Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Mindy Rice

HELP!! We had a leak...should we cut the "tarp" material underneath the camper??

When de-winterizing our 07' Keystone Hornet 27DBS yesterday, we filled the freshwater tank and then turned the water pump on. The outside shower line broke and flooded the subfloor under the bathtub. We didn't even notice it had broke until water was leaking out the bottom of the camper, from outside. The leak itself was an easy fix, just a new hose. Then we opened the hole under the bath tub and soaked up as much water as possible and ran fans. Our concern is that the "tarp" like material underneath the camper seems to be holding water. Should we cut that and let the water drain or will it dry out?

Thanks you!!
Mindy Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If by "tarp-like" you are referring to the 1/4" black coroplast (plastic) underbelly that is still holding water, I would :
a) cut several small holes (flaps) over the area and let any standing water drain out, or,
b) remove some of the screws and let portions of it hang loose until all of the water has drained away.

If you cut small holes (flaps) in the coroplast, they can be left as is which will prevent any further water from accumulating. You won't do any "damage" to the underbelly if the holes you cut are reasonably small enough to let the standing water escape. Find some good quality sticky tape to tape the flaps shut when you are sure it is thoroughly dried out.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
SteveC7010

My Cougar came from the factory with several flaps cut in the coroplast, each about 1 ft x 1 ft. They cut 3 sides of a rectangle to finish construction of the trailer and then closed up the flaps with HVAC tape.

I pull the HVAC tape off and replaced it with Gorilla Tape and I don't expect any problems with it.

If you cut a flap, be sure to clean it well before taping it back in place. If it is dirty when you apply the tape, the adhesion will be somewhere between poor and not at all.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
rjsurfer

I too have used the flap cutout method to gain access through the Coroplast, just make sure the "hinge" side of the cutout faces the front of the camper.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Hansel

Wish mine had come with some access to the under carriage, I've got to track down a bad ground wire for my tanks because none of the tank level lights are working on my control panel. What are you guys using to cut the plastic material with?? And what size would be too large??? I like the hinge idea and then use some slidng bolts to help keep it closed.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

You shouldn't need any bolts to hold the coroplast flaps in place. The coroplast is only 1/4' thick and made of corrugated plastic. You can hold the flaps in place with a good quality, very sticky tape or you can use plastic ties to keep the flap closed. A sharp box cutter would work to cut the material.
If you don't want to cut access holes, you can always remove the sheet metal screws that hold the coroplast underbelly in place. If you use this method, remove enough screws so that you can lower the coroplast and do your search. Once you have found what you are looking for, remove more screws which will allow you to have a large access.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Hansel

I was under mine today and the LP gas lines right under the edge of where the coroplast is screwed into the bottom, so too remove some of the screws it looks like I will need to loosen the LP gas lines, which is something I'm not feeling comfortable with. I don't mind taking on projects but gas lines are not none of them, Thanks for the idea's
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
SteveC7010

For everyone, if at all possible, try to get an eyeball on the area behind the coroplast that you want to cut by dropping a couple of screws where ever you can get at them. There may be wires and/or hoses laying on the coroplast. You don't want to cut them with your utility knife when you open up a flap or other cut. If you can see them, you can probably get a broom handle or similar in there and lift them off the coroplast before you start.

Even then, set the blade of the utility knife so that it only protrudes enough to make the cut.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
Mindy Rice

Thanks so much for all your responses! You have helped to calm our nerves a bit, I think we are doing all we can to dry it out right now. My husband did cut a few holes and is even reversing a wet vac to blow air on it.

Thanks again! This is a great forum.
Mindy Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak