Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
walker1

brakes on cougar x lite

Hi
Own a 2011 cougar xlite sab27. Love the fiver and have a question.
Manual is generic and only helps depending on model.

Do you people adjust the brakes or do they self adjust????? I read the section and am still confused.

I know they say the brakes are to be adjusted after 300 miles, 3000 etc. to be reseated????
It brakes great and my truck has the built in intergrated controller ( 2010 max tow f150).
have about 15,000 km on it towing and it tows and brakes wonderful. very impressed and I keep the weight at 8000 loaded.

If I am to adjust I would like to do so for this upcoming season.

Thanks
Rob
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
SteveC7010

If your trailer has drum brakes, they most likely need adjusting on a regular basis.

I do mine every year when I repack the wheel bearings. Depending on mileage that may be more than once per season.

You didn't say if you have Al-Ko, Dexter, or Lippert axles and hubs. Go to the manufacturer's website and download the complete service manual for your axles. Full info on adjusting the brakes is in the manual.

Short version, drum brakes on TT's are the old style with star wheels for adjustment. You have to crawl under the trailer, pop the plastic cover off the backside of the hub, and adjust the star wheel with a brake tool. It's right out of the 1950's.

If they haven't been inspected and lubed during the repack of the bearings, the adjuster may not be very cooperative. There are specific places in the brake mechanism that do need a bit of lubrication.

It's all in the manual.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
walker1

Thanks Steve
They are dexter and I read the manual that was given. It talks about model specific and I guess this is where I am confused............not sure what mine is????

They are the old drum style and have the plug inside to remove for adjusting.
I guess I will buy a star wheel tool and jack up each side of the fiver and adjust in spring to be safe.

Is repacking the bearing an easy one?
Thanks again
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Thanks Steve
They are dexter and I read the manual that was given. It talks about model specific and I guess this is where I am confused............not sure what mine is????

They are the old drum style and have the plug inside to remove for adjusting.
I guess I will buy a star wheel tool and jack up each side of the fiver and adjust in spring to be safe.

Is repacking the bearing an easy one?
Thanks again
If you bought the trailer new, there should be a build sheet that lists the axles by weight. Once you know that, Dexter's service manual is on their site and you pick the one you need by the weight rating of the axles. There's only a couple of choices for our size trailers so you can not go too far wrong.

Repacking the bearings is in the service manual, and there are a number of good "how-to" threads on the topic on RV.NET, sunlineclub.com, etc. RV brakes, hubs, and axles are all the same, regardless of trailer brand. (There are some different types of axles, hubs, and brakes, however.) Repacking is messy so buy some disposable mechanics nitrile gloves. There are even cross reference charts for the various manufacturers bearings, seals, etc.

If you can find someone local who knows about these things to just sit with you when you do the first one, you would really be all set. If you can't, just follow the instructions in the manual, and you'll still be OK.

The first wheel is the toughest. The next two are very straight-forward, and the fourth one is easy.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
jsmith948

Packing Bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
If you bought the trailer new, there should be a build sheet that lists the axles by weight. Once you know that, Dexter's service manual is on their site and you pick the one you need by the weight rating of the axles. There's only a couple of choices for our size trailers so you can not go too far wrong.

Repacking the bearings is in the service manual, and there are a number of good "how-to" threads on the topic on RV.NET, sunlineclub.com, etc. RV brakes, hubs, and axles are all the same, regardless of trailer brand. (There are some different types of axles, hubs, and brakes, however.) Repacking is messy so buy some disposable mechanics nitrile gloves. There are even cross reference charts for the various manufacturers bearings, seals, etc.

If you can find someone local who knows about these things to just sit with you when you do the first one, you would really be all set. If you can't, just follow the instructions in the manual, and you'll still be OK.

The first wheel is the toughest. The next two are very straight-forward, and the fourth one is easy.
Steve C7010,

Does your trailer have the "auto lube" hubs and you prefer to pack the bearings by hand?
I'm wondering if there is a downside to packing with the external grease fitting such as blown seals?
Also, what grease do you prefer to use?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote