Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2021, 05:15 AM   #1
Skippy38

Auxiliary A/C

Ok, it is REALLY hot this summer. I have 1 Dometic Brisk Air II 15k ducted unit but sometimes it has a hard time keeping the rig cool late in the day. Has anyone used a stand alone unit? My rig is already wired/breakered for a 2nd unit in front but I would kind of like a portable one. I guess the only issue would be where to run the exhaust port to. Any thoughts?
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:37 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most RV windows these days either open "like awnings" (tilt out from the hinged top) or have a "part of the window that opens that way. They aren't configured to install a free standing air conditioner vent hose/window adapter.

On our Cougar, the only windows that "open by sliding up" (like most house windows) are the windows on the side of the main slide.

Once you dig deeper into using a free standing A/C, you may find that the easiest place to vent it is out the end of the slide. Some A/C's come with a vent kit that will adjust small enough to fit those windows, some come with a kit that will "force you to make your own window fitting"....

While I'm sure it can be done, trying to seal an "awning window" to install the A/C vent kit may be more hassle than it's worth.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
rakearns1

Has anyone used one of the new small little A/C they are advertising on TV? They look like they are about 6" x 6" x 6". They look more like a humidifier to me.
rakearns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:02 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakearns1 View Post
Has anyone used one of the new small little A/C they are advertising on TV? They look like they are about 6" x 6" x 6". They look more like a humidifier to me.
I don't waste my money on "as seen on tv" gimmicks. Set a little battery operaten fan behind a bowl of ice, same thing. Logically if a little 6" cube zith batteries worked that cost $19.95 or whatever they wouldn't be setting a $1,000 unit on the roof that weights 100 + lbs. Those tv gimmicks are typically sold at a price point where the average person doesn’t feel like it's worth the hassel to return it. Some outfits make millions on that marketing model.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
Skippy38

Quote:
Yes I have one of these and am going to be making a youtube video on it. This thing sucks and I would much rather spend the $40 it costs on virtually ANYTHING. All it does is humidify the interior of your rig and cause more problems than it is worth. Save your money for more beer and ice, you will be much cooler lol
Old 08-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
jasin1

I thought I remember WiredGeorge saying he uses a aux ac unit for really hot days …maybe he will chime in
Old 08-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
rhagfo

So my questions are where do you put when using it, and where do you store it when not in use?
If you are already pre-wired, I would just install a second AC.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Skippy Wiredgeorge uses one as was mentioned so he will probably chime in, I believe he is very happy with it. My son bought a 5th wheel (used it for a couple of years) and stayed in it several months while moving. He had one that put out a LOT of cold air and vented out one of his side windows. Do not know the brand but it was fairly large and on wheels with a fairly long, flexible exhause hose so he could move it around. I have not had any personal experience with them other than that. His looked about like the one in this link;

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...ption=63202509
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

We have a 30A service in our camper and I toyed with the idea of sticking another roof mounted Brisk II in the vent in the bedroom but the roof really slopes in that area as we have a 28' fifth wheel. I bought a 14K BTU portable and have a space next to our door where once was a Keystone provided chair. We had taken the chair our some time ago anyway. I have a window in that sport that has a slide-up opening window and used the provided exhaust kit. I cut the panel they provided and mounted it on a piece of plywood that has the ends cut to match the curves on the window bottom and use a piece of foam self-stick on the top to seal. I painted the outside of the thing so it looks decent when installed in the window. I run a heavy duty cord from the 15A outlet on the campground power pedestal and plug in the A/C so as not to stress our breakers inside. I also have a 15A Marinco plug on the back that connects directly to our microwave so it doesn't stress our breaker panel because we could otherwise have issues when the microwave is used and the roof 15K BTU Brisk II is in use. I use an RVAirflow gizmo in our lower A/C section (in the Brisk II) that greatly increased airflow last time out when it was in the lower 90s and have very dark tinted windows and sealed up all the A/C vents so the air doesn't leak into the ceiling void and a piece that fits into our skylight to block sun as well as covered the door window with a foil type piece. We stay cooool in triple digits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	portableAC.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	35038   Click image for larger version

Name:	portAC2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	35039  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:06 AM   #10
Skippy38

Thanks WiredGeorge, that is exactly what I was looking for...
Old 08-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #11
hornet28

I'm not recommending it but you could do what an acquaintance did. He bought a portable for his motor home and cut a hole in the side of the living room slide.
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:36 PM   #12
LHaven

Quote:
What, those "best air conditioner in the world" clickbait ads? It's not even refrigeration. It's a swamp cooler. Unless the ambient humidity is under 60%, they won't work at all; and between 40-60%, you will have to leave a window open to let in hot, drier outdoor air because the unit itself raises your indoor humidity.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:36 AM   #13
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
What, those "best air conditioner in the world" clickbait ads? It's not even refrigeration. It's a swamp cooler. Unless the ambient humidity is under 60%, they won't work at all; and between 40-60%, you will have to leave a window open to let in hot, drier outdoor air because the unit itself raises your indoor humidity.
You are telling me. Wife wanted to try one, $40 at Home Depot. In Florida humidity is up around 90-95%. Stupid thing just threw out humid air and did not cool at all. Would be better to save the $40 and buy more beer and ice, would keep you cooler lol
Old 08-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #14
Kuimonster

If you have a standalone ac in a cg that only has 30amp hookups, you can connect the standalone ac to the 20a outlet and have both acs running though.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:36 AM   #15
notanlines

I hope by now that we would all know the very last thing needed inside any RV is high humidity!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #16
lindy46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuimonster View Post
If you have a standalone ac in a cg that only has 30amp hookups, you can connect the standalone ac to the 20a outlet and have both acs running though.
That is what we did - ran an extension to the 20 amp for the stand-alone a/c so we could run both. The only problem with the stand -alone is they really generate a lot of condensation. We had ours going into a gallon milk jug and it will fill that up in less than 2 hours. I toyed with the idea of drilling a hole in the floor to drain to the outside but decided against that idea. Just keep an eye on the jug so it doesn't overflow.
lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy46 View Post
That is what we did - ran an extension to the 20 amp for the stand-alone a/c so we could run both. The only problem with the stand -alone is they really generate a lot of condensation. We had ours going into a gallon milk jug and it will fill that up in less than 2 hours. I toyed with the idea of drilling a hole in the floor to drain to the outside but decided against that idea. Just keep an eye on the jug so it doesn't overflow.
You might consider a FW tank drain valve, installed on an outer wall near the floor. Just don't put it on a slide end wall as it wouldn't clear the trailer frame on extension/retraction of the slide. You could drill a 1/2" hole, mount and properly seal the drain valve, connect it with clear vinyl hose during A/C use and then when the A/C is not being used, simply close the valve outside to "seal the opening".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	35151  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:49 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Most newer "roll around" a/c units blow the condensate out the window with the exhaust air. They typically will have a hose connection but in most cases aren't necessary.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #19
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
We have a 30A service in our camper and I toyed with the idea of sticking another roof mounted Brisk II in the vent in the bedroom but the roof really slopes in that area as we have a 28' fifth wheel. I bought a 14K BTU portable and have a space next to our door where once was a Keystone provided chair. We had taken the chair our some time ago anyway. I have a window in that sport that has a slide-up opening window and used the provided exhaust kit. I cut the panel they provided and mounted it on a piece of plywood that has the ends cut to match the curves on the window bottom and use a piece of foam self-stick on the top to seal. I painted the outside of the thing so it looks decent when installed in the window. I run a heavy duty cord from the 15A outlet on the campground power pedestal and plug in the A/C so as not to stress our breakers inside. I also have a 15A Marinco plug on the back that connects directly to our microwave so it doesn't stress our breaker panel because we could otherwise have issues when the microwave is used and the roof 15K BTU Brisk II is in use. I use an RVAirflow gizmo in our lower A/C section (in the Brisk II) that greatly increased airflow last time out when it was in the lower 90s and have very dark tinted windows and sealed up all the A/C vents so the air doesn't leak into the ceiling void and a piece that fits into our skylight to block sun as well as covered the door window with a foil type piece. We stay cooool in triple digits.
This is exactly what I did but vented out the same kind of window on the side of my large slide out. Fits right in the corner perfectly. Mine also vents moisture/humidity out the vent so I rarely have condensation in the drip pan unless it is extremely humid. It puts out lots of cold air (12k btu)and really helps cool down the RV quickly. In the cooler months, under 90 degrees, I take it out and use it to cool my shop. Its on wheels so easy to move it and take it out. Bought mine used off Craigs list under $250. Sure beats $1000 for a new rooftop unit. I use a 30 amp pig tail with my extension cord as sometimes I have found some 20 amp pedestal plugs not working. One way or another, I have power. It’s quiet and turn it down at night once the rig is cold enough to hang meat.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #20
BikerRN1

Turbro

I have the Turbro 10k in the garage of my toyhauler. (When bikes are out, it's used as a den). I used the window pieces at an angle in my pop out window and vent the condensation tube there as well. It serves as ac and dehumidifier and keeps the camper cooler in hot humid conditions.
BikerRN1 is offline   Reply With Quote