Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
idahoruss

Winterization questions

I just picked up my new 2011 Springdale 241. The dealer walked me through the systems, but when it came time to look for water drains, water heater bypass and winterization items, I was told to come back and spend about 20 minutes and they would do the first winterization free and show me what to do. I would still like to know how to find the water pump and water heater bypass. Can anyone tell me where to look? There is not an outside door to these areas like I am familiar with.

thanks, Russ

2011 Springdale 241
2007 Chev 1/2 ton with Max Tow option
2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700
idahoruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Your HW bypass should be located immediately behind (or in front of - depending on which way you look) your HW heater. You will probably have to remove an interior panel near the floor - to gain access to the back of the HW heater/tank. There should be a valve there that you would turn to isolate water from going into the HW tank.
I am not familiar enough with the layout of your model with respect to the water pump but it should be near your kitchen sink. Again, you might look for a removable panel near the floor.

Perhaps some Springdale owners can give you better directions on their locations.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
cumminsdad08

mine is directly behind the heater, removable panel with two screws, yeah the goofy kind. i like mine because it is really easy to get to, i don't have to crawl in thru the kitchen sink, or thru some storage space. so be creative and search all around. it don't hurt to take some panels off anyhow and see what is where, for when you have a problem on the road.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
SteveC7010

I found the easiest way to locate the water pump in a unit is to turn it on and search with your ears. It is likely behind a panel and probably mounted to a floor.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
idahoruss

One more try

These are good suggestions, thanks.
I have located my water pump behind a panel under the vanity sink. My water heater is under the rear kitchen cabinet area and I do not see a panel or drawer to remove to get access to the bypass valve. My dealer was going to winterize it free this next month and show me the process, but THEY BURNED DOWN Monday night!! I do not know when they will be back in business. So, does anyone with a 2011 Springdale 241 know for sure where the water heater bypass valve is located? How do you get to it?

Thanks, Russ

2011 Springdale 241
Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Russ,

RV manufacturers know that we have to winterize our units and part of that is the WH bypass. In years past, the bypass was an option or added by the owner as a mod so it wasn't always easy to get to the back of the WH. Usually it took some modification of a cabinet or wall. These days, the bypass is pretty standard. So the manufacturers invariably give you a way to reach the back of the WH.

In one TT, the heater was located in a corner of the trailer near the master bed. The owner looked and looked and looked and could not find an access of any kind. Someone finally suggested that he look under the mattress. Lo and behold, there was a great big hole in the mattress platform right above the WH. All he had to do was reach in about 8" and flip the valve.

My point here is that there is a high probability that there is an access of some kind to your heater's bypass valve. It may be on the other side of a wall or cabinet. It might be above it. You may have to pull a drawer. Some are behind a removable panel held in place with a couple of screws.

My WH is below a kitchen cabinet behind a panel that is not removable. But if I open the cabinet to the right and look to the left in the back, the whole WH is sitting there totally open and accessible.

If you could post some pics, it might make it easier for us to point you in the right direction.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

If you can't locate your WH bypass valve after a thorough search, what about trying to contact your dealer and ask them? I realize this may not be easy in view of what happened to the dealership but worth a try.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
idahoruss

I found a panel inside a cabinet under the oven that can be removed and the bypass and other water lines are there.

Thanks for your help and advise.

Russ J.

2011 Springdale 241
Old 10-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
OffWeGo

Thumbs up

This thread is very helpful. Thank you!
OffWeGo is offline   Reply With Quote