Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
legger99

Passport roof edge sealant

Hello all I was looking over my Passport 221BH and noticed a piece of the weatherstripping was missing, but also a screw that needs covered.

My question is what is this black putty like stuff used on the corner?

I don't think it's Dicor for vertical walls, but could be wrong!

The weatherstripping was there when I left the dealer, but must of came off during the trip home which was in bad rain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210510_190552386_HDR.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	33488  
2021 Passport SL 221BH - sold
legger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:30 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Might be something like this:
https://www.campingworld.com/dicor-l...5&gclsrc=3p.ds
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Probably "non-leveling" (for vertical surfaces) https://www.campingworld.com/dicor-n...ck-115803.html

Also in your photo, that's not a piece of missing trim, rather there is a "vinyl screw cover" strip that has shrunk (they all do that) and pulled away from the end. You might be able to use pliers and pull it back to the correct length, or you may find it easier to spend the $5 and buy a roll of "vinyl screw cover trim" and pull what's there off the trailer and replace it. https://www.campingworld.com/jr-prod...im-622984.html

Try to replace the entire "run from front to rear" rather than piece it together. Where you butt two strips will leak and allow water under the vinyl trim.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:29 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Yep, looks like that insert "shrunk". On the 2nd trip with the current trlr. (about 6 mos. old) the insert just popped out of the track and was just flopping in the wind....on I20, on the outskirts of Monroe, LA, no shoulder, folks flying by double stacked and apparently 80 was mandatory. Got sidetracked....

Something like this is what you're looking for looks like;

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-1...s%2C199&sr=8-9
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
legger99

Thanks!
I have used the self leveling stuff before but never the other variant, so I wasn't sure what the texture was like.

How do I know if I need the 1" trim as I see there is 7/8 available too. I guess I will get the ladder out. I just don't know if that stuff measures 1" or the channel does.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

My trim in the exact same spot shrunk. I used black Dicor no-sag to cover it after I pulled it back into place
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by legger99 View Post
Thanks!
I have used the self leveling stuff before but never the other variant, so I wasn't sure what the texture was like.

How do I know if I need the 1" trim as I see there is 7/8 available too. I guess I will get the ladder out. I just don't know if that stuff measures 1" or the channel does.
Order the 1". It will fit both the 7/8 and the 1" trim molding. If you use the 1" in the 7/8" aluminum, it will just "sit slightly higher. From the ground, you can't tell the difference and most people, on a ladder, 6" from it won't know it's not the right size.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-11-2021, 05:09 PM   #8
legger99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Order the 1". It will fit both the 7/8 and the 1" trim molding. If you use the 1" in the 7/8" aluminum, it will just "sit slightly higher. From the ground, you can't tell the difference and most people, on a ladder, 6" from it won't know it's not the right size.
I pulled the end out of the trim and flat it measured 1". I then tried to pull it back and got about halfway there. Going to order a roll of the trim insert and will end up replacing it on a new camper Hopefully this is the only issue I have! I swear that area was fine when I left there too.

Dealership is 80 miles 1 way away so cheaper for me to fix it. Also going to get some black non-leveling dicor.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-11-2021, 06:26 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I pulled the end out of the trim and flat it measured 1". I then tried to pull it back and got about halfway there. Going to order a roll of the trim insert and will end up replacing it on a new camper Hopefully this is the only issue I have! I swear that area was fine when I left there too.

Dealership is 80 miles 1 way away so cheaper for me to fix it. Also going to get some black non-leveling dicor.

Thanks everyone!
The screw insert trim ALWAYS shrinks as it sits in the sun "getting hot then cooling". As it cools, it shrinks.. Think of it as "cheap cotton clothing bought "barely large enough when unwashed". Put that clothing in a hot washer, then dry it in a hot dryer and see if it still fits "just perfectly"...

Take a look at any trailer and you'll find one of two conditions:

1. The vinyl trim is pulling away from the ends of the molding
2. The vinyl trim is anchored in place at the ends with a screw to prevent it from pulling away from the ends....
3. There is no other "conditional status" of month old vinyl trim....

To prevent you from a "most discouraging experience" don't expect that this is the only issue you'll have.... The "fun and games" have only just begun, young padawan.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #10
legger99

Quote:
To prevent you from a "most discouraging experience" don't expect that this is the only issue you'll have.... The "fun and games" have only just begun, young padawan.....
Like I said I am hoping this is the worst. This is our 3rd camper, 1st was new, 2nd was used and now another new one. The first 2 both had minor issues.

We are hoping this is the "right size" that will fit us well as it's in the middle of the other 2 (1st was an Apex Nano 193BHS).

I even bought the Apex from a place you might know of in Gaylord!
Old 05-12-2021, 05:44 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

I even bought the Apex from a place you might know of in Gaylord!
You probably mean the place I won't open the front door, even to buy a tube of sealant..... Lots of "bitter customers". Enough, even, to have spurred another RV company to open a store just north of main street.... Even then, the dealer in Onaway says he sells more trailers to people in Gaylord than to locals....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #12
legger99

Quote:
You probably mean the place I won't open the front door, even to buy a tube of sealant.....
I might have gotten mine at the good one then. As it's north of main and seen from the highway and references Northern Michigan in the name. I guess should be Northern Lower Michigan?

I had a good experience, and would have bought there again, but I found the used Cougar that I shouldn't have probably bought as it was a little big for my Tundra and sites we like to go too!

At least we are leaving Lehto's out of this! - I still think of that thread every time I go by there and it looked closed when I did end of March, hoping it was just a seasonal thing.

I did order the dicor and vinyl insert should be here next week!
Old 05-12-2021, 09:31 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like you are going to replace that insert which is good IMO. I've had them shrink and then stretched them back and put a screw in them. Seems, depending on age, that once the insert has shrunk it ALL shrinks. Then when you stretch it the vinyl becomes "thinner" making it barely hold inside the little trim rails and it comes out pretty easily. Also if there is a curve to the inside it makes the insert prone to pulling out of the curve without putting something on it to keep it there.

With the new insert just pull the old out then make sure you check all the screws holding the trim rail in place; they like to back out. When you replace the insert let it hold its shape....don't stretch it then secure it at each end with a screw.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Letho's opened a new shop in St Ignace, down by the ferry landing. They still sell pasties at the US2 location, but close during the winter and just work out of the "city store"... They were open last week on US2, but we didn't stop, still have 8 or 10 in the freezer left to cook before we have to make an "emergency run"....

As for the RV dealer, I thought you were talking about the one about 8 miles south of Gaylord. I guess we've been here long enough that the one actually in Gaylord that opened about 7n or 8 years ago, we consider "the new place"... LOL But the one south of town, I absolutely refuse to go into. Every time I do, either they won't stop to look up a part, tell me, "just leave your information and we'll call you when we get time to find a price" or they say, "Sorry, we don't carry that any longer".... WHAT??? You don't carry Dometic or Care Free or Norcold ???? So, that's one business that COVID should have claimed (I know, I know) <rant over> LOL

As for installing the replacement vinyl insert, Danny is right. If you pull it (so it slips into the aluminum easier, it won't pull back for a couple of days, and when it does, it'll look just like the photo in the first post..... I think (can't prove it) that a few workers on the assembly line "figured out the easy way to install the trim"... And, it's not until it gets to the dealership that it's shrunk down and there's a gap. The dealers pull it tight, slap some DICOR on it to hold it in place and it's not for about a month after that (when the buyer gets it home and decides to wash it) that the DICOR loses its grip and the gap returns.... Just like yours LOL That photo has all the "features" of being stretched, dealer doing a "fix" and buyer finding a "gap"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #15
legger99

I wasn't aware of Lehto's dual locations. I don't get into downtown St. Ignace much.

Yeah I had no issues with the "new" dealership in Gaylord, and they were the only one who had the camper I bought from them in stock. They still think I own it as they call and ask me how it is

Back on topic. I plan to put the insert in the trim and leave about 6 inches extra on each end and let it sit through a "cold cycle". Next cut the ends flush and put some more Dicor over the ends. I don't plan to put a screw through it, but I did notice some on the vertical pieces on the back entry door.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I wasn't aware of Lehto's dual locations. I don't get into downtown St. Ignace much.

Yeah I had no issues with the "new" dealership in Gaylord, and they were the only one who had the camper I bought from them in stock. They still think I own it as they call and ask me how it is

Back on topic. I plan to put the insert in the trim and leave about 6 inches extra on each end and let it sit through a "cold cycle". Next cut the ends flush and put some more Dicor over the ends. I don't plan to put a screw through it, but I did notice some on the vertical pieces on the back entry door.

I would put screws through it. Dicor won't hold it when it decides to just shrivel back. My MHC has retainers with screws through them which seem to do a good job. I tried various descriptors but could not google what they were. I am attaching a pic. They might hopefully prevent a recurrence in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210513_124124[1].jpg
Views:	126
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	33542  
Old 05-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #17
legger99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I would put screws through it. Dicor won't hold it when it decides to just shrivel back. My MHC has retainers with screws through them which seem to do a good job. I tried various descriptors but could not google what they were. I am attaching a pic. They might hopefully prevent a recurrence in the future.
I believe these are what you or I am looking for: https://amazon.com/Camper-Trailer-Al...dp/B01MZGBHIB/

Frequently bought with the vinyl insert.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

And that's them!!
Old 05-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Yep that's them... When you get to the end of the vinyl insert, cut it about 1" longer than needed, trim the edges so it will slip back "under itself in the aluminum molding and put an end cap over it. Make sure you put some DICOR under the end cap so the screw won't "wick water" into the trailer side.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #20
Moosedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yep, looks like that insert "shrunk". On the 2nd trip with the current trlr. (about 6 mos. old) the insert just popped out of the track and was just flopping in the wind....on I20, on the outskirts of Monroe, LA, no shoulder, folks flying by double stacked and apparently 80 was mandatory. Got sidetracked....

Something like this is what you're looking for looks like;

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-1...s%2C199&sr=8-9
Thanks for this Sourdough.. I was waxing my unit yesterday and noticed that vinyl trim was split in a few spots. I’ll be buying a roll and doing a replacement 👍👍
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport, roof