Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #21
ralphank

antenna mx

I've cranked my antenna up, rotated in 90 degree's so when you lower it in this position it hangs over the side, makes it easy to work on . Crank it back up when the work is finished and stow properly.
ralphank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #22
ftwildernessguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I downloaded the FAQ from the Keystone web site and this is the official statement on walking on your roof:

Q-Can I walk on my rubber roof?
Yes, with a few exceptions as noted (Springdale, Cabana, and Outback). Our roofs utilize 3/8” plywood underlayment and are designed to be walked on. Please, always use caution when working on top of any RV.

I.

This seems to conflict with Keystone's video done in May 2009. They specifically say you can walk on the roof of the Outback, and show a guy doing just this.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #23
Bowline

Go for it!

It is absolutely essential to get up on that roof to check out the seals, apply UV protectant, and put on the ADCO cover. I had a ladder installed on my RV as soon as I bought it, and I have used it more times than I can count. I agree that the biggest danger is falling off. I am usually on all fours - that way my weight is distributed, and I have less chance going over the edge.
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
ftwildernessguy

A couple weeks ago I was on the roof installing Maxx Air vent covers. This weekend I'll be up there putting Eternabond on the end seals. I'm up there twice a year to clean it and put on the cover and take it off. If a dealer tells me I shouldn't be up there, I figure it is because they want to do the service and charge me for it. I've seen my RV tech. He easily weighs 100lbs more than me and I don't know how he would do any work at all on the roof without climbing on it. As far as the suggestion of placing plywood on the roof to distribute the weight, I would think there would be a greater chance of tearing the rubber material trying to lay a sheet of plywood up there.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #25
jambull

well I did install my wineguard wingman..I just lowered the antenna to the nearest side and climbed the ladder till I was eye view with it and installed the wingman ...no need to go up on the roof and must admit we now get 3 more stations from my driveway so yes it was a good time/money investment ...thanks to all who offered ideas and tips ..
Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #26
BigCajun

I'm a "Big Ole Boy" and I walk on my Raptor roof. It gives a lot more than my last camper. I just try to walk on the ribs which are clear to see. When installing my second a/c, I used a piece of plywood to help spread the weight. Make sure there are no splinters to rip your rubber roof!
I installed the wingman, it was a breeze, but I don't see a difference. I have read, however, that it should help when closer to major markets. I am usually in a rural area.
Also, I should add that the ladder is a piece of ****! The plastic holding the rungs on is a death trap. They broke when my 13 year old climbed up. And he is not a "big ole Boy"!
Old 09-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #27
Seann
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambull View Post
I want to install a new wingman to our wineguard antenna and was wondering if others have got onto their RV roofs without damaging the rooftop ...any suggestions ???
A couple of long narrow bits of plywood placed on the roof where you step will distribute your weight over a larger area
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 AM   #28
duh1

2910bh

We have ordered and will pick up a 2910bh in late Nov. and just walked through one yesterday, about the third time. No one around here had one to really look at. We did not see a whole lot of ac outlets for a mixer, blender, etc. in the kitchen area or did they place them someplace 'special' and we just missed them when we were looking?

We have a 2008 Silverdo with a 5.7L and are worried about the weight but are biting the bullet anyway. The fact you can pull and handle it with a Ranger is encouraging. Our mantra will be pack light but the spouse already has a fearsome pile of stuff that is going into it. Makes me a bit nervous.

Did you have any warranty work right out of the box? Any other recommendations would be appreciated, this is our first TT and it will all be new for sure.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:34 AM   #29
jambull

yes we tow the trailer with the ranger ,its a 4 liter with a 4.10 rear axle so it produces enough torque to move the 278RLS very easily, the trailer itself is like 5000 pounds and has a aerodynamic front end and a enclosed underbelly so am sure this helps as well ...we did have a few small issues,( a screen door would not close fully and was a bit stiff...< just adjusted the hinge to align it >...cupboard doors and drawer were a bit loose..<they inserted a longer screw to hold it tighter> very small things that the dealer took care of in a day ..we could have done things ourselves of course but its best if they do it in case they mar or scratch something they will replace it ..we get tons of complements on the trailer/ truck combo ..some people can' t believe we tow with a ranger even after we pull in with it ..lol...am sure you will enjoy yours,we added a few things to ours for convenience,and pleasure and am sure you will add some modifications as well ..as for your wife adding more weight to your trailer by bringing along lots of stuff my GF is the same and I cringe sometimes wondering if its getting to be excessive but we weed out the stuff that we don t use week to week and it keeps the weight in check
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #30
vipermn

I walked on the roof for the first time last weekend (put the cover on for the winter) and was not comfortable up there. If I missed one of the roof beams, it make a cracking sound. I am a big ol' boy too (235 lbs) and will avoid walking on the roof of my passport as much as possible.....

vipermn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #31
Festus2
Site Team

The next time you have to go up on your roof, you might want to try Seann's suggestion using a large piece of 1/4-3/8 in plywood. I like the cautions mentioned in a couple of the earlier posts about ensuring that the plywood edges are smooth (no splinters). You might try using a large rubberized mat to lay down underneath the plywood to avoid ripping the rubber membrane.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #32
EarlJr

Walking on the roof

Just got back from a tour of the manufacturing plant in Indiana, where I learned that it is safe to walk on the roof, assuming normal safety precautions are observed.
EarlJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #33
kingji

Cool Walking on the roof...

My Springdale fifthwheel didn't come with a ladder, I didn't notice this until I got it home. I started looking at adding a aftermarket ladder but I have a big window on the back and the back section of fiberglass siding surrounding the window feels hollow and I was concerned about the lack of support. I was kinda of taking the hint that the top on this particular camper was really meant to be walked on a whole lot. I might if I had to, but I going to do my best to stay off of it. My previous fifthwheel had a ladder and I got on top of it a couple of times a year but using extreme caution to step on the supports.
JK
kingji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #34
DEW

Does anyone know if you can add a ladder to a Laredo? I have a 2011 291TG - well it is still on order atleast...
2003 Avalanche 5.3L w/ 4:10 gears
Reese HP Dual Cam
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #35
Flyguy

Best I can tell it's best to order the trailer with the factory installing it! If you already have it then it needs to be checked for the proper internal supports before you go installing a ladder on it. Well anyway that's what I've heard.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #36
KanTC

Post RE: Laredo ladder

DEW,

According to the current Laredo website the TT comes standard with a rear ladder, BUT... the current brochure/flyer doesn't show the same. I'd suggest contacting your dealer & ask about the conflicting info.

http://keystone-laredo.com/index.php?page=standards

2011 Laredo Travel Trailer flyer (dated Nov 2010)

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/doc...dFlyer2011.pdf

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #37
jq1031

My New Laredo TT does not have a ladder & it was just built (off line) on Feb 24th! If you check further on that website, the ladder is on the 5er not the TT.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 AM   #38
Maxzd

Walk on my roof for maintenance and installs all the time. I usually step carefully where I can see a joist but I don't tip toe around though..

Installed vent covers satellite dishes, solar panels. Never an issue walking or being up there. Maintenance same thing cleaning up there a few times a year. Just extra careful thats all. I am fortunate to have a ladder attached, never crossed my mind not having one..

I installed the digital wingman add on and instantly got more channels. Where I was parked, I could pick up three. After install I got 16 digital channels. Keep in mind you need a digital tv with an atsc tuner built in or an external digital tuner hooked up to an analog tv otherwise it's not going to do much of anything...

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #39
DEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
My New Laredo TT does not have a ladder & it was just built (off line) on Feb 24th! If you check further on that website, the ladder is on the 5er not the TT.
Thanks for the info... I also saw on some other posts in a different thread that the Superlite series do not have the support built into the frame to handle the weight/pressure of someone climbing the ladder. I guess I have no choice but to get a step ladder now...
2003 Avalanche 5.3L w/ 4:10 gears
Reese HP Dual Cam
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #40
SLIMSHADIE

I called keystone and at least on my model and/or most superlites it was advised to not to add a ladder, no support. I also talked to a couple different dealers, which told me the same thing.

So i was thinking about a telescoping ladder, kind of pricey but want something. Around xmas I seen those Werner Mt 13' ladders on sale for $75(lowes/home depot). I asked for it as a present. I have it know but have not used it yet. I use a step ladder all the time, hanging lights off the awning, checking the slide before closing it. So I thought this might be better all aorund. Its a little heavy and bulky but I think wiil work good. Just need to check to see if it will get me to the roof?