Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #1
wroseblock

Electrical issue

I plugged into a power source in an RV park and my out side surge protector popped and I fried several things inside. I now have power but my almost new battery is not getting charged because there is no power coming into the inverter. Any ideas?
wroseblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wroseblock View Post
I plugged into a power source in an RV park and my out side surge protector popped and I fried several things inside. I now have power but my almost new battery is not getting charged because there is no power coming into the inverter. Any ideas?
Some more info like make, model, year of trailer? Is the camper 30 amp or 50 amp? Is the power source amperage the same as the trailer? What brand/model surge protector? What "fried" inside and how fid you test them? And lastly, what have tested or tried to do since this happened?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

You mean your converter. What all did you “fry” when you plugged in?

Kind of late now but an EMS not a surge protector would have prevented anything from happening, was there an issue with the campground wiring?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
wroseblock

Electrical issue

Thanks for your replys. I had a technician do the repair. The converter was fried. The cause was a loose wire in my rv power cable.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Now that it’s fixed, get rid of that “surge protector”, and get a true EMS.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:30 AM   #6
wroseblock

It wasn't the surge suppressor, it was in my cord I guess if I had an EMS I would not fried anything.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

In real life the circumstances encountered will very seldom be helped by a "surge protector" leaving an RV owner wide open to experiences like yours. An EMS will prevent those situations and protect you and your equipment as mine has done for me along with many others. I would suggest a new EMS be in your immediate future.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:21 AM   #8
Ribtip

Quote:
Thanks for your replys. I had a technician do the repair. The converter was fried. The cause was a loose wire in my rv power cable.
What end of the power cable was bad. And how was it loose. Are you talking about the cable f4om rv to box or a cable inside your rv.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:04 AM   #9
wroseblock

It was the end that plugs into the power box. I had replaced the plug 2 years ago.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #10
GilaElkHunter

I have a brand new still in the box Progressive Industries PT50X EMS for sale.
PM me if interested.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #11
rlh1957

Surge Protectors and EMS names are misused interchangeably but are not the same.
Not sure what type OP was talking about.

SURGE PROTECTORS are NO good protecting your RV. Use one but only blame yourself when something gets damaged or blown.

EMS will protect from surges, voltage drops, over voltage, low voltage, lightning, reverse wired campsites, etc.
Expensive? You tell yourself?
An EMS is cheaper than any one thing in your RV that could be damaged without one.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #12
Mikelff

Quote:
It was the end that plugs into the power box. I had replaced the plug 2 years ago.
An EMS at the post, nor surge protector would not guard against a bad plug wire as they guard against incoming current at the post. They likely would have let current through as they typically would not detect shorts in your cable plug. As others have said, forget the surge protector. They are almost worthless. You need a true EMS. They do checks for issues BEFORE they let any current through to your rv. There are two types, plug in at the post, and on board. An on board EMS probably would have protected against that short.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #13
Augie

Preferred Brand

You guys have a recommended brand of EMS? Just looking at one from Progressive Industries.

Thanks!
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #14
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
You guys have a recommended brand of EMS? Just looking at one from Progressive Industries.

Thanks!
South wire or Progressive. Southwire had better reviews when I bought mine. Progressive has a sale going on so you might check that out on line. Spend the money and buy a good one. It will pay for itself with the protection they offer. The Southwire has a 10 second delay once you flip the breakers on the post checking for issues before it lets current through. I believe Progressive is similar.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #15
Augie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
South wire or Progressive. Southwire had better reviews when I bought mine. Progressive has a sale going on so you might check that out on line. Spend the money and buy a good one. It will pay for itself with the protection they offer. The Southwire has a 10 second delay once you flip the breakers on the post checking for issues before it lets current through. I believe Progressive is similar.
Thank you!
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #16
Rdynbama

Just wondering from those have EMS . Hardwired or Portable. Do you prefer one over the other? I currently have a surge protector but that’s all and know I should get the EMS
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #17
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
Just wondering from those have EMS . Hardwired or Portable. Do you prefer one over the other? I currently have a surge protector but that’s all and know I should get the EMS
Mine is a portable, plug in at the post. Hard wired protects at the rv, so if your power cords and main rv plug has an issue, you should be protected. You can also see from inside your rig your power use from the display. So a lot is personal preference.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
The Southwire has a 10 second delay once you flip the breakers on the post checking for issues before it lets current through. I believe Progressive is similar.
Progressive has a jumper that lets you choose short or long delay. The long delay is for air conditioners that don't provide their own restart delay on power failure to keep from blowing the compressor. Dometic tells me mine is one of those, so long delay for me.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #19
BigBobIa

Mine is inside after the transfer switch so protects generator issues too.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:32 PM   #20
chuckt2

We had a problem although not exactly like yours, but where we store our TT an electrician crossed 220v to our breaker that provides power to keep the battery charged in the TT. It fried all of the 110v appliances in the TT and also fried the inverter. No power to charge the battery or run the 12v items in the TT. Once the inverter was replaced all the 12v returned to normal. We had to replace all of the 110v appliances which included the microwave. It was a disaster, but all is well now. Good Luck!
chuckt2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical