Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Outbackmel

Towmaster question

Looks like luck was not in my favor. I posted, and that night, the forum changed and trashed my issue. Let's try again. This one is not rocket science.

I have low mileage, Towmaster tires, and about a month ago, I barely touched a curb at under 5mph and DID NOT hit the rim. As a result, I have developed a very slow leak and it's frustrating to say the least. The rig has aluminum wheels.

Question: anyone have experience putting tubes into the tire casing? What is your experience. Also, Do I need to haul this rig from my site. all set up, and tow it to an RV center to have this done? I have no experience in jacking this type of vehicle. Would not want to potentially damage the RV by trial and error jacking and blocking.

36ft, 2011, Outback fifth wheel, triple slide.

All comments are appreciated.

Moderator's Note : Outbackmel ---You have a similar post in the Repairs and Maintenance section that was posted yesterday and it was still there when I last checked. Is that the one you are referring to? Leave this post here but you might want to check to see if the one that was "trashed" is still here. Thanks.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
therink

Hi
I have the same rig. Jacking the trailer is not hard. I use wood blocks and two bottle jacks placed on frame just fore and aft of the axles (one side at a time). I hitch up to the truck and set emergency brake as added stability measure.
I don't recommend using a tube on a tubeless tire. Just take your time and jack a little at a time. Becareful not to place wooden block on any propane plumbing that may be mounted to the frame member.
I would strongly recommend you consider replacing the Towmax tires if they are over 3 yrs old with a better quality tire. I replaced mine this past summer with Maxxi E's and will say they are a much higher quality tire. I compared both unmounted tires side by side and noticed how much lighter, flimsy and thin the Towmax were compared to the Maxxi's. Also, if you have the opportunity, have the tires balanced. It will help prolong the life of the tires and reduce vibration.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Outbackmel

Smile Towmaster

Tnx for tip on jack and blocking. Tires are only 1 year old so I plan on using them up.
I am still looking for RV tube/tubeless experience. Not looking to re mount my never used spare unless I have to. I have the big Harley with spoke rims. Just replaced front and rear and tubes are always placed inside a wire laced wheel even though Dunlops are tubeless. After 6 sets of tires, no issue. BUT, zero RV experience to draw from.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
KenBob

If it were me, I would have the leaking tire/wheel checked for the exact location of the leak. May have picked up an object and rubbing the curb may be coincidental. Or it could be the start of something else.

I may think about using a tube in an emergency situation, but not all the time.

This may help:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tires/ti104.htm
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote