Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2021, 04:34 AM   #1
Coreyj72

I purchased a 2021 sprinter 3190rls towing with a 2018 ram 2500 diesel. Has road armor pin box and road armor suspension. Dealer set me up with demco 16k hitch have terrible chucking. Our sink magnet sink cover dish strainer come of sink turns on water all over camper refrigerator at jumbled up. Everyone says buy a fifth wheel pulls the best. Not true with this one. Need advice. Just bought a b&w companion 20k hitch.
Coreyj72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyj72 View Post
I purchased a 2021 sprinter 3190rls towing with a 2018 ram 2500 diesel. Has road armor pin box and road armor suspension. Dealer set me up with demco 16k hitch have terrible chucking. Our sink magnet sink cover dish strainer come of sink turns on water all over camper refrigerator at jumbled up. Everyone says buy a fifth wheel pulls the best. Not true with this one. Need advice. Just bought a b&w companion 20k hitch.
Some of the issue could be the truck!
That rv GVWR of 12900lbs x 23% = 2900+ lb pin weight + a couple hundred lbs for the B&W hitch + whoever/whatever is loaded in the truck on a 3/4 truck may be exceeding the payload.
Check the yellow/white tag on the drivers door jamb for the payload of THAT truck then subtract the weights mentioned above.
Don't post the rv dry weight or the max tow weight of your Ram, both of those are useless numbers in the rv world.
Will your Ram tow that much weight? YEP!
Can your Ram safely carry that much weight? Til you post the payload we don't know for sure!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:53 AM   #3
spicercars

Welcome from Northern MN.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:59 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First off congrats on your new purchase, let’s see if we can get you set up so it does tow smooth. A lot more truck information is needed. Short/long bed? 2WD or 4WD? Regular cab? And as posted, the weights from the federal tag.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:29 AM   #5
dutchmensport

I also have a Demco Recon hitch in my truck and I've had no issues with it. Sometimes, the road will be so rough, or I'll hit an expansion joint on a bridge where the trailer will actually left and slam down on the hitch, but that is very rare. I have no chunking either, and no banging when taking off or stopping. My previous travel trailer did a lot of "banging" because my receiver hitch had a lot of slop in it, allowing slight movement forward and back, causing banging. But not with the Recon.

However, on many, many occasions, with my fifth wheel, even though the roads may seem perfectly smooth, when arriving at our destination, things are in a disarray in the camper. Drawers may even pop open, things fall, and things get shuffled around in the cabinets.

Over time, we've learned how to button things down a bit tighter. When things move around in the camper, it's not the trucks fault. It's the trailer simply bouncing up and down, sometimes violently.... an it's never noticed inside the truck.

If things are moving around for you in the camper, then you need to secure them better. It's just that simple. Another thing, if you are driving like you would normally when not towing, you are driving too fast. Most trailer tires are rated at 65 mph. You should never tow faster than what your tires are rated for. Even if the speed limit is 80, you should never go more than 65 if that's the tire rating. Also, faster driving causes more aggressive g-forces bouncing up and down on the camper.

I have a feeling, all you need to do to correct all your problems is to slow down when towing. It WILL make a huge difference in how much things get beat-up inside the camper.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:48 AM   #6
CedarCreekWoody

Regarding things shaking when towing this is common. Some thing just need to be stowed, such as sink covers. If your faucets flowed water while towing you left the pump turned on. Turn it off while towing. Your truck is likely overloaded. My Ram 3/4 ton diesel has a payload around 2200, yours is likely similar.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Very good points have been made pertaining to probable weight overload on the truck and the fact that some things in an RV have to be stowed in a manner that keeps them from "coming undone"....because they will if we don't.

OP joined 10 days ago and hasn't returned to this thread since. Might be they are busy with the new trailer or ??

BTW, welcome to the forum coreyj72. Hope you are enjoying that new trailer and hopefully you find the information provided helpful.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags