Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
alien_scones

Question Are DC converters adjustable?

Are DC converters adjustable?

I suspect the DC voltage is a little on the high side.

I don't have a multimeter yet.

I have started to swap out the incandescent lights with warm LEDs.

After replacing the lights, I noticed that the warm LEDs quickly turn into the colder bright blue-white 10K spectrum, and minutes after that they begin to diminish in brightness and emit smoke. The LED lights are uncharacteristically very hot to the touch, and in some cases cause the attached backing tape to melt.

Some of the fixtures look like the previous incandescent lamps burned a little on the hot side.

It's on all the fixtures so far that I've replaced.

Should I be planning on replacing the converter or is there a quick adjustment I can make? Or is a bad battery causing this?

This is for a Thor 2001 Citation bumper pull 26S.

Thanks
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Look carefully at which LED's you bought. Some LED's are rated at 12VDC. They are not compatible with voltages higher than that. Most (no, all) RV converter/chargers routinely charge batteries at 13.6 volts (higher than the rated LED voltage of 12 volts) Many of them will simply not function at higher voltage and like a fuse that carries too much current, they burn out.

"RV compatible" LED's should be rated at 12-24 volts. Most of them have a built in voltage regulator in the "chip" others have an "add on regulator" mounted on the assembly. Either way, the voltage is always "reduced" to 12VDC and the LED's are "happy"

You've probably got some "unhappy LED's" Check the specs on the website for the LED's you ordered. I'm pretty sure they will have an annotation that the input voltage is "12 Volts DC". Look for replacements that are listed as "input voltage 12-24 Volts DC"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote