Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 AM   #1
timdenkers

Exclamation How to determine LP is automatic

I just recently purchased a 2004 sprinter 299RLS and I'm trying to determine if the LP bottle automactically switch when one runs out. I have looked through all the manuals and can't determine if it has this feature. How can I tell?
timdenkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Flyguy

I has the same situation when I bought my Passport, it came with a two stage gas regulator with a tee on the top so that you just opened both bottles at the same time and both fead the system or you can just open one at a time and when one runs out you close it and open the other (not the best system). I purchased a Marshall 250 regulator assembly and changed out the OEM one and have been happy ever since! Now when one bottle runs out it automatically changes to the other bottle and I just rotate the little handle to the other side and remove the empty bottle for filling and not interrupt the gas flow to the trailer. Here's a link to my homepage with a picture from the Marshall catalog showing the model 250: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/LP%20Gas...as%20Valve.pdf Hope this helps.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
tocools

I for one do not want the auto switch over. We had it on our 5ther when we owned it and before you know it both bottles run out. But if one runs out you just switch it over and have time to fill the one that ran out.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
SLIMSHADIE

I agree with tocools, I have an auto switch over but I only turn one tank open at a time. I want to know when it runs out of propane. So far it seems, we use 1 - 30# per season even though I have 2.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

I have a Marshall 254 auto changeover regulator on two tanks. The regulator is set up in such a way that the indicator on top of the regulator will be green if both tanks are open. When the tank that is being used runs out of propane, it will automatically switch to the other tank and the indicator will turn red - indicating that the first tank is now empty and needs to be refilled.
The problem is that you wont know if it is empty and the indicator is red unless you check the colour from time to time. If you have a rough idea of how long one tank lasts with normal use, you could start checking the indicator colour.
Another problem is that not many people know about this indicator and where to look for it. It is not easy to spot or to see what colour it is. It is located at the very top of the assembly and appears to be in a clear, plastic dome/knob shaped housing.
It is probably best to use whatever system works for you. One tank open, the other shut OR both tanks opened and rely on the auto system.

Marshall puts out a handy and informative little booklet called "What You Should Know About Your LP Gas System and its Proper Care". You might find this online or pick one up from a Propane dealer or a propane/gas service retailer.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
timdenkers

Wink Thanks for all the good suggestions

I also have a regulator with the indicator on it, not sure what model yet. The guy that I bought the trailer from did mention to me what you just explained so I think it is an auto system. I'll check tomorrow inthe sun light. Do most folks only use one bottle per season or is that rare? Again thanks
timdenkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
tocools

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdenkers View Post
I also have a regulator with the indicator on it, not sure what model yet. The guy that I bought the trailer from did mention to me what you just explained so I think it is an auto system. I'll check tomorrow inthe sun light. Do most folks only use one bottle per season or is that rare? Again thanks
We use two but our season is year round in CA