Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
witekjm

Smile Stabilization on Keystone Passports

All you Keystone enthusiasts,
I mentioned stabilization in another thread, but this is general feeler for all Keystone Passport owners; What do you use to stabilize these lightweight trailers? Thanks, JW
Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
4x4given

Well, we don't have a Passport, but we do have a 2010 Keystone Sprinter 318FLS. It's a double slide, 32' TT.

We stabilize with 4 wheel chocks, the electric units on each end, plus 2 screw top jack stands under the outboard ends of each slide rail. IT's been fine for us. I do have 4 more screw top jack stands that I can put under the frame rails, which if I did, I would put them evenly spaced as shown below.

The red X’s are the slide screw jacks
The blue bars are the factory electric stabilizers
The green X’s are the optional screw jacks (which we haven’t needed to use

4x4given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
Flyguy

I just use the manual jacks that my Passport came with and chock the wheels, works fine for me.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
witekjm

Smile Stabilization on Keystone Passports

All, thanks for your replies. We have the Keystone power package that has the electric stabilizers.

4x4given, The diagram is nice. Our rig is smaller, I like the placement for the jacks.

Flyguy, I'm assuming you're using the new Linx Levelers orange chocks with the cutout for levelers. If you are, how many do you use?

We have been using the old yellow chocks left over from our popup. JW
Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Flyguy

I use the cheap yellow chocks that Wal-Mart sells and my manual crank down scissor jacks at the corners.
Timbrens
Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
witekjm

Red face Stabilization on Keystone Passports

Another question along this thread,
Has anyone used the X chocks or BAL X chocks that CampingWorld or other vendors sell? Do they work as advertised? Thanks, JW
Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Flyguy

Those X chocks work very well, however they will not work on the Passport series because of the "spread axle" design, the axles are too far apart for them to work as designed, maybe BAL will make one for that axle design.
Timbrens
Old 02-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
witekjm

Stabilization on Keystone Passports

Thanks, Flyguy. JW
Old 02-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Flyguy

There is something in the way of wheel chocks that you can do with the spread axle design, go to my homepage and open the folder on "Wheel Chocks" and there you will see a homebrew design that will work, just cut the spreaders to the appropriate length (for homepage access click on "Flyguy" in the upper left of this post and follow the menu choices).
Timbrens
Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
goingnorth

This is what I used, just added 9" of threaded rod with a coupler nut and some jam nuts to the chock. I made the type with wood blocks and pipe clamp for my old tt but for the width of this design the wood would be very heavy.

I also changed my scissor jacks to 30" and added Ultra fabs stabilizers, trailer is rock solid. The axle is flipped to give better ground clearence and I hate carring lots of wood blocks so I went with the longer jacks, got them online for $90 tot. delivered.
My Mods.
goingnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
Flyguy

Nice use of pictures "goingnorth" and some good suggestions too!
Timbrens
Old 02-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #12
Miller88310

Power Package

We took delivery of our 2010 195RB Passport last spring, and love the power package that came with it. You have to love push button stabilizer and tongue jacks!!! We also use the lynx pads from Walmart with no problems. I have made a lot of modifications that I will get photos online soon.

We used our Passport all summer and a lot this winter as NM doesn't have very cold winters. Haven't had any problems with it at all. Hope you enjoy your new Passport.
Reese 16K Hitch
EU2000 Honda Generator
EU2000 Companion Honda Generator
Miller88310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #13
Flyguy

One of the most useful mods that I did was to install 12v outlets at the wheelwells (both sides), this allows me to use a 12v impact wrench and a 12v air pump to service my tires at roadside (I also have a 12v electric jack). I ran a length of wire loom from the battery box front to back under the trailer and encased #8 wire (black and white fused to 30a) in it as seen below:

Then using a hole punch I cut a hole to accept the outlet device, the following is a series of pictures showing the results:

I have been happy with the results.
Timbrens
Old 02-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
witekjm

Smile Ultra Fabs

Goingnorth,
How much did the Ultra Fabs run you? Did the dealer put them on? We are looking at the JT Strongarm stabilization system. We hear Ultra Fabs and JT are pretty good systems.

Also, I noticed that you have a 4" bumper hitch. How is that working out? I have the 4" square bumper that is welded on. I'm thinking of doing the same since I have two bikes to carry. The dealer told us that the bumper wasn't strong enough to support receiver-related equipment. Thanks, JW
Old 02-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
Dutch & Di

The Plug It Right Stabilizers are $279.95 including shipping. Same principal just another version.
Dutch & Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #16
soundman
Permanent User Ban

X chocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by witekjm View Post
Another question along this thread,
Has anyone used the X chocks or BAL X chocks that CampingWorld or other vendors sell? Do they work as advertised? Thanks, JW
If the BAL X chocks will work on your rig, they are the best product I have purchased for my TH it doesn't move at all.

Hope this helps
soundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman View Post
If the BAL X chocks will work on your rig, they are the best product I have purchased for my TH it doesn't move at all.

Hope this helps
I don't believe they will work on the Passport line of TT's because they have the spread axle design. The axles are too far apart.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
goingnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by witekjm View Post
Goingnorth,
How much did the Ultra Fabs run you? Did the dealer put them on? We are looking at the JT Strongarm stabilization system. We hear Ultra Fabs and JT are pretty good systems.

Also, I noticed that you have a 4" bumper hitch. How is that working out? I have the 4" square bumper that is welded on. I'm thinking of doing the same since I have two bikes to carry. The dealer told us that the bumper wasn't strong enough to support receiver-related equipment. Thanks, JW
I paid $300 at camping world for mine, no one else had them at the time, then 6 weeks later they dropped the price to $250, not sure what it is now. I first installed them on my Jayco toyhauler for a year or so and then took them off when I sold it and put them on my passport allong with 30"scissor jacks. I have my tt in a barn so I can work on it year round.

I will turn on the heater and put in a movie for the kids and do whatever work I need doing.

I welded my own hitch up and it bolts to the bumper and the back of the frame, I also bolted 3' angle iron from frame to hitch to form a triangle. I don't have real good pics of what I did and I still have more to do back there.

In the fall when I hunt I take off the bike rack and put on a hitchhauler with an aluminum cargo box filled with scrap lumber and other stuff, weighs in at 300# bumper looks solid with someone jumping on it with it full. Time will tell.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner missed this thread the last couple times I visited.

I have some pics at my mods page, click my mods at bottom.
My Mods.
goingnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #19
witekjm

Stabilization on Keystone

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try FlyGuy's chock block solution. I made a pair just yesterday and going to try them out next week. JW
Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #20
Bulldog80

My last trailer was a passport 300bh, which was awesome by the way, but at the risk of sounding too simplistic here I just used plastic wheel chocks and the standard stabilizers that came on it. The aluminum structure on those things are very stiff and easy to get stable.

Sprinter 301RMP
2007 Dodge- CUMMINS Powered
Bulldog80 is offline   Reply With Quote