Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
gwilkrrs

Brake question

So went out this weekend-
Heading out I felt the trailer brakes “grab” but then release while I was still holding down the peddle- I used the slider on the trucks brake box so I could see the display- it flashed on then disappeared-
Loose wire? I pulled the junction box apart on the neck for the truck plug and checked wires- they seemed tight. I will now take all the nuts apart and check them for good solid connections-

My question is do you think it’s loose wire or could it be in the brakes itself? Older brakes seemed ok on a visual but……. Most times on the trip I didn’t feel ba rakes at all and sometimes I felt a grab but immediate release
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Pull the break away pin and try to pull the trailer. Good brakes means the problem is either 7 way wiring or in your truck.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:30 AM   #3
gwilkrrs

thanks-
didnt even think about that

last time out with the blowout it tore the wires from the front axle pass side from the drum. i spliced them back together- checked while jacked up and brake engaged. pulled all drums and greased bearings and put all back together-
then this issue this trip-
Old 07-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #4
gwilkrrs

so i got to thinking- brakes worked-
tire blow out-
3 brakes work (1 not because wires pulled apart from drum backing plate
spliced these wires back together and now brakes not working but "activating"

pulled slack out of axle tube on a whim and i think i located the issue. inside the tube both wires were nicked pretty bad from being pulled during the blow out. looks like these were shorting against each other and the axle tube.
i staggered the splices so the wires would fit back inside the tube.

i activated my brake controler and it fired the brakes consistantly as before it fired them then turned off.......
Old 07-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Good deal!! I’ve only seen a couple of times when the wires failed inside the axle tube.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote