Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
Brooksamc

90 day to reseal all seams on your camper

Ok I recieved my 2018 Keystone Hideout FKTS 24 April 2018. Guy dropped it handed me paperwork and left. The next day I tried to operate slides and they would not work. After 15 calls to seller I finally got a tech on the line and started tracing wires till I found the broke one about 2.5 hours later. I repaired it and the slides worked. I then took pics of dents, soft spot, trim bowed, and asked the seller about the damage (Lake-shore rv. in Michigan was the selling dealer) they never came up with a solution. Then I started noticing I had leaks under my kitchen window, in the kitchen cabinet, and along the hallway floor. I took it to a Keystone dealer here in Fort Worth, Texas 2 weeks ago and they tell me that they will not look at leaks after 90 days unless it has been serviced by a representative. I was never told to re-silicon my roof or windows within 90 days by anyone who sold or delivered my trailer.
My shower stall now has a crack in the corner about 3 inches they said they might cover that problem, and the soft spot in the floor might be a warranty. The spot in the floor I told them the first day I had the trailer that it was there.
I bought a brand new trailer, but got a trailer that has lots of problems. I only want them to fix whats is wrong with it, not anything more. Is that too much to ask from a company? Any body that has dealt with Keystone before on warranty please give me an idea of what to do next.
Thanks and God bless you.
David Brooks
Brooksamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #2
66joej

Not a good time of year but with all of those problems I would bring it back to the selling dealer. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Your first course of action should be to document everything and take it back to the selling dealer. My question is:

Did you inspect it and verify everything worked before accepting it?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
travelin texans

Sounds like you bought it sight unseen, probably on line, from a Michigan dealer, they delivered to you in Texas? They had it shipped by a transporter that offered NO PDI & couldn't do anything about it anyway. Now you need warranty work? If this is the case, GOOD LUCK, hope you saved lots of money!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #5
C.LeeNick

Wow! Sorry to hear you are having troubles.

I know you say you bought new, but your description sounds like a used trailer....and well used at that.

If it is truly supposed to be new, and the dealer isn't taking care of business, you might want to assemble your paperwork and contact Keystone directly. I've had extensive conversations with their representatives and it SEEMS they want to help. They even contacted my dealer on my behalf when the dealership had my trailer for over a month to perform about 2 days worth of warranty work. A problem may be that they want you to take it to the selling dealer for warranty service, but in my case, after talking with Keystone people, they did say that if the selling dealership wasn't taking care of business, I could take it to the next nearest dealer and they would approve the work through them.

My conversations with Keystone factory people have always been cordial, and I have probably talked to 5-6 people there. Only one time did I get a lady who appeared to have a hint of a confrontational attitude. They do document calls pretty well. Succeeding representatives could pull up my name and see all the details of previous phone conversations. If it were me, I'd go that route.

I was never told anything about resealing anything within 90 days either. That sounds like a total "fish story" to me. My dealership said everything was warranted "bumper-to-bumper" for a year, and indeed they have fixed what needed to be fixed. My issue was not with them doing the work, they have done it eventually, it was that they didn't do it in a timely manner after failing to reach several of their own deadlines. That was frustrating.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If you read the owners manual on pretty much every RV you’ll find that seams and seals are considered “routine maintenance” and owners responsibility 90 days after date of purchase. Any warranty issues should be covered during that initial 90 days.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

This is the best story I have read about how not to buy a RV. That said, the sale is done and problems need addressed. It was asked what to do, I think your doing everything you can unless your willing to go to a shop and pay to have the repairs done. Should it be that way no, but having a dealer look at it and ask Keystone to pay them for repairing it is about all you got.
What's the warranty information say, mine said 1 year. Most everything Keystone bought and installed has their own warranty, some longer than 1 year.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Over the years we have had many posts dealing with dealers and Keystone Warranty servicing. If I recall Keystone has no influence over the dealer in regard to performing warranty work, They can only recommend keystone dealers in your area. Each dealer has the right to not accept warranty work, generally this is the case where the RV was not purchased there. Other buying related posts emphasize this point by recommending that one find a local dealer with a reasonable selling price over the cheapest price. Better be saving a lot of money over local to cover inconvenience and traveling costs associated with warranty issues. Really put yourself at risk by no going through a complete PDI
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
E Rod

