Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
anthonbloom

De-Frosted Glass

It could only happen to me....OK so I was in transit from Newfoundland, Canada towing my Cougar 2012 SAB 315 headed for Florida at the end of January 2016. I was towing the trailer fully winterized until I hit some warmer temperatures but Nature was not co-operating and I still had OAT of only 7 deg C in the day, Georgia was covered in snow still and the nights were frosty. Finally, as I start to climb into the hills we hit a temperature inversion and the windshield steamed up outside, the outside mirrors steamed over and the temperature jumped about 15 degrees. When I checked inside the trailer later, it was really wet with condensation and...the frosting on the cabinet door glass had turned white and rubbed off with a finger wipe. I had wiped holes in the bedroom door and a couple of cabinets before I was told to stop by the Trail Boss. The next day it had hardened again but most of the frosting on the cabinets had turned white and my clear spots were still there. Of course the glass is all hot glued to the cabinet doors, so taking the glass out to repair it is not an option. I did purchase some frosting spray, but it is uniform and flat, not crackled like the original.
What did Keystone use to treat the glass originally..and WHY? The finish is hard now and I am trying to figure a way to repair it for a future owner, because I will live with it for now. Any ideas?
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't know what Keystone uses to frost the glass, but I have removed LOTS of mirrors and glass from doors that was glued in. It will peel off, and then just use a hot glue gun to put it back in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:15 AM   #3
anthonbloom

That's a start

Thanks for that tip. I will try it once I have a solution to the frosting problem.
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote