems to have real good for my business... My wife and I decided to try and make the marriage work after doing our taxes (she does the books and I do the typing). A most unpleasant evening! I spent over an hour on the phone with TurboTax support as I couldn't get a CAPTCHA to appear and thus couldn't electronically file and it was a bear to figure out. And the Spurs ended up loosing anyway... YUCH.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #24
Bnrc73

Southeast Texas in Victoria.. power outage lasted 30 hours. Water outage for 3days. Montana performed flawlessly. Did have to plug in th pickup and run it for an hour to keep the house battery charged. Propane has been a problem. I got lucky and had both tanks full just before it hit. Neighbors class A has been out of propane for 3 weeks and can’t get the truck to come to the park. They tell him he’s on a list of over 300 customers waiting. And of course the cost has gone up .50 a gallon. Myself and fellow winter Texans came through pretty well. But there is a lot of local Texans were hit very hard. My prayers go out to them.
F350 SRW
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:08 AM   #25
goldtrigger

Electricity was not an issue for us. 48 hours with no power, 6 days with no water was an issue. Moved to the 5th wheel when the power went out, started up the generator. Camper was winterized, so no water in the camper. Collected snow melt when it began to warm up. Temp went from -2 on Tuesday, 16 Feb to 71 degrees on Tuesday 24 Feb. We love Texas. We lost water on Tuesday 16 Feb, got water back on Saturday, 20 Feb. Only pipe that froze was our back flow on the sprinkler system.
goldtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:25 AM   #26
Dallasrules

Virginia

We are in Virginia, so not too bad. We got some snow, but the weather has bee freezing and thawing repeatedly, so everything is a mess. My husband buried our dodge 3500 upto the front bumper the other day hitting a soft spot. It just sank. Believe it or not, we pulled it out with a Ford explorer, and a lot of Rock. In the midst of it all, I bought a little 28' 5th wheel with an active roof leak and the slide stuck out about 6". I had to send my 16 year old daughter up on a frozen roof 3 times. Yesterday we got to almost 60 degrees and dry for several hours. So we were able to get the slide straightened out and the roof patched up enough that it's not pouring water in. Now it's back to rain and looks like it will flood today.

I can't complain about anything though. I know how bad a lot of people have it right now. And I got a new toy to play with out of it.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:46 PM   #27
jack65

Wow, some stories here. Watched the news on Texas snowstorm. A friend of mine has lots of relatives in Texas and had a few horror stories.

As for me I live in Puyallup, WA in the NW where there is some snow, but in the Seattle/Tacoma area it's rare to get one or two days of 2"-3" of snow. The surrounding Cascade/Olympic Mountains get lots of snow and shuts the area down.

Not much in Puyallup, but when it happens, since we don't get much snow here, it brings the area to a stand still as no one knows how to drive in the stuff when you only have one or two days to learn how. Knowing that I stayed home when we had 6" at our house. Why did I stay home when I have a Ram 1500 4x4? Too many idiots out there that drive like there is no snow!

Makes you wonder what would happen if we have an extended time with EMP!
It would be a mess. This Texas thing for example. As for me, I'm set up with 6 months supply of medical supplies, water, food that doesn't need refrigerator, gasoline/generator, lots of wood for fireplace and of course toilet paper. LOL
So, maybe after the Chinese Virus event and now the Texas event, people will be more prepared.

It's sure pretty if you don't have to drive in it. My place:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-Feb12th-Snow-night_NR-web.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	563.4 KB
ID:	32224  
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:54 AM   #28
gearhead

If there ever is an EMP doesn't that kill solid state electronics? Control boards, mini computers etc. Wouldn't that kill anything with an electronic ignition?
So is it back to points ignition or magnetos?
Back to 1910?
Old 03-01-2021, 05:44 AM   #29
jack65

Quote:
If there ever is an EMP doesn't that kill solid state electronics? Control boards, mini computers etc. Wouldn't that kill anything with an electronic ignition?
So is it back to points ignition or magnetos?
Back to 1910?
Mostly right, including electricity. I believe the pre-70's cars will still run, but how many own one now? Can you imagine how many plane crashes... freeway jams etc.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:54 AM   #30
gearhead

If you think about it too much you'll be looking at windmills, wood stoves, and 1962 Jeeps. LOL
Old 03-01-2021, 08:37 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
If you think about it too much you'll be looking at windmills, wood stoves, and 1962 Jeeps. LOL
There's a lot to be said for that "pull start, regular gas Coleman 100cc dirt bike" for $500. No starter, magneto ignition system and easy to ride from place to place... https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...black-ct100u-b

I was just looking at my last purchase, a Stihl chainsaw... It's got an electronic ignition system, so I guess I'll be using that ancient 16" Poulan or an axe if we ever have a real power outage from an EMP.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

"Coleman Powersports CT100U-B is our classic style 100cc mini bike for youths to enjoy and learn the ropes of riding a gas powered mini bike."

I guess I could buy 2 of them and weld them together in order to carry my "very adult weight".
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:57 AM   #33
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
Wow, some stories here. Watched the news on Texas snowstorm. A friend of mine has lots of relatives in Texas and had a few horror stories.

As for me I live in Puyallup, WA in the NW where there is some snow, but in the Seattle/Tacoma area it's rare to get one or two days of 2"-3" of snow. The surrounding Cascade/Olympic Mountains get lots of snow and shuts the area down.

Not much in Puyallup, but when it happens, since we don't get much snow here, it brings the area to a stand still as no one knows how to drive in the stuff when you only have one or two days to learn how. Knowing that I stayed home when we had 6" at our house. Why did I stay home when I have a Ram 1500 4x4? Too many idiots out there that drive like there is no snow!

Makes you wonder what would happen if we have an extended time with EMP!
It would be a mess. This Texas thing for example. As for me, I'm set up with 6 months supply of medical supplies, water, food that doesn't need refrigerator, gasoline/generator, lots of wood for fireplace and of course toilet paper. LOL
So, maybe after the Chinese Virus event and now the Texas event, people will be more prepared.

It's sure pretty if you don't have to drive in it. My place:
Our son & his family have lived in Puyallup, Graham, Tacoma & currently in Gig Harbor & from our experience driving there people in that area can't drive when it's dry, or rather only rain, it's very rarely DRY!
We stayed in the Famcamp at McChord AFB in '08, DW fell & broke her ankle so we spent from Labor Day til the day after Christmas at the AFB with record breaking snowfall that winter dealing with getting the DW to/from doctors visits, what a PITA.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #34
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Our son & his family have lived in Puyallup, Graham, Tacoma & currently in Gig Harbor & from our experience driving there people in that area can't drive when it's dry, or rather only rain, it's very rarely DRY!
We stayed in the Famcamp at McChord AFB in '08, DW fell & broke her ankle so we spent from Labor Day til the day after Christmas at the AFB with record breaking snowfall that winter dealing with getting the DW to/from doctors visits, what a PITA.
Dry maybe for three months here, but the past two months I've only seen the sun all day maybe twice! If not just cloudy, it's raining.

I remember 2008. This was 2010 when we lived in Tacoma:
https://moskovita-photography.com/SnowHummersNov22.htm