I was very fortunate with my 2017 Alpine. I had several issues with it especially the In Command. Had two frameless windows replaced, toilet water line replaced, water heater wouldn't heat water after one usage, replaced one Provider tire that chunk of rubber came off and several others. Spent two months at the shop but they all got repaired or replaced.

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksamc View Post
Ok I recieved my 2018 Keystone Hideout FKTS 24 April 2018. Guy dropped it handed me paperwork and left. The next day I tried to operate slides and they would not work. After 15 calls to seller I finally got a tech on the line and started tracing wires till I found the broke one about 2.5 hours later. I repaired it and the slides worked. I then took pics of dents, soft spot, trim bowed, and asked the seller about the damage (Lake-shore rv. in Michigan was the selling dealer) they never came up with a solution. Then I started noticing I had leaks under my kitchen window, in the kitchen cabinet, and along the hallway floor. I took it to a Keystone dealer here in Fort Worth, Texas 2 weeks ago and they tell me that they will not look at leaks after 90 days unless it has been serviced by a representative. I was never told to re-silicon my roof or windows within 90 days by anyone who sold or delivered my trailer.
My shower stall now has a crack in the corner about 3 inches they said they might cover that problem, and the soft spot in the floor might be a warranty. The spot in the floor I told them the first day I had the trailer that it was there.
I bought a brand new trailer, but got a trailer that has lots of problems. I only want them to fix whats is wrong with it, not anything more. Is that too much to ask from a company? Any body that has dealt with Keystone before on warranty please give me an idea of what to do next.
Thanks and God bless you.
David Brooks

David, this is a text book example of the reason you don't buy an RV from a dealer from across the country to save a few bucks.

A selling dealer would have done a pdi prior to the sale and a post sale inspection with you to verify that everything worked and THEN you would have had a dealer to return to if they failed to something correctly. Instead, you have a trailer that probably didn't have a pdi from the dealer, you didn't do a post sale inspection and the deliver driver took off. Now whether he hit 17 power poles, blew 5 tires, ran on the rims and dropped the holding tanks on the highway....you'll never know.

Upon delivery of any new toy (more expensive ones), and ESPECIALLY where you didn't even talk to anyone or put your hands/eyes on it, you need to review the paperwork. I believe the vast majority, if not all, manufacturers give a 90 day warranty on leaks and state that the owner must do maintenance on those things. The delivery driver was not the one to tell you of all the things you need to do....the selling dealer was....over there, across the country.

You are learning, and I'm afraid it will be costly, a valuable lesson. Keystone is not to blame for your woes; I've seen LOTS of things happen to a new RV on the dealer lot not related to Keystone construction. How do you, or they, know something like that didn't happen to yours? Not having a "home" dealer can cost you thousands, and is the reason those guys "on the other side of the country" are perfectly willing to drop their sales price a few thousand bucks.

Now, you are where you are. You need to document everything that is wrong. Don't know that you can document the way it was when received which will be a problem. Document, take pictures and be sure to log calls to a dealership, contact, conversation and things agreed to. I like email since I can save, copy etc. Keystone is going to usually stand by the letter of their warranty; I, and others, have been lucky enough that they worked really hard for us, but, more importantly our SELLING dealer who goes to bat for you in any questionable circumstance. I had had a situation that was an obvious situation of warranty; Keystone disagreed. After getting in the middle of the service manager and GM they interceded on my behalf and provided the proper documentation and Keystone agreed to the repairs. You will not have any of those benefits.

Try to follow the above suggestions and hopefully you will have some luck. Your best bet is to find a very good dealership that takes care of ALL customers and not just theirs but they are few and far between.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #11
Brooksamc

trailer was bought sight unseen and delivered to me in Carlsbad, NM. I immediately started contacting and documenting problems with Lakeshore Rv but have not got anywhere with them , they say its keystones problem. Iam just sick since it was brand new
Old 11-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #12
Brooksamc

thank you problem is I pipeline and move from state to state all the time. Almost no way to have a home dealer, wish it was that easy.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #13
Brooksamc

Thanks didn't think buying a new trailer I would be facing these problems immediately. Whether I bought it in the north or south. I live in mine as a pipeliner and dont stay in the same place very long.
U.S. Navy Vet
Old 11-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #14
Brooksamc

Yes sir it is a year but they tell me silicone needs to be replaced every 90 days, which seems very excessive. But my trailer was leaking before 90 days I just could not get it to the nearest keystone dealer within 90 days.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Personal thoughts here: you were hoodwinked by the selling dealer. As a rule any unit sold should be subjected to a complete PDI and all issues should be addressed. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case here. Your best course is to maintain a good relationship with Keystone and ask if they can help find s dealer close by to do the warranty work. The unfortunate truth is there really isn’t any money in warranty work and that’s one of the reasons so many are reluctant to do it.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #16
Brooksamc

yes the savings was about 8,000. I guess I will put that back into the camper.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #17
JimQ

Welcome to the forum David! Sorry you are having issues with it.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

David,

I know you are sick. I hate that you are having so many problems. I've spent lots of time in Carlsbad and have many friends there. I would come over and help you out if I was in W TX, but I'm in FL.

Have you tried Carlsbad RV Service? I think they are a Keystone dealer but don't know if they do warranty work on units they didn't sell. I also think they have a mobile service but doubt Keystone would spring for that but they might. I think there is a Keystone dealer in Roswell, doubt there is anything in Artesia and the one I know of in Hobbs is just about dried up if I recall.

You need to stay on top of this and get the issues resolved. They don't get better with the passage of time, only worse, and remember your warranty really will expire in April.

Also keep in mind that you want to maintain a good relationship with Keystone. Your problems could have been caused by any number of things but the only entity that will help you, and pay for any repairs, is Keystone so don't alienate them. Document, photograph etc. for your records and submission to Keystone if/when required - that is what the dealership would have to do along with a detailed description of what the issue is and what caused it.

Your situation would have me upset as well and living in it while trying to get it repaired is going to pose some real problems. Good luck on getting someone to step up and help you out and keep us apprised of your progress.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #19
dsttexas

Lake shore RV

I too purchased from them due to being sufficiently cheaper than local dealer, and did a round trip from Texas for the walkthrough and pickup.

While I've had a few problems, for the most part working with local TX rv shop and Lakeshore and Kestone when necessary have resolved most of them.

However everytime I call local shop for service the first question asked is "Did you buy from us?" They are upfront that their customers come first schedule wise, but did handle issues "ok".

When I called another large dealer a little further away, they replied they were sorry but were not taking any service business if not purchased through them as just too overloaded.

I suspect this problem will just get worse given the increase in sales without increase in service staffs and shop sizes. Not to say anything about lack of growth in RV parks!

Next upgrade or purchase will not be done at wholesale dealer half way across the country, but at local dealer with good service reputation.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #20
Phil Saran

I sort of learned my lesson when we went to Texas to buy our gas class A MH a Thor Hurricane 34E.

Yes I saved $20k on the purchase price, but paid for it in the end.

In Colorado Camping World is the only authorized dealer for that MH. I also got the “we take care of our customers first”, but I talked with the service manager and I got taken care of in a timely manner.

We recently purchased our new 5th wheel trailer in South Dakota but at a Camping World dealership. And I will take it to the CW local to me in Colorado for the couple of items I have on my repair list.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote