Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2022, 04:15 PM   #1
pawpaw

25 RDS Summit TV won't scan channels.

Noticed it yesterday. TV has power but shows to run a scan. Runs through the channels and shows the number of RF found but no local channels. Checked all connections..plugs and shows no light on the rear box where the module for the Key TV is. Bad module or tuner inside the TV is my guess. Camper has the Winegard Air 360+ V2.s antenna. Furrion stereo is working OK and I'm guessing the antenna is working. Camper is hooked to a 50 amp pole and has a Southwire surge guard hooked to it. Still have workers re-doing the inside of my house from Hurricane Ida last year so its my hang out place sometimes. Never had a problem with scanning channels in any of our other campers.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
LHaven

It's more likely your KeyTV is failing than your TV is failing. KeyTV is problematic. If there is no light on the KeyTV box, that's a pretty good indication.

Got a set-top TV antenna? Hook it up. I bet your TV finds a few local stations.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:38 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

As stated, if the blue light on the KeyTV module isn’t lit, your not getting 12V to it. 12VDC is sent to the antenna through the coax to amplify the signal. If you take the module out you can test the leads to verify 12V to the module.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:22 PM   #4
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
It's more likely your KeyTV is failing than your TV is failing. KeyTV is problematic. If there is no light on the KeyTV box, that's a pretty good indication.

Got a set-top TV antenna? Hook it up. I bet your TV finds a few local stations.
I'll try that tomorrow...thanks for the tip!
Old 08-21-2022, 06:30 PM   #5
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As stated, if the blue light on the KeyTV module isn’t lit, your not getting 12V to it. 12VDC is sent to the antenna through the coax to amplify the signal. If you take the module out you can test the leads to verify 12V to the module.
Nope it's not lit. Looks like Key TV may be problematic. Camper is only 3 months old. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-21-2022, 06:31 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I can't really speak to your ultimate solution but I can say that with mine I had multiple issues; KeyTV would not work and had to have the module replaced. The Furrion TV would not "scan" antenna channels (or any other). They replaced and rewired the KeyTV module and cables and we replaced the Furrion with a Vizio smart tv that works.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:51 PM   #7
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I can't really speak to your ultimate solution but I can say that with mine I had multiple issues; KeyTV would not work and had to have the module replaced. The Furrion TV would not "scan" antenna channels (or any other). They replaced and rewired the KeyTV module and cables and we replaced the Furrion with a Vizio smart tv that works.
Sounds like the identical thing going on with mine. Only difference it's a Summit TV. This is our 3rd camper and never had any problems with the old school design! At least it played great for 3 months. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #8
pawpaw

Well..well..well after a severe thunderstorm rolled through this evening I went out to the backyard and checked on the camper. Ran a scan on the TV and it worked! A miracle!!!
Old 08-22-2022, 04:26 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Well..well..well after a severe thunderstorm rolled through this evening I went out to the backyard and checked on the camper. Ran a scan on the TV and it worked! A miracle!!!
Shocking! Simply shocking!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #10
LHaven

Still without a light on the KeyTV? Bizarre.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:56 PM   #11
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Still without a light on the KeyTV? Bizarre.
Nope..Blue light is on...part of the miracle!!
Old 08-22-2022, 04:59 PM   #12
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Shocking! Simply shocking!
Miracle #2 happened when my I-phone decided to pair with Bluetooth on the Furrion receiver. Lightning storm must have helped out this evening!
Old 08-25-2022, 04:03 PM   #13
pawpaw

Guess it was a short lived miracle. Key TV not working again..2 days it worked OK but crapped out today. Blue light not working either.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Guess it was a short lived miracle. Key TV not working again..2 days it worked OK but crapped out today. Blue light not working either.
Key TV has been an issue in the past. IIRC some reports were that after it was turned on for a period of time it would overheat and shut down.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #15
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Key TV has been an issue in the past. IIRC some reports were that after it was turned on for a period of time it would overheat and shut down.
It seems to me a lot of so called improvements benefit the factories more than the customer. Electronic modules have been a PITA over the years. I had a '77 LTD that had 2 modules go bad due to heat. Even had the power pack on my Evinrude outboard overheat and shut the engine down. Must be the grandkids of the 1970 and '80 builders putting them together in todays world!

See you're in Maryland...wifes sister lived in Frederick for over 30 yrs and we made many trips up there. Hauled a lot of seafood and other things from the New Orleans area they couldn't get up there. Nice area plus we would get to see snow around our Christmas visits.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:20 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
It seems to me a lot of so called improvements benefit the factories more than the customer. Electronic modules have been a PITA over the years. I had a '77 LTD that had 2 modules go bad due to heat. Even had the power pack on my Evinrude outboard overheat and shut the engine down. Must be the grandkids of the 1970 and '80 builders putting them together in todays world!

See you're in Maryland...wifes sister lived in Frederick for over 30 yrs and we made many trips up there. Hauled a lot of seafood and other things from the New Orleans area they couldn't get up there. Nice area plus we would get to see snow around our Christmas visits.
Yup, if the electronics can add some "gee whizz" effects that boost sales they'll slap it on. Fredrick is about 50 miles west from us but it's pretty out there near the Catoctin mountains but there sure aren't any shrimp this far north.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:21 AM   #17
Bob N

Same Trailer, Same TV...Same Problem!

I have the same model Cougar and my Summit TV is doing the same thing. Showing my ignorance here, but where is the Key TV module?
2022 Cougar 25RDS with
600i-L Package
Blue Ox Track Pro WDH
Bob N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 09:56 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
I have the same model Cougar and my Summit TV is doing the same thing. Showing my ignorance here, but where is the Key TV module?
Bob I watched 4 videos and walk through and the only thing I saw was in the following link at the 7:44 mark. My Key TV has an actual module vs the little connectors they show there and I believe any Key TV would have to have the module to differentiate signals. It's possibly right behind that exterior connector. Since they did it that way it could however be stuck anywhere.

Old 09-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #19
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
Open the box above the rear bumper. Remove the 4 screws and it's right behind the panel with the cable/satellite connectors. The blue light when its working is on the bottom left. Make sure the connections with cables are tight. You can also access this by removing the rear dinette cushions and thin plywood cover underneath. I tightened up everything and it worked one day. I may have to bring it into the dealer to have them check it out before they order a new module. Bought a cheap rabbit ear antenna and it works OK on the TV for local channels only. Don't think Key TV is as good as the old school version!!
Old 09-07-2022, 02:55 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Open the box above the rear bumper. Remove the 4 screws and it's right behind the panel with the cable/satellite connectors. The blue light when its working is on the bottom left. Make sure the connections with cables are tight. You can also access this by removing the rear dinette cushions and thin plywood cover underneath. I tightened up everything and it worked one day. I may have to bring it into the dealer to have them check it out before they order a new module. Bought a cheap rabbit ear antenna and it works OK on the TV for local channels only. Don't think Key TV is as good as the old school version!!

It's not as good as the old school version! While touting it as an "advancement" it was simply a way to reduce costs by eliminating coax for 2 separate systems and the labor time to install them. The Key TV modules have been problematic since being introduced.