Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
Hi just my two cents. i have worked on all 3 brands of diesel trucks. As far as the Ford 6.0 goes i would rather be strapped to an out of control reactor then work on any more 6.0's thank you epa. I know i'll get flack for this. but every day I am on the international auto tech network. and everydaythere is a post for a 6.0 that has a major issue. yes there are issues with everthing made but the 6.0 is #1 duramax and cummins and the other Ford's are infrequent posttings. ok i'll get down from and let the flogging begine and people say saabs have problems!!!!
my 2 cents,
Yes, it has been reported to me out here where we live by diesel mechanics that the new Ford PSD is the best engine built by Ford, and that the new Cummins is the new 6.0 PSD-They are also blowing head gaskets.

I traded an '06 Dodge CTD for the '05 6.0 PSD listed below and couldn't be happier. On your tech network, was has been done to all the 6.0's with all those problems? Were they properly maintained, and most important, were they chipped? Chipping is a no-no with these engines. The head bolts are the engine's weak link, and will stretch under the pressure. When I was doing my research on this truck on forums such as the Powerstroke forum, most, if not all, of those having major problems had done this along with other mods. They should be left stock. Yes, they at times could use a little extra umph, and will very rarely beat a CTD in a drag race or tug-of-war, but I would feel that they have plenty of power for the majority of us. Again, my 2 cents and I will come off my now.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Cougarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
rheltzel

Ford 6.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFHarrison View Post
I'm looking to get a Ford SD diesel(used with 160-190K miles)and all i hear is stay away from the 6.0. Anyone on here have one and what is the reliability of them. It will be my daily driver. I hear if you take care of the EGR and Studs your golden. Or can i just make sure that I keep the EGR valve clean. Please help, I have a small budget and last thing i need is for it to be a money pit.

Thanks in advance for any help or input.
We just traded our 2005 F-250 6.0L in on a new 2012 F-350 6.7L. We only had 32,500 miles on the 05 and had already had to put over $2,000 in the engine for repairs. It had received all scheduled maintenance at our local Ford dealer and had been used mainly for towing our Bigfoot trailer (4,000 dry) and a short stint with our new Vantage (7,200 dry). I never babied it, but I never abused it either. The bottom line is it is a problematic engine. For typical weakpoints and problems, log onto YouTube and search for "Powerstroke Engine Problems".

I would recommend you look for a 7.3L engine. I'm sure the 6.0L can be "bulletproofed", but you're looking at a fair chunk of $$$ to do that.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
SAABDOCTOR

DO YOU GUYS HAVE Rust issues in Fla? here in the northeast the body rots long before the engine needs any work. my 2000 2500 td had 170k on it. plowed and towed till we bought the 05 3500. it is still a great truck. it is living with our son in georgia. had to do some shocks tierods and a clutch at 160k. it runs great but has some rust from all the salt they use up here, only reason we bought the 05 was i needed an auto the clutch was killing my worn out knees. so if the one your looking at is rust free it could be a good truck good luck just a note both trucks had electric windows a/c and seat. cd player and that is it I am not one for bling. my bling is a 1990 saab convertable and the montana!!!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #24
SAABDOCTOR

cougar family i have heard about the 06-12 cummins. that is why i will not let go of my i6 isb cummins. i have heard great things about the new Ford 6.7 and intheory the 13 dodge is supposed to be better. i personally like the inline 6 for simplisity. all the v8's are a pita! to every truck out there. there are good ones and bad ones in every brand. depends on the luck of the draw and how they are taken care of. that is why i will never recomend one brand over another. if Johnny has a good 6.0 without problems then they are great. if he gets a bad one then they are no good. i have had good service from both of my isb cummins. so i am lucky. when asked i say mine are good your results may varry! enjoy
Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #25
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheltzel View Post
We just traded our 2005 F-250 6.0L in on a new 2012 F-350 6.7L. We only had 32,500 miles on the 05 and had already had to put over $2,000 in the engine for repairs. It had received all scheduled maintenance at our local Ford dealer and had been used mainly for towing our Bigfoot trailer (4,000 dry) and a short stint with our new Vantage (7,200 dry). I never babied it, but I never abused it either. The bottom line is it is a problematic engine. For typical weakpoints and problems, log onto YouTube and search for "Powerstroke Engine Problems".

I would recommend you look for a 7.3L engine. I'm sure the 6.0L can be "bulletproofed", but you're looking at a fair chunk of $$$ to do that.
Yes, the 6.0 can be buttlet-proofed. It and the 6.4 are probably where it came from.

I don't think going to Youtube is necessarily a fair place to go to judge something. I once saw a video there where a father was stuck in rush hour traffic with his camera rolling. There was a PSD behind him that probably had a bad injector, and was smoking. He says to his kids that "that is why we don't own Fords". Really? Just because you see one 6.0 Ford smoking at that given time, you don't drive Fords? We live in a major oil and gas producing region where there are hundred of PSDs being driven every day. IN the 12 years we have lived here, I have seen two smoking. One 6.0, and one 7.3. Then again, I have also seen smokers from every other make of oil field truck. Every brand has it's problems. And yes the 6.0 has it share of problems, but the majority, from what I have learned, are caused by those trying to boost horsepower by way of chips. As I have read elsewhere on this forum about Keystone products, whenever someone has a gripe about something Keystone has sold them, it always comes out. Very rarely does anyone post something they are pleased about. I believe the same could also apply to other issues in life.

We also put over $2,000 into a used '06 CTD, while putting less than 20,000 miles on it ourselves. Would I buy another one? Yes I would, as I would another 6.0 PSD as long it was stock and well maintained. To me personally, the ideal truck would be an '04-'10 bodystyle Ford with the 7.3 PSD.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
davidjsimons

Well, with all of these discussions going back and forth, Dodge or Ford, let me say that I have driven nothing but Dodges for almost thirty years and a Cummins powered Dodge since 1990. I can truthfully tell you that I have never owned a bad truck. With that being said, I know people who would never own another Dodge based on their experience. First and foremost, service is the number one issue. You must perform regular service on your truck. My current truck is a STOCK 2012 Ram 3500 with a High Output Cummins. My old 1990 Ram is also a STOCK Cummins and again, it has 658,000 miles on it. Can a Powerstroke or a Duramax achieve that mileage? I am sure that given the same care and service my Cummins has received, the answer most likely is yes. You can retro fit your truck with chips, dips, chains and whips if you like but my opinion is that the piston is going to go up and down a certain amount of times and a given amount of fuel will be consumed. How quickly you wish to speed that number along is strictly up to you, but I am happy with the service my trucks have offered me based upon my use and care. I work my trucks hard, but never to the point of abuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
SAABDOCTOR

DUDE RELAX! IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER fORDS ARE THE BEST RUCK IN THE WORLD THEY NEVER BREAK OR HAVE PROBLEMS LIKE ALL THE OTHERS!!! OK! CHILL GO HAVE A BEER QUESS MY OPINION MUST BE WRONG.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
SAABDOCTOR

DAVID I AM WITH YOU ON THAT STAEMENT BUT SOMEHOW I MANAGE TO TICK PEOPLE OFF if i post my opinnion. "you can have my doge when you pry it out of my cold dead hands" the 05 doesn't get used much in thewinter since i don't plow anymore. and i drive an old volvo 850 in the winter. so i hope the body on the beast will last. i hope i hope.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
Cougarfamily

Quote:
cougar family i have heard about the 06-12 cummins. that is why i will not let go of my i6 isb cummins. i have heard great things about the new Ford 6.7 and intheory the 13 dodge is supposed to be better. i personally like the inline 6 for simplisity. all the v8's are a pita! to every truck out there. there are good ones and bad ones in every brand. depends on the luck of the draw and how they are taken care of. that is why i will never recomend one brand over another. if Johnny has a good 6.0 without problems then they are great. if he gets a bad one then they are no good. i have had good service from both of my isb cummins. so i am lucky. when asked i say mine are good your results may varry! enjoy
I couldn't agree more with you on all you said. Every brand has it's lemons, and it's shinning stars. With all that I have written today, I hope everyone isn't thinking that I am saying that everyone should go out and buy the next 6.0 PSD they find. I am just trying to make a point that they shouldn't be easily scared away from all of the hype that is out there about the engine. If you find one you like, take it to a dealer to be scoped for any issues and for any pending recalls. I would also try to have it tested under load if possible. If it all checks out, and the truck hasn't been abused, and it is what they like, then get it. With that in mind, if they are able to buy an extended warranty from a repatable company, I would also recommend that if they feel that would ease their fears any.

I would believe, that in order to have the kind of working space on a V8 that there is on a I6, the nose of the truck would have to stick way out there. Since I don't much room on the sides of the PSD engine, the turbo unfortunately has to go on top. And in order to keep the legnth of the nose down, Ford had to put the turbo under the lip of the cab. This problem is even magnified on the 6.4 PSD with it's twin turbos. The cab has to come off if the turbos or anything below them has to come off, from what I've been told. A screwy thing happend with our CTD. A $40 3-5 inch heater bypass hose cost us over $200 to replace because it was behind the turbo and tubing, and I couldn't reach it. Go figure.

Although we had several expensive problems with our '06 CTD, I would still recommend one to others, just as I am the PSD. It should just be what you like, need, and can afford. In a perfect world, we all could always afford that brand new, current year truck of our choice off the show room floor. Until we get there, which we won't, we just do the best we can with what we have.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 02-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
davidjsimons

Thank goodness this is not a vanilla world. Ain't it fun having a discussion about the Big Three.

davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #31
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
Thank goodness this is not a vanilla world. Ain't it fun having a discussion about the Big Three.

