Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
TMC10

New Owners Are We

Well, we bought ourselves a 2011 Outback Kargaroo today. Want to thank you for having the PDI on this website - sure made our initial walk thru easier. We will go for our final walk thru in about a week and then hand over our payment. We are really pleased with our dealer - Mayflower RV in Mayflower, AR. They were very responsive to our requests for the minor items we want repaired.

Would like feedback on anyone's thoughts re: extended warranties?? They are offering us 6 yrs (5 yrs after the factory warranty) for $1950 by Equi-pro. ($390/yr) Since we have never owned an RV before, would like to know what anyone thinks about this.
Extended War. includes Frame, Brakes, Suspension; Stove; Frig; Furnace/AC; Water Sys.; Waste Sys; Water Heater; LP Gas Sys.
TMC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

First, I am glad that you found the PDI useful. You appear to have done your homework and waiting for one more walk through before paying is a wise move. Having a helpful and responsive dealer always helps. All dealers are not the same!
Secondly, I am sure you will get varying opinions about extended warranties from our members. We have one but have yet to use it. If we don't make any claims in the warranty period, we will get a complete refund. There are different warranties available - some are better than others. You might want to shop around and not take the one that the dealership is trying to sell to you. I am sure you have read the fine print and what you think might be covered isn't always the case. Please take time to read the sections "What is NOT Covered".
For example, you mentioned brakes and suspension............. I would really recommended you look carerfully at these. I think you will find that, if your warranty is like most, there is very little you could claim with Brakes and/or Suspension. Ours has the same two but again, look at what it really covers!
There is always a deductible so you will have to put out some $$$$$ if you are going to make a claim. Sometimes, it is cheaper and easier to get the work done and pay for it or, better yet, do it yourself.
This brings up the question of how good are you at repairs? If you are handy and have the tools, etc., an extended warranty may not be the best. In addition, many of the appliances and other components have a 2 or 3 year manufacturer's warranty so you will have to decide is it worth the extra money to have it for 5 or 6 years?
We purchased our mainly for "peace of mind". As I mentioned earlier, we will get a refund IF don't make any claims but it is there just in case something major happens. I will either fix the problem myself or have someone else repair minor stuff so that I don't make claims for the little things.
Many will say it isn't worth it....I am probably in the minority but, what the heck, it won't be the first time!
Enjoy.
(If you want to ask any other questions about my warranty, send me a PM rather than carrying on a one-on-one conversation here.)