Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
trooper251

weight rating for rear rv bumper

I have a 2011 Keystone Passport 2850 RL and would like to place a bike rack on the rear bumper with a bolt on 2" receiver to haul a couple of bikes. My question is, does anyone now what the weight limit is for the rear bumper? I've studied the owner's manual but can't find this info.

THANKS,
TRP251

trooper251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
Flyguy

You won't find that kind of info on most TT's, you just have to rig something up by sizing up the situation and doing what's called "eyeball engineering", that's the way its always been explained to me.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
dblackmore

Couple of questions you have to consider first: How many bikes are you planning on putting on the rear bumper bike rack? Does the rear bumper already have a spare tire on it?

If it doesn't have a spare tire on the rear bumper then a bike rack with a single bike on it shouldn't be a problem. Anything more then one bike you will want a local metal/welder beef the area up before hanging more weight on it. If it already has a spare tire on it then you want to get the bumper welds beefed up before putting any bike rack on it. The rear end of the trailer does bounce around a lot and the bikes will want to buck around.

I had a 2006 Maxlite 23RS that had a spare tire already on the rear bumper. I added a bike rack to the bumper and hung 3 bikes on it, drove about 2 hours and pulled in to get gas and found the rear bumper had started to tear off the frame of the trailer at the welding points. After that trip I took it to a local metal/welder and they beefed it up to hold the extra weight of the bikes.
dblackmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
trooper251

Thanks for the replies. For the most part, it would just be my 8 yr old daughter's bike, a small bike, but at times there would be the addition of my wifes 26" bike and yes it has the spare tire mounted on the bumper. I guess I just need to crawl under it and give it a good look over and see where I need to beef it up. Thanks again.

TRP251

trooper251 is offline   Reply With Quote