Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
bobkeown

2190EX Hyrbrid/Expandable First Trip Thoughts

Took out my new 2190EX Expandable/Hybrid Camper on it's maiden voyage this weekend. Other than about a dozen YouTube videos from dealers showcasing this unit for sale, that was about all the that I could find about this travel trailer, so I thought I would put some unbiased opinions out here so people can make a better educated guess on if this is the travel trailer for them or not.

First off, I have a Toyota Tacoma V6 which is rated to tow 6400 pounds, so I am somewhat limited in what I could buy and tow. I traded in my 2017 Coleman 1705RB, which was about 3500 pounds dry weight. We loved the features of this camper, but we wanted something with more livable space. We walked in the 2190EX at Camper World one day and fell in love with it.

Here are the Pros for this camper
a) Lots of Room
b) Bunks are actually quite comfortable. 3 queen beds with Teddy Bear Mattresses that were much more comfortable than the horrible futon type mattress they put on the Murphy Bed in my coleman.
c) Easy to set up. Bunks seemed to be made of very good construction
d) Dinette table is U-shaped with great cushions. Very nice.
e) Didn't see a a large amount of craftsmanship defects as I did with our Coleman.
f) Going from a single axle trailer to a double axle was much easier than anticipated. I actually had a much easier time backing this unit up into a space than I ever did with my single axle Coleman. If you ever thought double axle is going to be harder to pull and control, it's exactly the opposite.

Now, here are some Cons for this camper
a) Only a 30 gallon grey tank. That is way too small for a camper that sleeps 8-10. I had to use my portable tote for the first time in two years. Never had to with the Coleman with a 38 gallon tank.
b). That 610 lb tongue weight is HEAVY. This could be a show stopper for many people with SUVs thinking they can pull this thing. Also came with a manual jack. For a tongue weight this heavy, you should have a power jack. I installed one in about 15 minutes this weekend. That is an easy fix.
c.) The omnidirectional antenna and FM antenna that are included with the Furion radio are just about useless. From my understanding, this omnidirectional antenna is supposed to also have the capability to plug in a LTE router, but this was not advertised on my particular unit. I preferred the King Jack antenna on my Coleman where I could point it in a certain direction and at least have a shot of picking up some channels.
d.) The bathroom is SMALL! I am only 5'10 and it was difficult to..putting it bluntly....dropping a deuce in there. You have to open the bathroom door to open your legs and ..umm...clean up. Not ideal.
e.) The Dometic large size refrigerator in this model is quite a bit smaller than the Norcold model of the same category that came with my Coleman. The Norcold seemed to get colder quicker.
f.) We looked at a Jayco 23B camper which is very similar to this model except it only has two bunks. That camper and my Coleman had much more storage space overall than this one, with both having a pass through compartment that I totally underrated until this weekend.. In my opinion, the storage spaces on the 2190EX are a little too small and need to be deeper and taller.
g.) Disappointing not having an LED light strip below the awning on this unit like almost all competitors do.
h.) There is a central vent that needs to be equipped with a high power fan, like a Fantastic Fan. This would provide much needed air flow, especially when cooking. And, oh yeah...the vent above the stove is just s smoke filtering fan and not a very good one.
i.) There was no designated area to mount the TV. I rolled the dice with my stud finder to find an area to mount an expandable mount. This may have been a bad decision because the refrigerator is on the other side of this wall. Not sure what the results will be on this decision, as I could not confirm I hit a stud, but it seems solid for the moment. The ledge they provide is too small for anything more than a 24" TV set.

Except for the grey tank and bathroom being small, overall I think this is a very nice camper with some minor things that could have been added to make this a nicer camper than it already is. If you do go with the 2190EX, expect to invest another couple hundred dollars in a towable portable tank. This would just about be a necessity for a long weekend, unless you don't mind unhooking your RV and hauling it to the dump station.

Anyone else with a 2190EX out there? Would love to hear your thoughts.
bobkeown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkeown View Post
The omnidirectional antenna and FM antenna that are included with the Furion radio are just about useless. From my understanding, this omnidirectional antenna is supposed to also have the capability to plug in a LTE router, but this was not advertised on my particular unit. I preferred the King Jack antenna on my Coleman where I could point it in a certain direction and at least have a shot of picking up some channels.
Indeed. I was disappointed at all the channels/stations I could not fetch when parked in my own driveway (house is smack in the signal path to the big city). I would say the omni is a good choice for overnight camping when you don't really know the area well enough to know what direction the broadcast signals come from, and worst for long-term camping when you would value program variety over setup convenience.