Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
racetech

Battery draw, radio etc stays on.

I've noticed my radio will not completely shut off, it remains lit with the time and I understand this is normal, but it is also another draw on the battery at times when I only have battery power. Is there a way to completely shut it down, without having to pull fuse or something. What are some other items that may needlessly draw power from battery? Thanks
Old 05-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
Lee

Hi,

I installed a simple push button on/off switch on my radio for the same reasons.

Lee

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I recently posted this in another thread. Applicable here as well:

You have at least 4 "phantom drains" on the battery. The Carbon Monoxide (CO) monitor, the Propane (LPG) monitor, the radio memory/backlight system and the TV OTA booster amplifier.

On some trailers there are other drains that you can control (if you remember to turn them on/off: The digital thermostat, if left in FURN or AIR will continue to draw a small bit of power, even if the trailer is unplugged from shore power (A/C inoperable) the thermostat system is still functional and drawing power, so turn the thermostat OFF to prevent that drain.

The most positive way to eliminate ALL the phantom drains is to either disconnect the batteries or install a "battery cutoff switch on either the POS or NEG battery cable. Which to use is a debate that we've never resolved with well over 30 years of discussion, so asking "which one" will not get you an answer that all will agree with the poster.

If you have a remote control system on your trailer, the receiver is also "always on and listening" so that is another phantom drain as well as any "LED indicators" on other devices such as "blown fuse indicator lights" on the power center 12VDC fuse panel. So, if you pull the fuse on a WFCO power center to shut off the LED in your stereo and the LED on the fuse panel lights (showing a blown/missing fuse), what have you gained ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, radio