Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
Javi

15K A/C in bedroom

After all the bantering about to much A/C causing wet, damp cool air in a trailer I thought I'd report on my actual experience with two 15K A/C's in a 35 foot 5th wheel and Central Texas weather...

I've been camping since Tuesday afternoon in Dawson, Texas. The weather has been 90 degrees every day with hit and miss summer thunderstorms every day and it looks like it'll be a repeat again today. Humidity was 78% yesterday but only 58% so far today...

The new 15K in the bedroom has performed flawlessly there is no moisture dripping from any of the registers, even in the bath.

The 13.5K that I replaced struggled last year to keep the trailer cool even in the relatively cool 90 degrees we're blessed with today. In fact neither it nor the living area 15K would cycle during the heat of the day even at 90 degrees outside temps.

The dual 15K a/c's are at least cycling nicely with the bedroom cycling off for 30 minutes frequently .

I won't say that everyone needs dual 15K a/c's but if you live in Central Texas or other areas with high humidity and 90 + temps.... it's worth the little extra costs involved. I can't hardly wait for the normal 100 degree plus Texas weather to come back... Last year was no fun but I'm thinking this'll help.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:16 AM   #2
John&Genny

Javi: One thing I did to my 320RS was install the RV Airflow system modifications. You can learn a bit about that here on this "Changing Lanes" video:

https://youtu.be/V9rEQb05Qv4

I purchased two of these for the Main & Bedroom A/C's and they make a tremendous difference in the airflow from the vents. The only downside is they disable the quick air dumps, but if your vent airflow is increased around 40%, you don't really need the dumps. The other downside is they are not cheap, around $150 each with the discount. But I will say the darn things do work.

https://rvairflow.com/
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:12 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Javi: One thing I did to my 320RS was install the RV Airflow system modifications. You can learn a bit about that here on this "Changing Lanes" video:

I purchased two of these for the Main & Bedroom A/C's and they make a tremendous difference in the airflow from the vents. The only downside is they disable the quick air dumps, but if your vent airflow is increased around 40%, you don't really need the dumps. The other downside is they are not cheap, around $150 each with the discount. But I will say the darn things do work.

Thanks for the info, I don't have to worry about the dump feature because the Avalanche is a sealed system... very quiet
Old 07-19-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

Those "vent kits" only work on air conditioning systems that have access to the inside of the "top unit" from INSIDE the RV... Trailers built with the "quiet air system" do not have INSIDE access to the top unit and there is no way to install the "vent kit"....

So, before going beyond "the curiosity phase" determine the type of air conditioning installation you have. If it's all "on the roof with no access from inside, the kit's aren't for your type system...

As Javi commented, they won't work on his system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
rhagfo

Well we do ok in our unit with a single 15K unit, I will qualify that with I did a sealing job with the aluminum duct tape. Our system has four ceiling vents, good air flow to all.
We get partial shade in our site, but temperatures have consistently been over 90 with several near or at 100 degrees.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #6
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Those "vent kits" only work on air conditioning systems that have access to the inside of the "top unit" from INSIDE the RV... Trailers built with the "quiet air system" do not have INSIDE access to the top unit and there is no way to install the "vent kit"....

So, before going beyond "the curiosity phase" determine the type of air conditioning installation you have. If it's all "on the roof with no access from inside, the kit's aren't for your type system...

As Javi commented, they won't work on his system.
Your right John. I forgot that Javi had one of the newer Avalanche's, which most now come installed with the Quiet Air system. Wish I had one of those as it's always a hassle to turn up/down the volume on the TV based just on the A/C operation
Old 07-19-2021, 07:59 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Your right John. I forgot that Javi had one of the newer Avalanche's, which most now come installed with the Quiet Air system. Wish I had one of those as it's always a hassle to turn up/down the volume on the TV based just on the A/C operation
The RV Airflow addition to our Dometic A/C has quieted it down a bit but I had previously added a small sound bar so the television can be heard over the A/C. When the sound bar is in use, it can't be heard outside the camper and is barely audible in the bedroom (upstairs in our fifth wheel) with the door closed. Our bathroom is between the TV and bed area so that seems to be a reason it is fairly quiet. This is important to us as my wife likes her sleep (A LOT) and I am an early riser.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well we do ok in our unit with a single 15K unit, I will qualify that with I did a sealing job with the aluminum duct tape. Our system has four ceiling vents, good air flow to all.
We get partial shade in our site, but temperatures have consistently been over 90 with several near or at 100 degrees.
Yep... we also resealed both units and all the duct work while it was in the shop.. But I got to tell you it was 95` Friday and both units would cycle off for 15-20 minutes at a time.. we even left the ceiling fan off all day and there no condensation inside the unit at all.. I couldn't be happier and look forward to the 100 plus days now..
Old 07-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #9
John&Genny

I did a bunch of aluminum tape duct work shortly after we purchased the RV. Anything like this certainly helps. Another thing I did was replace all the vents with a Thetford replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-9427...YBH/ref=sr_1_2

Much better airflow than the stock OEM vents that came with the trailer. So like Javi and rhagfo mentioned, there are things you can do to keep you cool, even when the temps get up in the 100 degree range, which we have seen a lot this summer in the pacific northwest.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:20 AM   #10
4Buck

Quote:
I did a bunch of aluminum tape duct work shortly after we purchased the RV. Anything like this certainly helps. Another thing I did was replace all the vents with a Thetford replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-9427...YBH/ref=sr_1_2

Much better airflow than the stock OEM vents that came with the trailer. So like Javi and rhagfo mentioned, there are things you can do to keep you cool, even when the temps get up in the 100 degree range, which we have seen a lot this summer in the pacific northwest.
Are these the same size as the factory ones you replaced? The flange is tight?
4Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:33 AM   #11
{tpc}

Is there a way to tell the difference between a 13.5k and 15k coleman mach unit? Like a physical appearance, or is there some other way? We have a coleman unit, and I thought it was 15k but maybe it is 13.5. It struggled a bit in 90 degree Tennessee sun but it was pretty much full sun all day, and humid as well.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #12
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Buck View Post
Are these the same size as the factory ones you replaced? The flange is tight?
Yes, the original vent had a 1.5" flange and so these Thetford's had the same size flange. If you have a 1/4" flange, there are other models that will match.

Originally these things were made by JR Products as part number ACG150DPW-A and only cost $7.25 each when I purchased them from RVUpgrade store in 2018. Apparently JR sold the patent to Thetford.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:21 AM   #13
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Is there a way to tell the difference between a 13.5k and 15k coleman mach unit? Like a physical appearance, or is there some other way? We have a coleman unit, and I thought it was 15k but maybe it is 13.5. It struggled a bit in 90 degree Tennessee sun but it was pretty much full sun all day, and humid as well.
Really I think the only difference between the 13.5K unit and 15K unit is they make the fan squirrel cage larger On our RV the main living area is a 15K, and the bedroom is a 13.5. So if you only have one A/C, most likely it's a 15K. One other thing is if you still have the dealer invoice from your purchase, it might list it on there.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Was that struggling in a 19' or a 43' trailer? No trailer infonon your signature line. On my trailer the 15K BTU unit was an option and I'm glad I got it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #15
jsb5717

Quote:

We have the "whisper quiet" AC system as well. I think "whisper" is a stretch but they are quieter. For me the downside is that it is not possible to maximize air flow at the plenum like you can from those you can access from inside the coach. I pulled the cover off of mine and removed the fan/squirrel cage so I could reach down inside to see if A) things were well sealed so that cold air wasn't being pulled into the return air. My installation is taped up very well so that isn't an issue. However, B) there isn't a good way to improve efficiency for the air flow into the ducts, which I believe would add some of the increased air flow that's been discussed.

We are also adding a 15k AC in the bedroom. The single AC just isn't cutting it.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:29 AM   #16
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Was that struggling in a 19' or a 43' trailer? No trailer infonon your signature line. On my trailer the 15K BTU unit was an option and I'm glad I got it.
31 foot trailer.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:58 AM   #17
Ibdagriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Our bathroom is between the TV and bed area so that seems to be a reason it is fairly quiet. This is important to us as my wife likes her sleep (A LOT) and I am an early riser.
I use a pair of headphones plugged into the back of the TV with an 6 foot extension on it.. I'm up at 6 or earlier and the wife prefers something closer to 9AM.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:04 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibdagriz View Post
I use a pair of headphones plugged into the back of the TV with an 6 foot extension on it.. I'm up at 6 or earlier and the wife prefers something closer to 9AM.

Griz
Our soundbar is plugged into the headphone jack (can't recall what that jack type is) and the missus (sleeps till at least 9AM while camping) can't hear it in our upstairs bedroom (5th wheel) as the bathroom is on the adjacent wall as the TV/soundbar.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #19
mj5150

We experienced some unusual heat here in Washington State last month. It got into the mid 100's. But this behavior also happens in the upper 80's.
About halfway through the day, the AC in the living room of our Raptor (2017 412TS) gave up. It was still blowing air, just none of it was cold.
This happens rather frequently, the AC just turns into a fan partway through a hot day. Later on as the day cools down, it starts blowing cold again.
The bedroom AC is about the same, but it takes longer until the AC part of it stops working and it's just a fan.
Both the living room and bedroom AC's will drop water at some point, but it takes longer for the bedroom AC to do so.
We never run the AC in the garage/office long enough for it to tucker out.

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:46 AM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj5150 View Post
We experienced some unusual heat here in Washington State last month. It got into the mid 100's. But this behavior also happens in the upper 80's.
About halfway through the day, the AC in the living room of our Raptor (2017 412TS) gave up. It was still blowing air, just none of it was cold.
This happens rather frequently, the AC just turns into a fan partway through a hot day. Later on as the day cools down, it starts blowing cold again.
The bedroom AC is about the same, but it takes longer until the AC part of it stops working and it's just a fan.
Both the living room and bedroom AC's will drop water at some point, but it takes longer for the bedroom AC to do so.
We never run the AC in the garage/office long enough for it to tucker out.

-Mike
That sounds more like they're freezing up... you might check and clean the coils..

Tags
bed, bedroom