Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
jambull

two parter..RV winterize...winter RV storage

not to sure where to ask this question, just move it if its in the wrong area...its how should you winterize your RV ..AND..would stowing your RV under a large, breathable ,rainproof,mildew proof tarp work over a eastern ontario damp canada winter ?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you do a Google search on "winterizing RV's" you will find a number of articles which should assist you. There should have been something in your owner's manual about winterizing.
The topic of covering RV's has been discussed and posted on this forum so you might do a search here for that aspect of winterizing. You will get a variety of opinions --- yes, it is ok to cover..... no, it isnt. You didnt mention what type of "tarp" you were considering but if it is one of those blue, waterproof poly tarps ... I think most people would definitely say "no". There are some commercial covers available that people use --- some are water resistant rather than waterproof. Most are advertised as being breathable.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
JSSML

Hey JamBull

I too am in Ottawa. Last year I had a Jayco Tent trailer and did cover it. I opened it in the spring and the sink was full of surface rust. I talked to a few people in the area and they seem to just cover the Air and put a plastic bag over the fridge and hot water tank cover. As for the tree??? I would only do so after the leaves have all fallen off? and worry about falling branch's during the winter with snow on them?

Where did you purchase your Bullet?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
jambull

yes , I have read up a bit on the "tarp" issue, seems you do more damage if the thing is not breathable. and like you say most cover the intake holes of the appliances and the a/c. well, will keep reading up and make a decision later in the fall. also, we did purchase the bullet in may of this year at open roads RV in Stittsville,Ont..where did you buy yours and how long ago ?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Another concern about covering, is the wind which causes the cover to billow and flap about. Even when they are secured with the cover straps along the front, rear and both sides, a strong wind gets underneath the cover and lifts both the top and the sides up. This billowing and flapping may cause wear on the fiberglass sides but more importantly along the edges where the rubber roof meets the sides. There is a fairly sharp corner here and it is subjected to being scuffed or worn by the movement of the cover. The rubber membrane is very thin and it doesn't take much abrasion for it to wear through leaving a hole in it.
The wind is the biggest concern that I have about covers.

And living in Ottawa where you are subjected to a lot of hot air coming from the wind bags who "work" on Parliament Hill, I would be extra cautious about covering your RV.

Whoops! I hope you don't work on the Hill.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
JSSML

Jambull,

I bought my passport in Hamilton. I bought my last trailer at Open Roads and had awsome experience. I tried to by Passport from them but they were unable to get it. Even though they are a Keystone dealer they don't have the passport. But before I bought it I made sure that they would service it. If you have any question they have the best service i have ever seen. Go in and talk to Rob the service manager. He has helped me a bunch.

I would guess that covering is not your best choice. I pass the dealer all winter and they cover nothing?????
Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
jambull

well festus2, no worries, I am not employed by the government, so I am not a government employee, and for them to be called government workers they would actually have to do some.(work that is ,not just punch the clock )...and yes JSSML I deal with rob at open roads often , I have a small list of things to repair/replace under warranty..his answer to many things is,no problem. and yes the service is great there,we had a taillight out on my truck and thought it was a bulb,the service tech dave,who was on his way home, stopped by our truck and got a volt meter and checked it out for us ,the bulb was fine turned out it was a fuse he replaced it no charge and headed home..so yes there are a lot of sad tales about keystone warranty and service but the open roads group are very customer service orientated. and like you ,they did not have the our bullet 278RLS on site so we asked them to bring one in , and we purchased it after viewing it. now they have a few keystone bullet models on the lot (me thinks this lightweight trailer idea is helping everyone's sales) ..so maybe it would be best to go cover less this winter ,and just cover the appliances and A/C.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
JSSML

I can't believe you are able to tow the Bullet with your ranger? I have a 2910BH i tow it with a GMC 1500HD with a 6 ltr 4X4. it ways a little more than yours but not much? How do you like the Bullet? We liked the Bullet but couldn't get the full deep slide. Where do you park your trailer? Where do you enjoy camping in the area?

Open Roads is great. Jason is a great buddy of mine. I promote them all I can. I can never say enough.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
jambull

yes ,we tow the bullet with the ranger without too much of a problem, its a 2007 fx4 ,4 liter 6 cyl automatic, it came with a class 3 receiver and automatic transmission cooler,heavy duty single coil shocks,and a 4.10 rear axle. the only thing I have done was added a K+N air filter and replaced the tail gate with a pro net for better gas mileage . the trailer too has a contoured front end and enclosed underbelly ,and a weight of 5020 lbs,so that must help as well to tow it . there is just my girlfriend and myself ,but we love the bullet, lots of room for the two of us. we park it all here in the lane way,lots of room . we just came back today from riverside /cedar view park down near Morrisburg,Ont ,one of the parks of the st Lawrence. very nice and very good weather low 20 c and lots of sunshine,what camping is all about (no bugs too ). we tend to stick around the area no more then a 2 hours drive in most cases .
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Seann
Permanent User Ban

Save your money on the cover.. they do more damage than the weather does.
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote