Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2019, 04:28 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

The good, the bad and the ugly

GOOD:

BAD:

UGLY:
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
John&Genny

Interesting videos. I’ve heard of some major problems with the new Silverado’s concerning the fuel systems, but our 2008 Duramax has been a real workhorse with no major problems since we bought it, with around 160,000 miles on it now. It’s really sad that just a minor change in a few systems in a new truck can basically ruin it’s reputation. Hopefully someone at GMC will take notice of the bad reviews.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
Jeremy888

Ford all the way. 2001 F250 7.3 liter power stroke, 6 speed, with heavy duty tow package( 1 ton springs) , 38 gallon fuel tank , 8ft bed, king cab, manual windows , no carpet from factory. Added later B&W turn over ball for goose neck / companion 5th wheel hitch towing . Ordered this truck from the factory in Nov. 2000. Cost about 18 K before extras about 23,000 including Tax and Lic. This truck has been a real dependable work horse. Horses, hay, hunting ,5th wheels you name it , towing in snow and mud . Have had to put new ball joints in due to lots of 4 wheeling .Original ball joints could not be greased, replacements can. There are 7.3's running around with a million miles on them. Of course they have all had new injectors . Original injectors can last up to 400k if properly maintained. I put in Lucas Injector cleaner once a month minimum , change fuel filter every 10k especially in dirty dusty usage , also air cleaner . One thing most people and shops do not do is to make sure the HPOP ,(High Pressure Oul Pump) reservoir is drained during oil changes . You can change your oil and the oil in the HPOP is still black and dirty as coal because it did not drain. I pump it out ,( about a quart) refill it , run the truck , pump it out again ,( still black because of old oil still in system ), refill again, and repeat until the oil is clean enough to see thru . This is important because the injectors are run by oil pressure that is what the HPOP does . Wastes about 8 to 13$ worth of oil but it is worth it compared to doing injectors . Wal-Mart sells its Super Tech brand 15-40 oil for about 13 bucks for 5 quarts , It is actually Quaker State oil . So I buy 4 jugs or 20 gallons (52 $) 16 quarts for the engine and up to 4 quarts for the HPOP. Wth the 10$ oil filter the oil change costs about 65$ with tax . I'm not bad mouthing Chevy or Dodge, they make good trucks too.. I have owned the following Ford's , 1931Model A pickup , 1959 half ton (292) , 1997 F150 and this F-250..Here's a pic of my 31.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191102-065454.png
Views:	123
Size:	647.9 KB
ID:	24247  
Jeremy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
ChuckS

All trucks have their issues... I’ll keep running my stock GMC LBZ Duramax six speed ... bought new in 2006... 2007 classic model... not one issue

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
jsb5717

Yeah, the old 7.3's are nearly bullet proof. I had a 2000 F250 for 13 years and sold it with 213K miles on it. You kind of have to rebuild the truck piece by piece over time but the motor is rock solid. Shock, ball joints, ujoints, power steering pump, steering knuckle, cam shaft sensor, etc all needed to be replaced. Tranny at 200K. But a good running workhorse no doubt.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
linux3

Anyone who takes any advice from Consumer Reports for anything much more complex than a flat screen TV.....
It's easy to search the web for examples of CR bias.
Toyota is the best truck? Have you driven one? Have you looked at the fuel mileage?
Did you know Toyota is paying to replace whole frames on trucks because they are rusting out?
I have a 2017 Silverado with 50k miles and nothing wrong.
One of CR's down checks was because the seats were uncomfortable. That is so subjective it shouldn't even be a line item. I love my Chevy seats. Maybe I have a more firm butt than CR testers but how can you rate anything on seat comfort?
https://www.allpar.com/cr.html
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:43 PM   #7
Jeremy888

My brother has a 3/4 ton Jimmy , Diesel , It's an automatic tranny but still a great truck . I found that other Fords 7.3's automatic trannies that have done as much towing as I have, have gone thru 2 or 3 transmissions.. Standard trannie is always better for towing in the hills . My brother loves his Jimmy as much as I love my Ford... But also a Dodge Ram with a Cummins is an awesome truck. Buy USA made products. It supports and keeps America strong ... ChuckS did you have to order the 6 speed or did you find it on the lot?... Seems to me thst Standard trannies are getting hard to find . When I ordered mine there was not one standard trannie on a lot in western Washington ...
Old 11-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy888 View Post
My brother has a 3/4 ton Jimmy , Diesel , It's an automatic tranny but still a great truck . I found that other Fords 7.3's automatic trannies that have done as much towing as I have, have gone thru 2 or 3 transmissions.. Standard trannie is always better for towing in the hills . My brother loves his Jimmy as much as I love my Ford... But also a Dodge Ram with a Cummins is an awesome truck. Buy USA made products. It supports and keeps America strong ... ChuckS did you have to order the 6 speed or did you find it on the lot?... Seems to me thst Standard trannies are getting hard to find . When I ordered mine there was not one standard trannie on a lot in western Washington ...
I've had 2 Duramax/Allison trucks totalling just over 300k between the 2 (approximately 200k towing heavy 5th wheels) & I wouldn't swap either for a standard transmission on any brand of truck.
The '13' had the exhaust brake & with the tow haul engaged, cruise control set going downhill never had to touch the brake unless it was an extremely steep grade.
For 30+ years I worked in the oil/gas industry & for reasons I wasn't prevy the company only leased Ford's (assume it was price), I had 3 Chevy's in all those years that all out performed, better fuel mileage & less maintenance cost as per companies vehicle spread sheet than Ford.
Most of the contract guys also used Ford's (assume due to cheap price also). Then the Toyota Tundra came out, all the contract guys had to have one only to find out that the fuel mileage sucked worse than the Ford's & they just didn't hold up well on oilfield lease roads. Most kept them a year +/- before trading off.
And NO not a Ford fan!! With all those years of poor handling & crappy seats I didn't need to own one.
Just my .02 cents! YMMV!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #9
Jeremy888

Travelin Texans , I have no problem with Chevy trucks, I have always had and preferred standard transmission trucks and autos , learned to drive on a 56 chevy at 9 years old with 3 on the tree, an old willys jeep and tractors galore on the ranch/feedlot. One thing I don't like about standard ...we actually live in the boondocks of western Washington State almost to Canada but we have been wintering in San Diego ...The traffic down here sucks like LA and Seattle's ..An automatic is much easier in stop and go traffic jams towing a 5er. When I bought the 59 half ton in 1982 down here in So . Cal. ( also 3 on the tree ) While driving it back up to Washington the Ford radio commercial said " there are more Ford trucks on the road than any other brand ." So I started counting pickups on the freeway and indeed there were more Ford's than all the other brands combined including the small Japanese rigs. Seems you Chevy drivers hate Ford's, but no matter ...like I said I'm good with any American made truck...Buy American. My dad liked Chevy trucks ,he had a 62. Once while a young cowboy while doctoring calves in the mud and manure ,I dismounted my horse on the concrete slab that was next to the feed manger to tail over the roped calf. The ground was poop soup and you could not tell where the slab ended . With out thinking I ran to the calf and as soon as the slab stopped I went down in the $..t and fell backwards .The only part of my body not covered in manure was The tip of my nose..lol My dad made me ride home in the back of that 62 Chevy . Those were the days .
Old 11-03-2019, 05:33 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I don't think you can fairly compare a leased vehicle to a privately owned. Leased vehicles are typically driven harder and treated with less care by the operators as "they didn't pay for it". Comparing the interior comforts of a fleet VS private vehicles is apples and oranges as well for typical fleet or service vehicles have stiffer seats designed to wear longer.
. Fleet managers run a constant and detailed accounting cost analysis of all expenditures including fuel milage, replacement costs, repair costs, etc.
Bottom line in MHO on the "Big Three" is they all have issues. Some issues are not found until a few years later and results in "damaging" a brand. The 6.4 IH diesel Ford put in my truck is a prime example. When Ford bought Northstar engines the 6.0 had head bolt issues. Three years later on 6.4 that was corrected as were a few other issues. Now the nay bashers will talk about pistons failing, high pressure pump failures ext. If you talk to diesel mechanics you'll hear a story of people buying the trucks and driving and treating them like a gas truck. Starting a diesel and driving off at high speed before warming the engine, heat soak in the turbo at high turbo speed and immediately shutting it down, and poor maintenance are but a few of the "self induced" issues.
I'm not defending my truck, I don't have to as it's worked fine for me. But then again, I don't drive it like a drag racer or "Baja 500" contestant. I do or have done the required maintenance at the recommended intervals with the PROPER fluids, filters and parts, not "cheap" off brand oils & filters etc. It's worked for me for 180K miles and 9 years. Maybe I got lucky? Maybe I just treat my vehicles "reasonably" and maintain them properly.
I have no loyalty to any "brand". After all I'm paying them not the other way around. I also take CR or MT articles with a huge amount of skepticism and Youtube I typically ignore. Youtube is great if you want to see some idiot dressed in a gilly and claim it's bigfoot, or pictures of JFK alive and well out shopping. Personally I think there are more reliable sources out there if you look "beyond the noise".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:02 AM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Oh brother. And standard time just started. It's going to be a long winter.......

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #12
jsmith948

After watching the news and reading about climate change/global warming/rise in sea levels, and then watching the Ford electric F-150 video, I have to wonder:

How much payload will an all-electric 1 ton pick-up truck have after allowing for the weight of the battery? Will I still be able to pull my Laredo? I wonder how many miles to the kilowatt it will get?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
After watching the news and reading about climate change/global warming/rise in sea levels, and then watching the Ford electric F-150 video, I have to wonder:

How much payload will an all-electric 1 ton pick-up truck have after allowing for the weight of the battery? Will I still be able to pull my Laredo? I wonder how many miles to the kilowatt it will get?
Or: Where will the plugs be located on each recharge windmill? How far apart will they be, across Kansas and eastern Colorado? And, how long of an extension cord will I need to plug my truck/trailer rig into the windmill recharger????? Oh, will I have to back out of the recharge station or will they be arranged like a truck stop rather than a "corner gas station" ????

The "global warming" just dumped almost a foot of snow on us in the past 3 days, so......... And no wind to drive the windmill rechargers either..... Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
Anyone who takes any advice from Consumer Reports for anything much more complex than a flat screen TV.....
It's easy to search the web for examples of CR bias.
Toyota is the best truck? Have you driven one? Have you looked at the fuel mileage?
Did you know Toyota is paying to replace whole frames on trucks because they are rusting out?

https://www.allpar.com/cr.html
Yep, was walking through a Toyota dealer shop to look at a used RAM and saw a completely dismantled truck with a new frame above it (body was gone). I saw it and said "Tacoma getting a new frame?", as I knew about the Tacoma mass frame rusting issues. Sales guy says "nope, Tundra". I said I didn't know they were involved in that, and he said "yep, they were also in the rusting frame recall".

CR is a GREAT source for reviews of vacuum cleaners, dishwashers, washing machines, TVs, and the like. It is an extremely poor choice for reviewing cars.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Or: Where will the plugs be located on each recharge windmill? How far apart will they be, across Kansas and eastern Colorado? And, how long of an extension cord will I need to plug my truck/trailer rig into the windmill recharger????? Oh, will I have to back out of the recharge station or will they be arranged like a truck stop rather than a "corner gas station" ????

The "global warming" just dumped almost a foot of snow on us in the past 3 days, so......... And no wind to drive the windmill rechargers either..... Hmmmmm
I can see that "all electric" being driven thru the desert SW. A 7.5 kw generator in the bed with two 55 gal drums of fuel and a LARGE electric cord draped over the bed.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I can see that "all electric" being driven thru the desert SW. A 7.5 kw generator in the bed with two 55 gal drums of fuel and a LARGE electric cord draped over the bed.
Yup, about the same as what I thought.... Replace a 8200 pound truck that has a 26 gallon diesel tank with a 9600 pound truck (batteries are heavy), a diesel generator to keep the batteries charged and a 30 gallon fuel tank to supply the generator fuel... Total weight 12000 pounds with a 200 mile range... Looks to me that's a marked improvement over the 350 mile range of the "conventionally powered 8200 pound truck".... Yessir, buddy, gotta keep pace with economy and environmental improvements......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yup, about the same as what I thought.... Replace a 8200 pound truck that has a 26 gallon diesel tank with a 9600 pound truck (batteries are heavy), a diesel generator to keep the batteries charged and a 30 gallon fuel tank to supply the generator fuel... Total weight 12000 pounds with a 200 mile range... Looks to me that's a marked improvement over the 350 mile range of the "conventionally powered 8200 pound truck".... Yessir, buddy, gotta keep pace with economy and environmental improvements......
But hay, it's "green" right, because we all know that power generating plants don't pollute.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #18
gearhead

I try to buy American but, I'm driving a Mexican/American, with an Italian in-law. Now, I hear I'm getting a French step Dad. Sacre Blieu.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Maybe they're going to improve the wind turbine so that they can be used for a continuously charging vehicle. Just picture it; your truck with mini turbines, maybe 50' tall, mounted on the front bumper and in the bed, with 25' props, that would just keep the batteries charged as you drove. Now THAT would be so "green" and would make as much sense as the rest of those theories make. Just imagine the garage....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:17 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Maybe they're going to improve the wind turbine so that they can be used for a continuously charging vehicle. Just picture it; your truck with mini turbines, maybe 50' tall, mounted on the front bumper and in the bed, with 25' props, that would just keep the batteries charged as you drove. Now THAT would be so "green" and would make as much sense as the rest of those theories make. Just imagine the garage....
That would be a site to see.... Imagine gearhead (Brent) navigating the live oak trees going into the campground he's in tonight with a rig like you describe !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS