Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
rescuerob1

PDI Rip-off??

Ok guys, I'm a Newbie and I've searched the forum and read all the stories about pre-delivery inspections...and downloaded the checklists (thanks) BUT....here's my question: Does the dealer HAVE to provide me a PDI? They started out saying it costs $1200, then a few days later said they could provide it for $250. Sounds like a complete rip-off to me. I emailed Keystone's Customer Service and so far no reply (its the weekend). I'm definately not going to pay for something that should come free....and I do understand it needs special attention, what do you guys think? Oh, BTW, we're getting a new 2010 31BHSWE from Fife WA.
Thanks
rescuerob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
cpaulsen

Ours came free.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
rjsurfer

If a dealer is going to charge you you for a walk-thru PDI I'd walk right out of that dealer.

My dealer had a tech go through my camper with me as I followed a list I had printed out. Plus the tech actually tested stuff I had not written down, such as testing all the speakers inside, bedroom and outside.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
HigginsPod

Pdi

Ours was free from CW. Also, there was a second when I insisted that DH bring it back because it sounded like a bear was behind us. I have had great service from CW when they have listened. Had one issue that took a few months to fix but that too was fixed. We will take the Pod to CW next month for a just ready to go out of warrenty inspection (their idea) We will probably have to pay a bit ................ but I think it is well worth it.
2010 Chevy HD Silverado
HigginsPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
Ruffus

Thumbs down Rip Off

The walk thorugh inspection or PDI should be provided for free unless you hire an inspector like a home inspection or boat inspection. The dealer should go through the whole unit and systems operation with you at delivery and it should be "FREE", if not, then walk away. They are not the only dealer around.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Flyguy

The dealer probably isn't legally responsible to do a walk through with you but they all do just to cover themselves in case you screw something up out of ignorance of the situation and then they can say "we showed you all the systems and how to use them". This should definitely be free of charge and I know that I wouldn't pay for this. I also don't pay for dealer prep. I feel that this is the dealer's obligation to get the RV ready for sale. If he doesn’t include it as part of the purchase price then I look somewhere else to buy. You have a right to inspect the trailer before you buy it, if they don't want to watch or participate that's their business but I'll do the inspection by myself without their participation if necessary, and I will confront them with things that are wrong and need correcting before I buy it.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
JReinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
The dealer probably isn't legally responsible to do a walk through with you but they all do just to cover themselves in case you screw something up out of ignorance of the situation and then they can say "we showed you all the systems and how to use them". This should definitely be free of charge and I know that I wouldn't pay for this. I also don't pay for dealer prep. I feel that this is the dealer's obligation to get the RV ready for sale. If he doesn’t include it as part of the purchase price then I look somewhere else to buy. You have a right to inspect the trailer before you buy it, if they don't want to watch or participate that's their business but I'll do the inspection by myself without their participation if necessary, and I will confront them with things that are wrong and need correcting before I buy it.
Actually, the PDI is a requirement. From what I was told after a dealer tried to sell me a FW last year without a PDI. If there is no PDI done, there is no manufacturers warranty provided.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
rescuerob1

Kinda what I was thinking

Except here's the deal..... this is the last of the 2010 model on the west coast and it's $10,000 below last years price. I'm buying from this dealer because this is the only trailer we want. He's got me over a barrel for sure, but hey, when the wife wants a certain layout...what can a guy do??!!
They also told me that if I didn't buy the PDI, they would have to "apply" for an exception from Keystone to validate my warranty... they made it seem like Keystone won't do any warranty work unless I fork over a grand to have some knuckle head stand around while I find all the defects in this new unit... I get more pissed every time I think about it. I hate getting ripped off.
rescuerob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
Paul Norwood

Smile

I totally disagree with what this dealer is telling you, I believe I would contact Keystone and ask if this is really true and if it is not I would run from this dealer and find another dealer. Just remember they are in the business of selling these products and they have to abide by the rules of the companies they represent and sometimes you will find a shady dealer who is actually just trying to make a little extra money for themselves.:
Paul Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Firecapt

I'm with Paul Norwood! The warning bells should be going off by now. I have never heard of a dealer charging someone for a PDI. I would feel that this is just the beginning, what next?

At this point, I wouldn't trust them to do the PDI whether I paid them or not. Something smells real rotten here!!

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:11 AM   #11
therink

Recently I had some Keystone warranty work done on my fiver. While talking with one of the techs, he showed ne an invoice for one if their Montanas on the lot. There was a line item credit on the invoice for a $1200 prep allowance. He told me that this allowance covers the pdi and all if the minor repairs that the dealer has to make for a unit to be sellable. Basically to repair and clean up all the stuff that the factory left unfinished, such as cabinet adjustments, loose trim, sawdust, cleaning, and pdi time. Your dealer is blowing smoke, that is unless you are offering him so little that he is not making $. I doubt that. I would walk. My two cents.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #12
cdevill

Ours as well was free when I picked the TT up at CW. After we picked it out we went up a week later and they had it all set up just like at a campsite, water tanks and LP full, slides out, all electronics on and we got a demo of everything from the power stabilizers, awning, slide, plumbing, auto LP switchover, lighting the stove,turning fridge on elec and gas, AC and furnace..... They even installed my WD bars and anti sway and said that THEY do that to make sure that it's done correctly. I even bought the hitch from somewhere else new but it was a Reese. It wasn't a dog/pnoy show either... I brought the slide in, worked the awning, put down the stabilizers and hooked the WD chains so I really knew for sure what to do.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #13
therink

x2 what cdeville said.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:11 AM   #14
mikell

My dealer was Holiman and they hooked up the unit so I could spend the night in it in a secure area on ther lot. I'm 5 hours away so it was great I had a list of minor things to take care of and it was delivered a few days later. They also did a training with a tech that took about 2 hours.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #15
Flyguy

Same thing here, I did a full PDI with the dealer and he set me and the DW up for the night with water and electric on his lot so we could use everything and check out the unit (again). I couldn't be any happier with the dealership and we're talking about a used unit not a new one!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #16
antiqfreq

When we bought our fifth wheel, it was a year old, new and last one we could find in Florida.
We paid about $10,000 less than any other deal I could make at that time for
the newer model out there.
We got a PDI - never thought about them charging us for it - but if they tried to pull that I would have walked away.
That is not in their interest and why do business with someone like that. Do they deserve your business? How will they be if you DO have to bring it in??
Just my 2 cents worth!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #17
vjm1639

I have never heard of buying a new RV without a PDI! Every dealer I've ever bought from over the years has always done them....For FREE!
vjm1639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
jq1031

Here is my discovery! Purchased our 2011 Laredo TT from Lazydays RV outside of Tampa, FL., with the understanding that I will pick it up in Goshen, Indiana. As Keystone does not do factory deliveries, Lazydays paid a dealer in Goshen to do the delivery & prep.
I was not aware of the built in charge for that service & quite surprised to learn of it. Now the good news!!!! Lazydays paid the Goshen guy $250.00 ( and charged me) to do the prep & delivery & credited me $400.00 (there built in charge)! KNOW THAT'S A REPUTIBLE DEALER!! The $150.00 difference will be in my pocket upon delivery next month. ALSO, they matched (within a couple hundred dollars) all the internet dealers with all there promises & low ball prices.

If I have any service needs, I have Lazydays to go to not a internet provider.

Sorry for babbling, JOE
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #19
Seann
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuerob1 View Post
Ok guys, I'm a Newbie and I've searched the forum and read all the stories about pre-delivery inspections...and downloaded the checklists (thanks) BUT....here's my question: Does the dealer HAVE to provide me a PDI? They started out saying it costs $1200, then a few days later said they could provide it for $250. Sounds like a complete rip-off to me. I emailed Keystone's Customer Service and so far no reply (its the weekend). I'm definately not going to pay for something that should come free....and I do understand it needs special attention, what do you guys think? Oh, BTW, we're getting a new 2010 31BHSWE from Fife WA.
Thanks
Ask for your money back..... no way you should pay
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #20
Houndie Dog

Red flag

No legitimate dealer would make you pay for a PDI. This should be a warning to you as to what your service after the sale will be like.
Our PDI was done at our convienence, all of the systems were serviced and ready to be operated, and there was no pressure at all from the dealer for us to get done with the inspection. I did a 4 hour inspection before I did a walkthough with a tech. I had 2 pages of items (mostly small) that I had written down. The dealer gladly took my list and fixed everything on the list with a smile on thier faces. That is customer service.
Go with your gut instinct....Good luck.
By The Way, my dealer was Midwest RV in Saint Louis......Great service !!!!!!!
Hensly TS3 trailer-saver hitch
KVH TracVision R4SL
3 Basset Hounds "Lucy, Ethel, & Fred"
https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...vado/coach.jpg
Houndie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote