Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
albertr

Greasing spring hangers

I can't get any grease in my spring hangers. Seems like fittings are plugged. What is the secret? Thanks....Al.
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Ron

grease

If the hangers haven't been greases for awhile, try and take the pressure off the pins by jacking up the trailer so there is no pressure against the pins. If that doesn't work, you might have to be pull the pin out to the point that the grease hole is showing, then you can force grease into the pin and the old grease/dirt will come out. Hope this helps. Happy campin...........Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
albertr

Question greasing spring hangers

Problem I have is that the fittings are behind the tires and no room to get the grease gun on. Take off the wheels to grease. Must be an easier way.
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertr View Post
Problem I have is that the fittings are behind the tires and no room to get the grease gun on. Take off the wheels to grease. Must be an easier way.
If you do take the wheels off ... replace the grease fittings with 90° fittings and you should not have to remove the wheels in the future. You may even be able to replace them with the wheels in place.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
geo

Or get an angled grease gun adapter, or an angled zerts.

The grease zerts are right behind my tires also, but there is just enough room to use a straight grease gun to connect . . . barely.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
hankaye

Howdy All;

Z E R K the word is Z E R K! With a K .

If ya get one that's clogged you can drop it in a small (Cap), of alcohol. It will break down the dried up grease.
The tip of a scribe can be used to push the ball into the fitting and re-flex the spring that holds it in place. You can also use the scribe to dig some of the blockage outta the screw end.

I ain't cheap ... but spending a gal. or 2 of diesel to get a $0.25 zerk fitting dosen't add up....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
If the hangers haven't been greases for awhile, try and take the pressure off the pins by jacking up the trailer so there is no pressure against the pins. If that doesn't work, you might have to be pull the pin out to the point that the grease hole is showing, then you can force grease into the pin and the old grease/dirt will come out. Hope this helps. Happy campin...........Ron
x2. seldom do Zerk fitting plug, more likely the grease has hardened inside the bolt. First take pressure off the bolt ends so grease can exit easier through the bushing. If that doesn't work, go to a good auto parts store (NAPA etc.) and buy a Zerk Zapper, to get a solvent (Marvel Mystery oil, Kerosene etc.) inside the bolt and soften the grease so you can free up the exit hole. then use a grease gun to clean out the old crud and get new grease inside. The bolts seem to all have only one very small exit hole for getting grease into the bushing. If that ONE hole is plugged, SOL. I wish they had at least two exit holes into the bushing from the bolt to minimize clogging.

Also, when I installed mine, I put the end with the Zerk fitting on the insde of the trailer, not the outside. Much easier to grease, no interference with tires/wheels.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post

Also, when I installed mine, I put the end with the Zerk fitting on the inside of the trailer, not the outside. Much easier to grease, no interference with tires/wheels.

I did this on mine also but the holes in the spring hangers were drilled so the knurled end of the bolt went on the outside. Thus those four fittings are behind the wheels. Using 90° Zerks allows me to grease without removing wheels. (But I usually remove them to pack bearings and inspect brakes anyway)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote