Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
r1burden

Camper Trips GFI outlets

I have a 2010 Keystone SpringDale 232RBLWE and I am having an issue. When I plug into A GFI outlet. It trips the outlet. I have found that if in the camper I turn off the breaker for what appears to be written "Congline", it may be "Shoreline" The handwriting is very bad. I have determined this breaker controls all outlets not marked as GFI , and the lights. It must also be the breaker that should allow to charge the battery when plugged into shore power Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this.
r1burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1burden View Post
I have a 2010 Keystone SpringDale 232RBLWE and I am having an issue. When I plug into A GFI outlet. It trips the outlet. I have found that if in the camper I turn off the breaker for what appears to be written "Congline", it may be "Shoreline" The handwriting is very bad. I have determined this breaker controls all outlets not marked as GFI , and the lights. It must also be the breaker that should allow to charge the battery when plugged into shore power Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this.
The breaker may say "Converter" this is what charges your battery and supplies 12v dc for lights and other dc circuits. When turned off your battery should give you lights ... if not it may be dead. When you say you plug into a GFIC outlet do you mean a 15amp outlet on the side of your house? If so your trailer may be drawing more amps the that circuit can supply or the adapter is hitting the test button when you plug in. If the battery is low the converter alone can draw close to what that outlet can supply. Once the battery is charged that outlet may be enough to maintain it.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
r1burden

I have a 20amp circuit at my home. The problem happens at my home as well as the last campground i.was staying at. If I plug the travel trailer into non protected outlet it works fine. I managed to camp ok i just had to use non gfic outlets. The lights got a little dim but they worked. Does this help?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

If at a campground with a 30amp RV outlet why would you use an adapter to plug into a 20amp. If you are tripping the ground fault and not the breaker I would suspect the adapter plug you are using.Your lights are 12v dc and run off your battery or your converter when plugged into shore power. It is normal for lights to dim and brighten as the converter turns on and off keeping the battery charged and if near the panel you should also hear the cooling fan come on and off.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
Terrydactile

Sometimes when you plug into a ground fault outlet and there is a load (something turned on) they will trip. Try this, turn off the main breaker in the camper or the breaker that protects the outlet then plug in and turn the breaker back on. Also you can manually trip the outlet by pushing the test button then plug in and reset the outlet. Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
r1burden

It trips the breaker at my home with the plug and adapter 20amp it trips the plug at the camp ground with 30 amp with RV plug...It trips the breaker and camp ground using the 20amp connection with the adapter. If I turn off the converter in the breaker box of the trailer it will not trip the GFIC . As soon as I turn on the breaker in the RV it trips the GFIC circuit at home and at the campground. If I plug into a non GFIC outlet at my home I can have the breaker for the converter on and it works fine. this is a recent development, this has just started on my last trip. I made sure nothing was on...and unplugged if It was possible. I am just trying to get an idea on what may cause the issue with the convertor breaker on in the trailer tripping any GFIC outlet I plug the shoreline into. Does this make sense?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
ifishsum

GFCI breakers are designed to trip on the slightest current fault - it could be a small amount of moisture somewhere in that circuit, or a slightly bad connection that is bleeding a tiny amount of power to ground. It doesn't take much to trip a GFCI compared to a normal breaker.

It helps that you have isolated the condition to a particular circuit, and your observation that it does not trip a normal breaker (only a GFCI) should further narrow it down. If I understand correctly, you are not tripping the GFCI inside the trailer itself, only the external one you connect to.

I think the affected breaker you found in the trailer is "CONV/GEN" - have you actually found any outlets on that circuit that are not labeled GFCI? The only I can think of is maybe the 110V refrigerator plug-in, and that's a common one for getting moisture into so I'd probably start there. Cut all 110V power to the trailer, open the outside refrigerator access panel, unplug the refrigerator from the outlet in there and check it out. Even if it doesn't really seem damp, run a fan or hair dryer over the outlet for a while to be sure it's dry (low heat or fan only). If you have found other outlets affected by that breaker, do the same with them. It could also be that your converter has a problem or there is a small amount of moisture in that area - possibly from the refrigerator.

Hope these suggestions help. If you can't solve it yourself I think you should have it checked out by a pro.
ifishsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
r1burden

I will give that a try ...thanks for the info
Old 07-06-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
Johnnyfry

GFI tripping

From the description it sounds like an internal fault in the converter itself. Excessive leakage to ground.

That could turn into a dangerous situation if you have the misfortune to plug into an improperly grounded park outlet.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
jgavin

converter short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
From the description it sounds like an internal fault in the converter itself. Excessive leakage to ground.

That could turn into a dangerous situation if you have the misfortune to plug into an improperly grounded park outlet.

John
I'm recently having the same problem. I have shut down my fuzion breakers & still getting the outside GFI to pop. Could that happen with a bad converter?

John
jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
r1burden

ALL good so far 2012

It must have been moisture in the circuit. 2012 no issues so far, everything is working
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Philip Saran

I ended up adding a designated 30 amp RV plug at my side yard where
my TT is stored. I found that I could not run the A/C when plugged
into a 15 or 20 amp house plug.
Philip Saran is offline   Reply With Quote