Yes that is true. And who said anything about the Big Three!

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #32
SAABDOCTOR

darn right that's what i was thinkin!!!!! as i am writing this we are lowering the body back on an e350 6.0 van had to replace injectors. this van is a poster child for no maintance. but pull the body to get the valve covers off, well today i hate fords!!! your experiance is based on maintanace you like most of the people on this forum take care of their trucks. just look at the pictures. but i do go on the "iatn" network every night.this is for techs only. the 6.0 horror stories and they out number all the rest most are no starts fiam and wrong oil filters installed but some are nightmares. the new ford 6.7s really have no hits. the 6.7 cummins has head gasket cat and turbo issues. but that is mostly for the"play"trucks the ones that tow and work hard do not seem to be prone to cat and turbo issues headgaskets yes. it is what keeps me busy
Old 02-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #33
Cougarfamily

Quote:
DUDE RELAX! IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER fORDS ARE THE BEST RUCK IN THE WORLD THEY NEVER BREAK OR HAVE PROBLEMS LIKE ALL THE OTHERS!!! OK! CHILL GO HAVE A BEER QUESS MY OPINION MUST BE WRONG.
Never said Ford was the best and that they never break or don't have problems. Just trying to make sure this thread wasn't totally one sided. And you haven't ticked me off or anything. I respect your opinion, as I would hope you would mine.

And I have more important things to spend our hard earned money on than beer! On second thought, that might make things go better the next couple of months after my wife loses her job on Monday!

edit: Sweet, my wife just called and she starts a new job on Wed! May have to go buy some wine now.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #34
Cougarfamily

Quote:
darn right that's what i was thinkin!!!!! as i am writing this we are lowering the body back on an e350 6.0 van had to replace injectors. this van is a poster child for no maintance. but pull the body to get the valve covers off, well today i hate fords!!! your experiance is based on maintanace you like most of the people on this forum take care of their trucks. just look at the pictures. but i do go on the "iatn" network every night.this is for techs only. the 6.0 horror stories and they out number all the rest most are no starts fiam and wrong oil filters installed but some are nightmares. the new ford 6.7s really have no hits. the 6.7 cummins has head gasket cat and turbo issues. but that is mostly for the"play"trucks the ones that tow and work hard do not seem to be prone to cat and turbo issues headgaskets yes. it is what keeps me busy
So, if they keep you employed and the Keystone in the driveway, why do you hate them so? Ya, I hate doing basically the same thing day after day, but keep it coming! And in this economy, we should be hoping that it all keeps coming, and your case, bring on the 6.0's? Correct?

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch
Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #35
SAABDOCTOR

congrats on the dw's new job!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #36
SAABDOCTOR

well i really work on saabs and volvos i dislike the lack of thought that goes into some cars/ trucks. and you have to admit pulling a body to change injectors is a little bit off center. i am sooo old school kiss.! i do not need a body controll module to lock my doors open my windows and trun the blue high beam light on! you also ask why i complain. remember i have to tell people what it will cost and then they yell like i designed the car/truck they drive. manufactures build what they think we want. not what we want. when all that wiz pop stuf breaks will it's expenssive and the first question most customers ask is do i need to have this i never wanted this. thats why i complaine. my favorite quote "old age and trechery will over come youth and wizzardry" ps i do love my job just after 45 years i am tired of out workin the yung pups and i get grouchy. think it will soon be time for some rum and coke!!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #37
rheltzel

Ford 6.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfamily View Post
Yes, the 6.0 can be buttlet-proofed. It and the 6.4 are probably where it came from.

I don't think going to Youtube is necessarily a fair place to go to judge something. I once saw a video there where a father was stuck in rush hour traffic with his camera rolling. There was a PSD behind him that probably had a bad injector, and was smoking. He says to his kids that "that is why we don't own Fords". Really? Just because you see one 6.0 Ford smoking at that given time, you don't drive Fords? We live in a major oil and gas producing region where there are hundred of PSDs being driven every day. IN the 12 years we have lived here, I have seen two smoking. One 6.0, and one 7.3. Then again, I have also seen smokers from every other make of oil field truck. Every brand has it's problems. And yes the 6.0 has it share of problems, but the majority, from what I have learned, are caused by those trying to boost horsepower by way of chips. As I have read elsewhere on this forum about Keystone products, whenever someone has a gripe about something Keystone has sold them, it always comes out. Very rarely does anyone post something they are pleased about. I believe the same could also apply to other issues in life.

We also put over $2,000 into a used '06 CTD, while putting less than 20,000 miles on it ourselves. Would I buy another one? Yes I would, as I would another 6.0 PSD as long it was stock and well maintained. To me personally, the ideal truck would be an '04-'10 bodystyle Ford with the 7.3 PSD.
I agree with you in general...I should have specified that the fellow behind "Powerstrokehelp.com" seems to know what he's talking about and has several good videos on the general subject.

But you raise a good point...it's rare to see a YouTube video praising how good something works!
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #38
DJ85

It happens everytime. Someone tells someone that there truck is better and then it goes back and forth and guess what nobody remembers what the topic was or the question was even. I drive a 08 Ford 6.4l with slight mod work to helpthe motor survive. If someone thinks that a Dodge/Chevy's is better the puffy chest blows up and the fighting begins. They all have thier god points and bad points if we all bought the same thiing were would we be. Here is my reasoning for the whole thingand PLEASE DON't ANYBODY GET OFFENDED. When the auto industry got into trouble two of three needed and took bail out money from the gov. Ford did not and after working as a tech for Fotd for 20 yrs I know why Ford didn't need the bail out. They cut everything and everyone to the bone 12 yrs before the crash happened. Anyone that you know who works for Ford will tell you the hassle and pain in the rear to get anything covered under waaranty. I speak from the Ford side simply because thats all I have ever owned. If you like your Dodge thats great if you like your goverment motor that great. It's what makes the world go round.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #39
DJ85

A simple yet complex question was asked. Should someone buy a 6.0l Ford Truck. Oh if the answer was that simple. Yes the 6.0l has some big issues and if your looking for something that you can have with a budget. That answer as far as I am concern is a big NO. Now I will tell you if you can find a 6.0l with over 60000 on it and research the history of it and no major problems have shown then that changes the answer to maybe. I agree to leave the motor stock. But heres the problem with that. That engine was made to work and work it will it's very happy working it's tail off. This is where the problems begin. The number 1 rule. Don't idle this engine for extended times. 2. Keep the fuel system clean and water free. 3. Change the oil on a regular bases. 4. Keep the coolant ph level where it needs to be cavitation is a big issue. If I would buy a 6.0l the first thing I would do is install a coolant fiiter kit. replace the oil cooler with a new design aftermarket. and replace the head gaskets and install studs to replace the bolts. The motor needs to breath so intake and exhaust mods would be preformed. After that was done you have a 6.0l motor that will get the job done and do it will. Understand this is only my opinion and is and will be debated.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #40
Cougarfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ85 View Post
A simple yet complex question was asked. Should someone buy a 6.0l Ford Truck. Oh if the answer was that simple. Yes the 6.0l has some big issues and if your looking for something that you can have with a budget. That answer as far as I am concern is a big NO. Now I will tell you if you can find a 6.0l with over 60000 on it and research the history of it and no major problems have shown then that changes the answer to maybe. I agree to leave the motor stock. But heres the problem with that. That engine was made to work and work it will it's very happy working it's tail off. This is where the problems begin. The number 1 rule. Don't idle this engine for extended times. 2. Keep the fuel system clean and water free. 3. Change the oil on a regular bases. 4. Keep the coolant ph level where it needs to be cavitation is a big issue. If I would buy a 6.0l the first thing I would do is install a coolant fiiter kit. replace the oil cooler with a new design aftermarket. and replace the head gaskets and install studs to replace the bolts. The motor needs to breath so intake and exhaust mods would be preformed. After that was done you have a 6.0l motor that will get the job done and do it will. Understand this is only my opinion and is and will be debated.
I would say you nailed it.

I would add one thing to the list. The EGR valve is a problem too. You also want to keep it clean. If it breaks down, it either puts oil into the coolant, or vise versa. Some would recommend installing and egr delete kit.

When our truck needed the oil cooler replaced, the owner of the local Bulletproofing sales/installation shop did the work personally. I asked him about the egr delete, and he said that since this engine has only 84k miles and that it was so clean, he wouldn't recommend it until after the truck reaches the 125k mile point. If engine not so well maintained, then probably sooner.

I imagine that since all I saw his shop doing was working on Powerstrokes, and from him being recommended to me, he knows something about the 6.0. He made it clear to me that the head studs are most often okay, unless the engine is chipped. The studs stretch under the extra pressure. Yes, they were a poor design, but he wouldn't tear into a engine just to replace them if there wasn't a coolant leak or other problem.

I will definetly look into a coolant filter kit. That could really pay-off some day. At this point, though, the truck is still under an extended service contract, and I am concerned that by modifying the intake, I could void the warranty. I can remember it saying something to the effect that modifications will do that, but maybe someone else here would have a better feel for that.

2005 F-250 PSD 4X4 SWB
2012 Cougar 328QBS
B&W Companion hitch