Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
witekjm

Smoke detector beeps when there is no smoke

We were camping a couple of weeks ago and turned on our furnace to get rid of the cold. After a few minutes, the smoke detector started beeping. There wasn't any smoke in the RV! The same thing happened when my wife lit the stove and after a few minutes the smoke detector started beeping, same thing, no smoke in the RV.

Sounds like a defective smoke detector. We have had this RV since last September. Are these special RV smoke detectors or can I buy one at Home Depot? RV dealer is 30 miles away, Camping World is 60 miles, and Home Depot is 5 minutes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, JW
Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Save time, save gas, and save $$$$$. Go to Home Depot and get one there. The one in your unit isn't especially made for RV's.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
Jim W

Do these smoke alarms have a battery back-up like your house unit have? I know my older 5er did, I am not sure on my 2010 318SAB, have not looked at the smoke alarm yet.
When the battery goes bad these will beep, I know the house ones do at least.
I always check all of my alarms for battery back-ups when I winterize the camper. As I will remove all batteries out of the camper alarms do to freezing temps.
JIM
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Any smoke alarm will work fine as long as it is battery only. Some home units are 110v with battery back-up. A nice feature to have is a front loading battery so you don't have to remove from ceiling to change battery.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Firecapt

Smoke detectors are misnamed. They are actually "products of combustion detectors." As such, they will often sound when placed near a gas heater or gas stove even though you can't see any smoke. Many units have an internal adjustment that allows you to set the threshold for activation.

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
witekjm

Smoke detector beeps when there is no smoke

Many thanks for the replies. I'll look for one at Home Depot. I'll also check for one with an adjustable threshold since Keystone mounted it above our stove and above furnace register. Our detector is battery only, no shore power hookup. JW