Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
Randallf

Angry Slides on sprinter 5th wheel

Hello all!!
Well it’s getting to be Rv time and I’ll be back on here for a while now.
I do have a problem I need assistance with.
After de winterizing my sprinter I notice my slides were (2) slides out of 3 were
Making noise and jerking . I made a call to camping world. I made an appointment took it to them. I had them adjust the slides, however when they
We’re done I was told that the seals were making it jerk and the noise.
The Rv is only 4 years old and we use it a couple times a month.
Can any give me some input about this.? Camping world wants $2K to repair
The seals. Also, I was told this may not fix the problem due to weather conditions.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Randallf
2017 Sprinter fifth wheel
Pulling with a 2016 Silverado 4x4shortbed
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:04 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

On my way to bed but; what kind of slides do you have, cable/hydraulic etc? What is the covering on the bottom of the slides? Darco? Some specifics on what you have and what you are dealing with (materials etc.) goes a long way in helping in this kind of a situation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:00 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree, what type of slide? Seals rarely make a slide jerky if it’s cable actuated.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

The seals were making noise and making it jerk? Did they show you what they were talking about or have you looked all around the slide to see? Maybe they need to be wiped down or something but the only time a seal ever made my slide jerk was when the slide tore the seal up, peeled it back and rolled it up under the slide. Other than that I'm not sure they know what they're talking about.

I love the "out" they gave themselves; pay them 2k to replace the seals but "it may not fix the problem due to weather???" Let us help you out, sounds like they just want to get in your pocketbook and make themselves at home.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
travelin texans

Name:   BS Meter.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  14.2 KB
My thinking about your dealer & their half a## explanation!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:08 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Attachment 33282
My thinking about your dealer & their half a## explanation!
Darn, where is that LIKE button.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:45 PM   #7
Randallf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
On my way to bed but; what kind of slides do you have, cable/hydraulic etc? What is the covering on the bottom of the slides? Darco? Some specifics on what you have and what you are dealing with (materials etc.) goes a long way in helping in this kind of a situation.
Thank you for your response. All I know is the slides are on cables and made by lippert
Mfg company
Not sure about the seals . How do I find out.
Thanks
Old 05-02-2021, 02:14 AM   #8
Vet4jdc

I would start by not going to CW. Second I would spray WD40 with PFTE lube on the darco on the underside of the slides. Third I would use some slide seal lubricant on the inner and outer seals. This will likely fix your issues.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:52 AM   #9
German Shepherd Guy

Well, Randollf, the OP, still has not said what type of slides he has but...A couple months back there was a post here about jerky slides. Cable, Darco undercovering. The person put soap on the Darco, just bar soap rubbed on, and it eliminated the problem.

Well my slide on the kitchen side was doing the same and so I tried it. It worked. I now have a bar of soap (Lifeboy) in the tool box and use it every so often on the Darco.
Not sure how long term this solution is but it is something to try.

The BS meter topped out when imputed with his dealers answer. I would definitely look for another service center.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #10
Randallf

Thanks all , will try all of this
I’ll keep you all up to the status
Randallf
Old 05-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallf View Post
Thank you for your response. All I know is the slides are on cables and made by lippert
Mfg company
Not sure about the seals . How do I find out.
Thanks
Cable slides are NOT Lippert, They are BAL (Norco) and you can buy the seal on Amazon EASY to replace.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Well, Randollf, the OP, still has not said what type of slides he has but...A couple months back there was a post here about jerky slides. Cable, Darco undercovering. The person put soap on the Darco, just bar soap rubbed on, and it eliminated the problem.

Well my slide on the kitchen side was doing the same and so I tried it. It worked. I now have a bar of soap (Lifeboy) in the tool box and use it every so often on the Darco.
Not sure how long term this solution is but it is something to try.

The BS meter topped out when imputed with his dealers answer. I would definitely look for another service center.

A bar of soap is an "old grandma remedy" for a sticking zipper... The updated "mom remedy" is to rub a candle on the zipper.... Both, the soap and a bit of candle wax can do wonders for things around the RV that don't slip and slide easily..... They may not be a permanent fix, but they sure will get you through this trip, until you can get to a NAPA to buy some WD40 with PTFE.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:03 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A bar of soap is an "old grandma remedy" for a sticking zipper... The updated "mom remedy" is to rub a candle on the zipper.... Both, the soap and a bit of candle wax can do wonders for things around the RV that don't slip and slide easily..... They may not be a permanent fix, but they sure will get you through this trip, until you can get to a NAPA to buy some WD40 with PTFE.
Back when we bought our current railer one of the items was the back (bathroom door) was sticking. The tech pulled a block of beez wax out of his coveralls and fixed in 10 seconds. Beezs wax and graphite for the locks has served me well over the years.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Back when we bought our current railer one of the items was the back (bathroom door) was sticking. The tech pulled a block of beez wax out of his coveralls and fixed in 10 seconds. Beezs wax and graphite for the locks has served me well over the years.
We "always have a bar of soap" in the shower and I keep a couple of "emergency candles" in my trailer. There's are many "scratch/scrape marks" on the side of both candles and I don't think either wick has any burn stains from ever being "lit in an emergency" but those candles sure do get used every camping season..... I can't count the number of times I've used my trusty "Old Timer" pocket knife to "powderize" the lead from a pencil into a tablespoon and then use a piece of paper to funnel that graphite into a McD's straw and then "blow that into a sticky lock" .... Lots of "fixes" with a candle, a pencil and a bar of soap....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #15
Randallf

I found out my slides are manufactured by Accu Slide
Cable driven
My seals seem to be in great shape
Randallf
Old 05-22-2021, 10:13 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallf View Post
I found out my slides are manufactured by Accu Slide
Cable driven
My seals seem to be in great shape
Randallf

FYI - The slides are made by Bal/Norco and they call them Accu Slides.

https://www.balrvproducts.com/produc...de/index.shtml

Tags
5th wheel, slide, sprinter